5 speed pops out of 2nd gear

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
What rpm should i be at when skipping over 2nd? Ive tried all between 2k-2500 and it bogs a little before picking up speed again

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk
thats when you normally load into second. as for that little boggging does it bog alittle as you give it gas but it goes away when you give it more gas?

dancam

Registered VIP
Your trying to do a 1-3 shift? Why? Lugging the engine isnt good for the engine. If it stays in second gear when you hold it then just hold it there while you speed up and then shift. If you need to cruise in second gear it shouldnt come out. Hold it when you accelerate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Your trying to do a 1-3 shift? Why? Lugging the engine isnt good for the engine. If it stays in second gear when you hold it then just hold it there while you speed up and then shift. If you need to cruise in second gear it shouldnt come out. Hold it when you accelerate.

he can do the 1-3 shift he just need to shift at close to or near redline before going into 3rd. i had to do a 2-4 shifts before, i had no 3rd gear in one of old car(3rd gear syncro shattered to pieces inside.)

iamcombat

thats when you normally load into second. as for that little boggging does it bog alittle as you give it gas but it goes away when you give it more gas?
Yes, that's exactly what it does. I can get 2nd to work if I have the speed low enough to get it in but still sometimes will pop out...I just have been trying to not get it to work right while driving through town so I don't get stuck in an intersection lol

iamcombat

he can do the 1-3 shift he just need to shift at close to or near redline before going into 3rd. i had to do a 2-4 shifts before, i had no 3rd gear in one of old car(3rd gear syncro shattered to pieces inside.)

That's the info I was looking for....I have been going to around 4500 in 1st then shifting over...I'll try going closer to redline and doing it

dancam

Registered VIP
That's the info I was looking for....I have been going to around 4500 in 1st then shifting over...I'll try going closer to redline and doing it
Sounds like you need to fix this soon. Revving to the redline every day on cold oil will lead to an engine rebuild in addition to the transmission rebuild you already need to do...

iamcombat

I've been trying to get it into 2nd as much as possible without having to shift over to 3rd. I haven't been having to redline it when I do jump gears but I've gotten it closer to around 5k and shifting into 3rd around 3200-3500 and it's working out a lot better. Second seems to only work correctly when going under 20 mph so when I am trying to get it into 2nd gear it's usually a really quick shift. Anyone happen to have a photo of the gear shifter removed and shift linkage for this year so I know what it should and shouldn't look like?

Also, there seems to be less chance of missing 2nd if I push it harder over to the left side of the gear box than just shifting normally like through the other gears, 1st gear doesn't have to be like that, just slides in nice and easy.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
I've been trying to get it into 2nd as much as possible without having to shift over to 3rd. I haven't been having to redline it when I do jump gears but I've gotten it closer to around 5k and shifting into 3rd around 3200-3500 and it's working out a lot better. Second seems to only work correctly when going under 20 mph so when I am trying to get it into 2nd gear it's usually a really quick shift. Anyone happen to have a photo of the gear shifter removed and shift linkage for this year so I know what it should and shouldn't look like?

Also, there seems to be less chance of missing 2nd if I push it harder over to the left side of the gear box than just shifting normally like through the other gears, 1st gear doesn't have to be like that, just slides in nice and easy.
then it sounds like your second gear syncros are no good if you can't get into second at any speeds above 20mph

iamcombat

I see rebuild kits on ebay for just over $100, the cheapest used tranny I see on there is over $300

iamcombat

would it be possible to just buy the gear synchro that i need instead of buying an entire kit? or would that basically be pouring gas on the fire and asking for more trouble sooner than i want?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You can buy just a 2nd gear synchro. I have a 2nd gear grind with my RSX, and I plan on buying just the 2nd gear synchro.

iamcombat

You can buy just a 2nd gear synchro. I have a 2nd gear grind with my RSX, and I plan on buying just the 2nd gear synchro.

Thank you for that! I found one for 2nd gear on ebay for $20 I believe....how extensive of a job is it for a DIY'er ??

West Dylan

Respected
It's not overly difficult. Honda transmissions are pretty simple.
You could give this a read, and if you feel confident you could attempt it yourself.
I'm not sure what type of transmission you have (haven't read the full article), but D and B series are pretty similar I believe; internally.

PS; if you have a D series in your Honda, I've seen transmissions in my area going for as cheap as 40$..
Might be worth shopping around just to save you some stress.

http://honda-tech.com/transmission-drivetrain-127/b-series-transmission-teardown-rebuild-tutorial-2443459/

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
PS; if you have a D series in your Honda, I've seen transmissions in my area going for as cheap as 40$..
Might be worth shopping around just to save you some stress.

/
Good call. That's what I did when my 5th gear syncrhos went on my old D-series. Picked one up for like $75 back in 2009 or so.

iamcombat

With this now being my only vehicle, do you think it would be best to buy the whole synchro kit or at the very least both the synchro and synchro sleeve since I don't know for sure what's going on inside the tranny or do the sleeves not typically fail?