2007 civic si or volkswagen gti

MartinQ

5+ Year Member
I recently wrecked my car 2000 si for the 2nd time (not to mention a hit and run) and i'm convinced that my car is cursed. So I've decided its time for a new car and before there was no doubt in my mind that I wanted the 2007 civic si coupe, but recently i've been seeing ads for the volkswagen gti and after comparing the 2 cars for a while I decided i'd like some more opinions.

which do you think would be a better pick and whyyy?
thanks for the help!

RHennin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thats a tough choice man. The honda does have lots of potential, but so does the gti. I did get a chance to check out the new gti and to be honest I think I might take that over the honda.

1. It has this thing called torque 200 some odd ftlbs of it at something like 2000 rpm i think.
2. Its an already turbod car which def. helps cuz u should be able to do lots of upgrades.
3. I like the overall design a little better than the new civic. New civic looks a little to alien for me.

The gti is heavier I think and is probably more expensive I would imagine.

Just a few thoughts.

runtingz

Enlengthened One
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i think the GTI looks like a nazi alien...

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The GTi is going to be easier to go fast with.

The Honda has a better reliability record and most journalists agree is more refined.

Tough call. I think either way you win.

runtingz

Enlengthened One
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
take the price difference and use that money to turbo the civic and lower it...then fight the nazi aliens!!! revolt!!!

runtingz

Enlengthened One
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

don't do it...the profit goes to nazi uprising!!

if you favor interior and a more classy look then pick the GTI though!...but i'll come after you when the Third Reich comes after all our hondas.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
finanacing on vdubs is insane!

cars 20k, ok, you have to give us 500 a month for 3 years, we want it in 3 years, damn it.

Oh yea... did I mention you need to put 2000 down?

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
just a mock up of vdub dealers, may be truth or not.

Its basically my experience when I tried to buy an 03 1.8t jetta a few years back.

runtingz said:
take the price difference and use that money to turbo the civic and lower it...then fight the nazi aliens!!! revolt!!!
this guy has a good point. if u use the extra money and dump it into the civic.. it will be all around better
but if you want a car you aren't gonna mod i would say the gti. torque is what makes a car fun to drive. there is less shifting and what not. and i would say that the interior is a little nicer in the gti (with leather, plaid is gay IMO) unless you like that digital dash business.
really i would say the only way to find out what one fits your needs better is to take a test drive in both :cool:

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
They are both great cars, pretty comprable in all performance areas and are both probably pretty reliable and comfortable. So to comparable cars, but with the GTi costing 7k or something more I'd probably go with the si.

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I really like both cars the Honda for the awesome reliability and the GTI for the power that it makes, but VW has been known in the past for the less than par reliability and expensive service and parts repair, sooo I'm gonna lean towards the 07 Si. GL w/ your purchase either way.

Sion0x

Off to college!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I've always wanted a GTI, I drove one when I was 16 and just loved how it felt.

But I love my civic too, don't get me wrong.

The Germans just know what torque is, that's the difference :lol:

3rdCoast

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i'd say aside from that stupid drive by throttle idea on the si, it holds its own. Both cars its being compared to in that review r f**kin turbo. Yeah no s**t the gti lays down the torque cuz it better, havin a turbo under the hood. So with that bein said its kind of an unfair comparison. All 3 of those cars have have about the same sized engines but 2 of the are fi. Turbo that si and then we'll see whats up. s**t even a reflash on that si ecu could make a good difference. Sorry if this seemed like a bit of a rant but it gets to me when ppl compare n/a cars with fi cars and kinda talk down on the n/a for not keepin up, especailly when they got very close engine sizes

Raging

Si_ck Love!!
5+ Year Member
:laugh:

runtingz said:

don't do it...the profit goes to nazi uprising!!

if you favor interior and a more classy look then pick the GTI though!...but i'll come after you when the Third Reich comes after all our hondas.