2 6th gen questions

modernmav

E.I.C.C. Prez
5+ Year Member
hey guys, just got done taking some parts off of my car and found a couple interesting details that i didtn know about. first off, when i took the foglights out of the grill, it had mounting plates for the foglights built into the grill piece, ive never seen that before on other 96-98's , here is where the fogs were for referenc, did the bumpers normally come with mounting spots for them? also they said raybrig on the front of the glass, never noticed that untill they were removed.

2nd question: the mid-wing on the rear of the car, i originally thought it was just some cheap fiberglass piece, but when i removed it, on both sides where it mounted to the car it had 2 little plates that said "Honda ABS" can anybody give me details on this wing, how much it cost and what not? the guy i bought the car from works for a honda dealership so thats where im asuming he got the parts, just never knew they made a mid-wing like that from the factory-pic attached

thanks for any information you guys have

ryanM

those are OEM circular fogs, and that midwing is a SUPER rare option, same goes with your sunroof. you have some damn rare s**t on your car :thumbs up

c_diddy

drove through a tree
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
LongGrain said:
you have some damn rare s**t on your car :thumbs up
forreals, I've never seen a 6th gen hatch with an oem sunroof.

modernmav

E.I.C.C. Prez
5+ Year Member
so should i put it back on? i took it off cause i thought it was some cheapy fiberglass s**t, but now that i know its oem honda, im kinda rethinking it, the sunroof is aftermarket unfortunately, but its still fun because i dont see any other hatchs with one.

i need details on this wing if its really "SUPER rare", im thinking about selling it becuase i need the cash for a new exhaust. if anybodys intersted in the florida area or wherever, let me know and make me an offer.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
u should post better pics of the mid wing..hehe i just want a better look at it..looks nice though..id keep it on

SIRIUS

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I can tell from the pic that the roof is aftermarket and not factory installed. Some dealers will send them out when new to have the roof put in (my buddy used to work at a stereo place and the Honda dealer down the road would send LX Accord/Civics to have roofs installed into them all the time).

My brother wanted an EK hatch when he bought his Em1 new in '99 and the dealer made it very clear that the roof was a no-go from the factory so he ordered an Si instead.

NOTE: I'm referring to USDM Ek's only. I'm fully aware that in other markets the moonroof was an option in the hatch.

Edit: Just read your above post so disregard my comments. Oops.

watisjdm

Clit Commander
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
rareness ftw....i have the 96-98 oem rear lip =)......i was gonna sale it at 1st but i would rather have something that alot of ppl dont have then somethin that alot of ppl do have...so i would keep it if i was up 2 u

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the mounting brackets for the fogs on the bumper is normal

Jezek

No Avatar FTW.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ayo, clear out your inbox man

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
SIRIUS said:
I can tell from the pic that the roof is aftermarket and not factory installed. Some dealers will send them out when new to have the roof put in (my buddy used to work at a stereo place and the Honda dealer down the road would send LX Accord/Civics to have roofs installed into them all the time).

My brother wanted an EK hatch when he bought his Em1 new in '99 and the dealer made it very clear that the roof was a no-go from the factory so he ordered an Si instead.

NOTE: I'm referring to USDM Ek's only. I'm fully aware that in other markets the moonroof was an option in the hatch.

Edit: Just read your above post so disregard my comments. Oops.
6th gen USDM hatches DO come with monroofs from the factory but it's a very rare option as far as I'm aware.

Lots of people don't like the mid-wings. I've seen them on a couple cars.

As for the fogs, yeah, they're supposed to have mounting points in the bumper.

SIRIUS

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
NOFX said:
6th gen USDM hatches DO come with monroofs from the factory but it's a very rare option as far as I'm aware.

Lots of people don't like the mid-wings. I've seen them on a couple cars.

As for the fogs, yeah, they're supposed to have mounting points in the bumper.
No offense but I'd like to see proof of that. I've seen one 6th gen USDM EK hatch that had an OEM moonroof and that was b/c the kid that owned it bought crashed coupe and performed a roof skin swap (more effort than it's worth IMO but anyway).

I have friends that have worked for Honda dealerships (both sales and service) and according to them the hatch was N/A with the roof PERIOD.

watisjdm

Clit Commander
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
idk i mite go with nofx on this one....knos ALOT about honda.....u dern Honda GOOBER

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
SIRIUS said:
No offense but I'd like to see proof of that. I've seen one 6th gen USDM EK hatch that had an OEM moonroof and that was b/c the kid that owned it bought crashed coupe and performed a roof skin swap (more effort than it's worth IMO but anyway).
Go call your friend a liar... I have a coupe and my boyfriend's hatch is sitting right next to it right now. My roof is too short to swap onto his hatch.

My coupe's roof is about a foot or so too short judging from looking out the bedroom window. It's also curved way more. If someone were to do this swap, they would have to add more sheet metal onto the roof and weld it in. That's not sounding very safe to me...

If I'm remembering correctly, we have had a couple members here with factory moonroofs on hatches. I'd love to go take a pic of one right now, but again, they are rare.

PS - Saying "USDM EK" whilest trying to school me on Hondas sounds funny. Okay.. actually it sounds funny anyway.
watisjdm said:
idk i mite go with nofx on this one....knos ALOT about honda.....u dern Honda GOOBER
:lol: Thanks.

PS - Goober also sounds funny. :P

SIRIUS

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
NOFX said:
Go call your friend a liar... I have a coupe and my boyfriend's hatch is sitting right next to it right now. My roof is too short to swap onto his hatch.

My coupe's roof is about a foot or so too short judging from looking out the bedroom window. It's also curved way more. If someone were to do this swap, they would have to add more sheet metal onto the roof and weld it in. That's not sounding very safe to me...

If I'm remembering correctly, we have had a couple members here with factory moonroofs on hatches. I'd love to go take a pic of one right now, but again, they are rare.

PS - Saying "USDM EK" whilest trying to school me on Hondas sounds funny. Okay.. actually it sounds funny anyway.

:lol: Thanks.

PS - Goober also sounds funny. :P
I think you are getting "dealer installed" and "factory installed" mixed up. Honda dealers would offer a roof that was warranteed through them to be installed into cars but this is not a "Honda factory installed roof.

As far as the roof from a coupe to a hatch I should've been more specific as it was more of a graft where the sunroof section was cutout out of the coupe and installed into his hatch. The whole roof wasn't "transplanted" per se.

As far as your last comment regarding the "EK" thing. I'm fully aware that the US hatch has an "EJ" vin but it is common knowledge in the Honda community that the 96-00 hatch is referred to as the "Ek" as to not confuse it with the "EJ" coupe desgnations.

I'm not trying to "school" you in anything, I'm just trying to pass along factual information. You can take it for what it's worth. I feel no need to try and prove anything to anyone here (or anywhere else for that matter).

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
As I said before, to the best of my knowledge there is a factory moonroof. It looks just like other factory 6th gen moonroofs (for example, it is assembled the same as the one on coupes).

I'm just saying that just because your friends who are in sales and parts say they've never seen one and that they think they're "dealer option" that that might not be correct. Btw, in my experience, I've found most people in auto sales know little more than what they are told of each model. I'm not sure what Honda gives the information out on, but they can't explain things like VTEC or valet keys. I know Mitsubishi is supposed to give out little books of some information to share with the customer.

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I'm gonna have to side with Amy on this one, just because i remember reading something about it on another site.

SIRIUS

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
HondaSpeedaX said:
I'm gonna have to side with Amy on this one, just because i remember reading something about it on another site.

Show me pics or atleast have somebody come in here with a factory installed moonroof in a 96-00 USDM hatch.

Not to sound combative but I'm right on this one.