2000 civic wont start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason03c

My mechanic said the distributor connector wasnt getting power. but i tried to start it and it started but died after 2 seconds then there was a nasty and strong smell coming from my car i need help plz

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Going to need more than that to go off of. The equivalent of the vague question you just imposed is like asking why the lights in your house aren't coming on. It can be 1,000 different things. Either provide more information or take it to a mechanic.

Is it getting spark? Is it getting fuel? What is the condition of the cap, rotor, spark plugs, and wires?

Are there any CEL?

What is the smell? Fuel? Oil? Coolant?

RonJ

Banned
Assuming that the mechanic is correct about the distributor connector not getting voltage, then the first thing to check is dash fuse 9 to see whether it is blown.

Jason03c

No its not getting spark, the mechanic said it wasnt getting spark because there is no power to distributor. Yes its getting fuel. All parts are good . And there was a cel for a minute but then it went off.... idk what the smell is

Can it be my cat is clogged?

Last edited by a moderator:

RonJ

Banned
If the engine lacks spark, why would you possibly ask about a clogged cat?

Save your money to hire a mechanic. At present, I suspect that you do not have the mechanical aptitude to handle a DIY fix.

Jason03c

If the engine lacks spark, why would you possibly ask about a clogged cat?

Save your money to hire a mechanic. At present, I suspect that you do not have the mechanical aptitude to handle a DIY fix.
it started up and ran so it has to be getting spark, but then a few seconds later it died and let of a really bad smell

Charlie5280

it started up and ran so it has to be getting spark, but then a few seconds later it died and let of a really bad smell
Can you describe the smell? It is electrical in nature?

I would highly recommend getting a scan tool to check any CEL codes.

Sounds like you could have a short or some sort of electrical gremlin.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So a mechanic said one thing and you are going in a completely different direction? Why?

Jason03c

So a mechanic said one thing and you are going in a completely different direction? Why?
Because the first mechanic said there was no power then . That guy didnt want to help on here and said take it to a mechanic , and the other mechanic said i need a new distributor. Mechanics down here are shady and crooks

I have checked wires myself and there isnt power were ron said there should be

Can you describe the smell? It is electrical in nature?

I would highly recommend getting a scan tool to check any CEL codes.

Sounds like you could have a short or some sort of electrical gremlin.
it might be. I have no check engine light on though will a scanner still pull up codes

Iheartmyej8

It may have stored codes, you can go to your local parts store and they can also check your codes as well as they sell a bluetooth scan tool that works with Android and iPhone, they have a app for android that's really nice.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

It sounds like you need a new distributor is what I'm getting from what your saying, that could of been your smell as well, I'm voting distributor.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

RonJ

Banned
Have you tested whether it now, as before, lacks spark and voltage to the distributor?
I wrote this in post #3:

...the first thing to check is dash fuse 9 to see whether it is blown.
Pull out your multimeter and voltage test installed dash fuse #9. Click the "Fuses" link in my signature.

If the distributor doesn't get voltage, then it can't make spark and the engine won't run. Stop getting distracted and stay focused on solving this one critical issue.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Because the first mechanic said there was no power then . That guy didnt want to help on here and said take it to a mechanic , and the other mechanic said i need a new distributor. Mechanics down here are shady and crooks

it might be. I have no check engine light on though will a scanner still pull up codes
I never said I wouldn't help. I said you had 2 options...1) give us more information because you question was so vague and it's pointless and a waste of our time to throw guesses out or 2) take it to a mechanic if you can't provide this information. Apparently I didn't spell it out enough.

Ron has already told you twice what to start with. Until you provide this basic diagnostic information, we can't go any farther and you aren't going to get any where.

Mechanics down there being shady have nothing to do with you not being able to provide us with enough basic information to even start to find a solution.

Because you keep saying about the mechanic recommending to replace the distributor, it looks like you want us to just say this same thing. Ron, myself, and a few of the others on this site don't believe in replacing parts randomly trying to find a solution. Until you give us a definite answer through diagnosing that you actually need one, you aren't going to get that recommendation. You have yet to provide information backing up the mechanics suggestion to replace the distributor.

Last edited:

Jason03c

Do i need a new distributor. When i crank my car itll lose power very fast , after like 2 to 3 times. The mechanic said i need a new distributor. But another mechanic said my distributor isnt getting power to it. Please help

RonJ

Banned
The mechanic said i need a new distributor. But another mechanic said my distributor isnt getting power to it. Please help
Voltage test the Blk/Yel wire in the distributor plug yourself. Is there voltage or not?

When i crank my car itll lose power very fast , after like 2 to 3 times.
Are you saying the starter loses power and won't crank? If so, charge the battery or have it charged at an auto parts store (free service).

Jason03c

**I took it to a mechanic like Ron suggested since i dont know much about cars and the mechanic said there isnt any voltage so i took it to another and he said i need a new distributor.
** And it started and then died in about 2 seconds , then i tried to start it and it cranked but didnt turn over then i tried once more and it barely would crank it sounded like it lost power . Even after charging the battery after 2 or 3 cranks itll lose power drastically.

Status
Not open for further replies.