1999 Honda Civic dash light not working!!

toshiki171

Hi, I just bought 1999 Honda Civic EX 2dr as my new car and has been driven for about 4 days. I am new to this thread and if I make mistakes on technical terms of the car, please correct me.

So I drove at night in the dark and noticed that I couldn't see how fast I was going and that's when I noticed the problem. All the lights for odometer, speed meter, gasoline meter, and hot/cold meter was invisible in the dark. I found two of the fuse (one in front and one inside) was blown (7.5) so I replaced them with new ones but the fuse inside blew again as soon as I turned on the headlight. Like I said, I am new to cars and I have absolutely no idea what the problem is... So if anyone has had the same problem or might know the solution please help me out.

Thanks

RonJ

Banned
If you unplug the dimmer switch, does the fuse still blow when you turn the lights on?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Moved to the interior tech section, since this isn't a DIY ;)

RonJ

Banned
A Red/Blk wire supplies voltage for the radio's dimmer light function when the lights are turned on. Remove the radio and inspect the Red/Blk wire behind the radio for an exposed wire that is causing a short.

toshiki171

A Red/Blk wire supplies voltage for the radio's dimmer light function when the lights are turned on. Remove the radio and inspect the Red/Blk wire behind the radio for an exposed wire that is causing a short.
Okay so I found the red/blk cable and it was exposed, that was causing the dash light to not work?

RonJ

Banned
Okay so I found the red/blk cable and it was exposed, that was causing the dash light to not work?
Tape exposed part of the Red/Blk wire, install new fuse, plug in dimmer switch, and test whether the cluster and climate control lights now work.

toshiki171

It fixed everything. Thanks!!!!!