Not open for further replies.

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
KScivic said:
Take into account that certain things, like the rear discs, spoiler, seats, will make a difference in weight distribution, probably enough to counter that "better launch". Either way, the EX would be faster, I don't care if it's only a tenth of a second, it's still faster...
A 2lb forward shifted balast would not f**k up weight distrubution on a 127hp motor. And the EX's have a spoiler as well. it's just a different one. they weigh about the same.

And honnestly, the 30lb extra for 4W disc evens the balast of the Si moreso than that of the EX. So yeah, argue your four-hundreths of a second. you can't even blink in that time.

So discounting SPEED, lets look at the other features. It stops better than an EX. It corners better than an EX due to more-even weigh distribution, more efficient brake load, and a stiffened chassis both in the engine bay (front strut bar), and the undercarriage (front and rear sway bars). All in all, it will out-perform a stock EX on a road course, auto-x circuit, or backroad twisties.

KScivic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Eran said:
A 2lb forward shifted balast would not f**k up weight distrubution on a 127hp motor. And the EX's have a spoiler as well. it's just a different one. they weigh about the same.

And honnestly, the 30lb extra for 4W disc evens the balast of the Si moreso than that of the EX. So yeah, argue your four-hundreths of a second. you can't even blink in that time.
Wrong. All EX's do no come with a spoiler. The shop where I turn wrenches, has 3 EX's. All are EK's. One is a 1996, and the other two are 1998's. Only the 1996 came with a spoiler. We have the titles to all three cars, they are all 2-owners, and were all 110% stock when we got them. I'm pretty sure one of the 1998's doesn't have a sunroof either...

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
KScivic said:
Wrong. All EX's do no come with a spoiler. The shop where I turn wrenches, has 3 EX's. All are EK's. One is a 1996, and the other two are 1998's. Only the 1996 came with a spoiler. We have the titles to all three cars, they are all 2-owners, and were all 110% stock when we got them. I'm pretty sure one of the 1998's doesn't have a sunroof either...
Hmm, lets see here.

All EK's .... there's no EK coupes. Ever. Not even the JDM coupes were EK's. Wrong

The spoiler is indeed an OPTION on the EX, but it is common enough, especially on the 99-00's, which is the year range we are discussing.

On 99-00's, the moonroof was NOT an option on EX's, it was standard. Wrong

There is no such thing as 110% stock. You cannot make something more stock than stock. Wrong

Oh, I guess I was wrong on something. All the Si's didn't have spoilers either. So I guess that the spoiler is completely null and void in the weight argument. In fact, it's even MORE common that the Si's not have a spoiler than an EX.

KScivic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Eran said:
Hmm, lets see here.

All EK's .... there's no EK coupes. Ever. Not even the JDM coupes were EK's. Wrong

The spoiler is indeed an OPTION on the EX, but it is common enough, especially on the 99-00's, which is the year range we are discussing.

On 99-00's, the moonroof was NOT an option on EX's, it was standard. Wrong

There is no such thing as 110% stock. You cannot make something more stock than stock. Wrong
Ok, excuse me, 96-00 Honda Civic EX's, not EK's, I stand corrected. If you like I could probably take pictures of the 3 EX's we have, I could show you the stock trunk lids that have no spoilers as well. I know for a fact that our 1998 EX (happens to be red) did not come with a sunroof, or a spoiler. Pretty funny that all the cars had D16Y8's in them, and that VIN plate on the back of each motor matched the title, the dash, and the CARFAX? Hmmmm... An EX without a spoiler? Without a sunroof? No way. Not possible. Somebody must have taken the spoilers off, filled in the holes, and repainted them to match, at the factory. They must have also filled in the sunroof at the factory too. I'm done, you think you know everything, but I just proved you wrong on several points. Earlier you didn't say anything about certain things only being optional or standard on just 99-00's, you said all EX's. Good day, time for bed...

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
KScivic said:
Ok, excuse me, 96-00 Honda Civic EX's, not EK's, I stand corrected. If you like I could probably take pictures of the 3 EX's we have, I could show you the stock trunk lids that have no spoilers as well. I know for a fact that our 1998 EX (happens to be red) did not come with a sunroof, or a spoiler. Pretty funny that all the cars had D16Y8's in them, and that VIN plate on the back of each motor matched the title, the dash, and the CARFAX? Hmmmm... An EX without a spoiler? Without a sunroof? No way. No possible. Somebody must have taken the spoilers off, filled in the holes, and repainted them to match, at the factory. They must have also filled in the sunroof at the factory too. I'm done, you think you know everything, but I just proved you wrong on several points. Earlier you didn't say anything about certain things only being optional or standard on just 99-00's, you said all EX's. Good day, time for bed...
You proved nothing wrong. We're not discussing 96-98 civics. We're discusing 99-00 civics. Have fun proving me wrong in your bed. I'm sure your mad honda knowledge owns mine because you say so and have three cars in your shop that do not relate to the topic at hand. Congrats, homie.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
KScivic said:
Ok, excuse me, 96-00 Honda Civic EX's, not EK's, I stand corrected. If you like I could probably take pictures of the 3 EX's we have, I could show you the stock trunk lids that have no spoilers as well. I know for a fact that our 1998 EX (happens to be red) did not come with a sunroof, or a spoiler. Pretty funny that all the cars had D16Y8's in them, and that VIN plate on the back of each motor matched the title, the dash, and the CARFAX? Hmmmm... An EX without a spoiler? Without a sunroof? No way. Not possible. Somebody must have taken the spoilers off, filled in the holes, and repainted them to match, at the factory. They must have also filled in the sunroof at the factory too. I'm done, you think you know everything, but I just proved you wrong on several points. Earlier you didn't say anything about certain things only being optional or standard on just 99-00's, you said all EX's. Good day, time for bed...
I thought this discussion was about '99-'00s.... you know, like the car the thread is about it. Comparing a '99-'00 Civic EX coupe with a D16Y8 (I'd imagine a manual transmission too) to a '99-'00 Civic Si coupe with a D16Y8 (with manual transmission I imagine). Both cars having comparable options. Judging by her car this includes a moonroof and '99-'00 spoiler. I'm not sure if this includes the front lip and paint on the sideskirts though since they both did not come with this feature even as an option. For arguments's sake, try to make them even and say no front lip and black ABS sideskirts. Neither has ABS (even though the EXs had it as an option, but to be fair... neither does). The Si has rear discs but only because it's standard. the EX has rear drums because that's the only available braking system.

And he knows some EXs didn't have spoilers or moonroofs. Only thing is... the '99-'00s did have moonroofs standard and the spoiler's there supposedly for sake of arguement. Pretty much two cars that look the same, with the same anemic motor, only with different standard options depending on which trim the car is.

KScivic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
96-98, or 99-00. They are the same generation of Civic. Debate that. Too many people in here trying to show they know more than someone else, its childish. The girl that bought this car clearly got ripped off but a few people in here act like they wouldn't care if it were them, they pretty much make it seem like an EX and Si are one in the same, which they are not. I haven't once claimed to know more anyone in this thread. Hell, I don't even claim to know alot about the 96-00 Civic's. In my opinion, the 96-98 and 99-00 Civic body styles were lame, and the only use I have for them are the motors and trannys, take the Y8 heads, sell them for an easy $200, buy a D16Z6 head for $100 or so, have it decked and milled, maybe rebuilt, and put it in an EG/EJ/EH and have a good, strong, low mileage motor and transmission. The rest of the car is pretty much junk to me, I did swap the spindles (including calipers and rotors) onto my LX, having bigger brakes for dirt cheap is nice. I run 1998 EX struts too, because having struts with 66k on them is nice, especially when I have plenty to go through. The EM's having a B-series is nice, but who cares the del Sol had it too, and it was available, from the factory with OBD1. Thanks, have a nice night, thanks for teaching me a few things about the 96-98 and 99-00 Civic's...

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wtf are you all even arguing about..

its an SI.. and there are plenty of Y8's that will TROUNCE a b16a2... the b16a2 is a pretty shitty motor stock.. but no matter WHAT you put in it.. its still an SI...

knock the arguing off..

thanks.

ReggieSD

PoPoy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
this thread is turning out great!!! no offense to the new girl...but it's just too funny how a girl starts a thread and everyone's all over her. i'd bet $100 that i could have my wifey post here, say she's a newbie and post pics of my ride, and no one would even notice it was mine. ;)

PooM

CivicLife.net Owner
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
OMG this thread is legendary, just spent the last 1hr 30mins reading it :P

I think you should get a b16a2 EUDM :D Rockin the EK4 engine :D

Good luck with the swap and keep us updated, love to see how it turns out in the end! :D

supadupat

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
FartCanMan said:
i wish ppl would reply this much for my posts.
If you were a girl...
damn.. this thread should be closed.. the problem was found and solved.. wasn't it?
new problem should go to new topic.. =)

emilyfersure

5+ Year Member
Uhm.. As of 8 am this morning... Theres something nifty sitting in my garage... b18c5.. I have no clue where my dad got it.. I just walked out there to get my phone outta my car.. and happened to look over.. and.. WHOA!.. so i called my dad.. he told me what it was and.. yup. thats the moral of the story.

supadupat

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
emilyfersure said:
Uhm.. As of 8 am this morning... Theres something nifty sitting in my garage... b18c5.. I have no clue where my dad got it.. I just walked out there to get my phone outta my car.. and happened to look over.. and.. WHOA!.. so i called my dad.. he told me what it was and.. yup. thats the moral of the story.
Awesome!..should make a new thread later about your project and get some pictures of it.

the end.

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Congrats, Emily. If you need someone to put it in, I know some of the best.

emilyfersure

5+ Year Member
Eran said:
Congrats, Emily. If you need someone to put it in, I know some of the best.
Thanks! But i think ill trust my dad with this one.. he just finished re-building a 428 super cobra jet and installing it in his 69 mach 1... we'll see how he does with the honda!

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
emilyfersure said:
Thanks! But i think ill trust my dad with this one.. he just finished re-building a 428 super cobra jet and installing it in his 69 mach 1... we'll see how he does with the honda!
Wiring up a 428 is not the same thing as wiring up an OBD2 ecu. Good luck to him tho.

j_fukin_t

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
emilyfersure said:
wish i could wake up to that surprise, what yr??

emilyfersure

5+ Year Member
j_fukin_t said:
wish i could wake up to that surprise, what yr??
I have no clue... Once my parents come home from breakfast.. Ill ask.. i think he said 99..I wasn't really listening though... its too early.

Status
Not open for further replies.