1997 DX hatch

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Update 7-22-11

I was going to save up for full coilovers, but I couldn't wait to lower my car, especially with the new rims. So, I picked up some Skunk2 coilover sleeves on OEM struts. The guy who sold them to me said that the struts had around 30,000 miles and were from an '00 Si (I'm pretty sure the Si has the same struts as a DX though) and the coilover sleeves have around 7,000 miles. The milage is kinda high for both, but anything beats my 160,xxx OEM struts and shocks that I can literally compress with my hand.

Full set:

Fronts:

Rears:

As you can probably see, they paint on the springs is flaking pretty bad. I was thinking about getting them powder coated, but I'm not sure if it is worth it. I plan on buying full coilovers eventually.

4x4 status:

Hopefully I can install them later this week on my day off. I plan on just doing a mild drop at first, until I get a proper camber kit.

I wasn't going to even attempt a wire tuck until I got a new motor, but CHILD's new EK build inspired me to at least try. I think I'm going to clean the bay a little this week and do little bits of the harness at a time until I'm satisfied.

CH33V5

RealEyesRealizeRealLies
Registered VIP
Looking really good dude!

KILL!

Marine.
Man that is super clean, with a nice wet sand and buff you could have it shine!!! KEEP IT CLEAN!.. Just do it right, don't do the ":LET ME TRY THIS" with the car... Just do it correctly! =)

I say drop, rims, Tint... Beyond that you can go crazy with Lips and paint match, etc etc.

Good luck!
could be wrong, but don't think you can wet buff milano red back once it goes pink. something about purple and orange and clear coat = milano red...just saying. lol :shock:

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Update 7-27-11

I finally had a day off, and installed my Skunk2 adjustable coilover sleeves.

Before:

After:

I'm currently running on a 2" drop. When I was installing them, I noticed that I have two different front upper control arms!?

Right:

Left:

Is it just me, or does that left one look adjustable? Definitely not OEM.

One other thing, the rear shocks did not have a bolt welded on the outside, like my original ones. Luckily the bolts that go on top of the strut and have to be loosened from inside of the car fit perfectly, win.

Another minor update, I colored the numbers on my shift knob using melted crayons. It may sound weird, but I found it in the Interior How -To section. It looks really nice and works. I kinda modeled the colors after the Spoon Duracon knob.

During:

After:

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well, I washed and waxed my car today and as soon as I get to work it rains. I wouldn't let a little rain spoil my photo shoot though.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah, I was thinking of getting a replica CTR front lip. Should I get a rear lip as well?

projectem-1

hey reedmann, sorry i didnt get back to you on friday about the front knuckles. as of right now i dont have time to get to the ups store for shipping quotes im in the process of moving to San Diego for school. if its two expensive to ship i probably wont ship cuz it to much of a hassle. dam nuckles are kind of heavy. ill let you know if i find some time this week or next to get you a quote. Nice build by the way. :word:

civic98ek

Registered VIP
i bought my 98 coupe ex completely stock too and am also going to school full time and working part time. its extremely hard to get s**t done when ya dont have the money. i bought mine in november and since my only mods are wheels, grille, exhaust and header... i need new suspension but dont really have the money right now.. good luck with your build!

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So I ordered replica CTR front lip, rear lip, and grill. When they come in, I'm either going to paint them myself or take them to a local body shop and get them color matched to the car. Should I color match the rest of my trim (side skirts, door handles, mirrors, and side trim) as well? I was thinking about doing it, but keep going back and forth. I've seen so many sick looking Civics with color matched trim, but I've also seen so many sick Civics without too. I really don't know which I should do. What do you guys think?

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nice stuff so far :thumbs up

since you bought the replica CTR lip, i'd paint match everything since the CTR is paint matched. If you would have chose the SiR lip or something carbon fiber i'd say to leave the other bits black.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
nice stuff so far :thumbs up

since you bought the replica CTR lip, i'd paint match everything since the CTR is paint matched. If you would have chose the SiR lip or something carbon fiber i'd say to leave the other bits black.
Yeah, I was kinda leaning towards paint matching for that reason.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Minor Update:

My shipment from Majestic Honda came in yesterday.

Its just new e-brake cables and hardware, the ones that came with my swap are in pretty bad condition.

Also, my lips and grill are on there way along with R97-4 Roma Red paint. I have decided to paint match the trim. Everything should be here in the next week or so.