2001 Civic LX -- Hot Manifold Problem & Suggestions Needed

Mark060199

Any suggestions for fixing and tuning?

Any suggestions on what I should swap into my Civic

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark060199

Did the check engine light come on at all? It sounds like there's an issue that's putting your car into limp mode.

If the light didn't come on, do you know if the light even works? I have seen issues before in which they've burnt out, and even with previous owners who have actually removed the CEL bulb entirely.
^ This reply was to another user, not OP here. OP quoted the above with the following:

On my 2001 Civic Lx 1.7l Sedan auto non vtec that happens but the temp gauge reads normal operating temperatures but the exhaust manifold get red hot like glowing red do you know what this might be?

*post moved from different thread*

Last edited by a moderator:

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
On my 2001 Civic Lx 1.7l Sedan auto non vtec that happens but the temp gauge reads normal operating temperatures but the exhaust manifold get red hot like glowing red do you know what this might be?
Temp gauge shown on the cluster is based on feedback from the ECT sensor off the block. If the exhaust manifold is glowing red, there's a clog somewhere in the exhaust system, likely the catalytic converter. There is an underlying issue somewhere. Clogged exhaust system is common when the engine is too rich or too lean.

Do you smell gas at all?

Also, I took your post out of someone else's and put it into one of the ones you created. I also saw that you created two, so I merged them. :thumbs up I also renamed the title.

Please be more specific in your original post.. what needs fixing? The hot manifold? You have not provided any details to the original post.

As for your swap question.. keep it as is -- it's automatic. Other options are K-series motors, but I would recommend an automatic to manual conversion if you did so. Personally, I would recommend keeping the same motor.

Last edited: