94 Civic EJ1 build/project...give me your opinion!

RoidBear

UrbanSleepers
Registered VIP
94 Civic EX build. What do you think?

This is my 94 Honda Civic EX that I picked up for $300.

The previous owners didn't take good care of it at all and it's been in an accident (the airbag even shattered the windshield when it was deployed!). It's really beat up and everything, but it's got potential. Plus it's making a good project car so far, so it'll give me something interesting to do. It's got a D16Z6 vtec engine with about 138,000 miles.

I'm posting up pics of when I barely got it and some of the things I've already done to it to show you the progress...I will update my progress on this thread as I move along. I'm focusing on the body of the car at the moment, but I will soon move onto the engine and suspension.

Let me know what you think and give me suggestions on what I can do to it to make it look legit and have it up and running smoothly.

Ed[K*]

GO! GO! GADGET VTEC!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
bro great progress and awesome recovery!!!
glwb! keep us updated.
decent pick up btw for 300 bux
im guessing auto-to-man swap???
either way gl!

RoidBear

UrbanSleepers
Registered VIP
bro great progress and awesome recovery!!!
glwb! keep us updated.
decent pick up btw for 300 bux
im guessing auto-to-man swap???
either way gl!
For sure man, I'll keep posting updates on this thread to show you all how I'm moving along with the car. For the moment I'm going to leave it auto, but once it's well-settled with the body and rest of the engine, I'll see into doing an auto-to-man swap.

Logan98036wa

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Get that body rebuilt! and clean that thing! Good Luck!

RoidBear

UrbanSleepers
Registered VIP
Update 12/14/2010

Here's an update for this week:
This coming weekend I should be getting a new bumper absorber and bumper cover. I'm just going to go with the OEM look for now. The headlights are up on the car now after some body re-shaping, so they fit in place and everything. I'll post pics of it once I slap them on the car.

I'm considering getting a Weapon-R Dragon Intake for the car as well. I saw this intake online and was wondering what you thought about it. It's CARB legal, so that's a start. Click here to check it out. I have also included in this post a picture of the actual intake I want to get.

Since I need the passenger side sideview mirror, I was considering getting these on eBay. Click here to check them out.
If you know of any better looking sideview mirrors for civics, let me know!

Here is the Weapon-R Dragon Intake:

purpej1

honda fiend
Registered VIP
the intake is nice but i would just get a cheap ebay tube and go aem dryflow or k&n filter 139.00 is alot on a near useless piece. and for the mirrors kinda ricey for my taste go oem or even spoon reps. trust me i paid 120 for my aem and its useless i wish i wouldve did what i mentioned and and saved me 40+ for a ebay lip or something. one thing about little add ons is if you do the math you couldve just saved a little and went legit. i personally spent near 1k in little add ons and im very dissapointed i couldve got half of what i got on ebay for alot less and had money to worry about things im stressing over now.

RoidBear

UrbanSleepers
Registered VIP
the intake is nice but i would just get a cheap ebay tube and go aem dryflow or k&n filter 139.00 is alot on a near useless piece. and for the mirrors kinda ricey for my taste go oem or even spoon reps. trust me i paid 120 for my aem and its useless i wish i wouldve did what i mentioned and and saved me 40+ for a ebay lip or something. one thing about little add ons is if you do the math you couldve just saved a little and went legit. i personally spent near 1k in little add ons and im very dissapointed i couldve got half of what i got on ebay for alot less and had money to worry about things im stressing over now.
I hadn't thought about buying the pipe and filter separately! I checked out AEM dryflows and they look good. I'm not sure what I'll end up doing, but I'll post it up on this thread. I have to make sure to not spend on unnecessary parts! haha I'll check out ebay for the good stuff too:cool:

Robin...

D-Series Soldier
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Looks rough man but you can save her, good luck with your build...:thumbs up

HatchyLULU

I'm Punjabi
Hey man, Just bought a pretty beat up hatch and im doing the same thing right now haha
Good luck with your build bro, Ill deffinatly follow it, Ill get mine posted up on here soon.

RoidBear

UrbanSleepers
Registered VIP
Front End Assembly update 12/18/2010

I was able to work on the car today and get the front end completed. I first washed the engine to get the dirt and grease off of it and I bought a bumper cover and bumper absorber. My dad was able to help me put the parts on the car. It doesn't sit perfectly because of the previous damage, but it looks a whole lot better. With time the car will slowly begin to retake shape.

Here are some pics of the progress! Give me suggestions if you see anything that could be done better.

Tomorrow I will be changing the distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs, and spark plug wire set, so I'll keep you updated as to how that turns out!

RoidBear

UrbanSleepers
Registered VIP
Hey man, Just bought a pretty beat up hatch and im doing the same thing right now haha
Good luck with your build bro, Ill deffinatly follow it, Ill get mine posted up on here soon.
This is where the fun part begins...fixing up your car! Good luck with your build!!!!

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lookin like a task my friend, but ill be trusting you to bring that thing back from the brink of death and make it hot again. Gl can't wait to see some more progress.

RoidBear

UrbanSleepers
Registered VIP
Distributor cap, rotor, and spark plug wire set 12/19/2010

Today I installed a Duralast Gold distributor cap and rotor, Bosch Platinum +2 spark plugs, and Bosh spark plug wire set:

These are the old spark plugs the car had:

Rotor and opened distributor:

Engine bay with new parts installed:

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Man you got a LOT of work on your hands, but with time and patience you can get her going nice....

My suggestions/thoughts....

No to the mirrors, I used to want those and now I hate them, they are cheap and stupid looking.... Go OEM.... You will find once you stick in the CIvic Community you get Baller points for OEM stuff... But making it yours counts, so, do something with different OEM not only US OEM but over seas.... Find your taste and roll with it...

AS far as fixing things, I realllllly suggest you get a new radiator support, it will never look right or be done right until you do... So I would look into a new radiator support.... Sure it is not easy but in the end you will be GLAD you did.... TRUST ME....

Also stay away from VatoZone, like DURACRAP parts man... Not talking s**t they are just crapy parts... NGK is the best plugs for Civic's Hands down.... You can tell the Spark Plug wires are too long, does it change things? NO but I learned years ago that VatoZone is a bad place, had brakes explode on 2 different cars, when I say explode the pad basically just blew into pieces... They are a joke!

Be careful what you buy, such as the intake... You can A. Do like stated above, cheap tube and AEM dry flow (great filter) or spend the money on a Password JDM Carbon intake (whale penis) which again is Baller points but no(useful) HP Gain... ORR you could spend the money on something useful such as body work, you have a factory intake and aftermarket doesn't yeild enough results to bother right now... Later sure but now I say focus on getting her in good shape!

Look on craigslist and junk yards for good parts that will replace what you have. I would say look for a S2000 Steering wheel or a Momo to replace what you have... Rather than spending money on a wheel now and more money when you want a nice one... You can get the entire dashboard for cheap as well just keep an eye out...

GL

RoidBear

UrbanSleepers
Registered VIP
Man you got a LOT of work on your hands, but with time and patience you can get her going nice....

My suggestions/thoughts....

No to the mirrors, I used to want those and now I hate them, they are cheap and stupid looking.... Go OEM.... You will find once you stick in the CIvic Community you get Baller points for OEM stuff... But making it yours counts, so, do something with different OEM not only US OEM but over seas.... Find your taste and roll with it...

AS far as fixing things, I realllllly suggest you get a new radiator support, it will never look right or be done right until you do... So I would look into a new radiator support.... Sure it is not easy but in the end you will be GLAD you did.... TRUST ME....

Also stay away from VatoZone, like DURACRAP parts man... Not talking s**t they are just crapy parts... NGK is the best plugs for Civic's Hands down.... You can tell the Spark Plug wires are too long, does it change things? NO but I learned years ago that VatoZone is a bad place, had brakes explode on 2 different cars, when I say explode the pad basically just blew into pieces... They are a joke!

Be careful what you buy, such as the intake... You can A. Do like stated above, cheap tube and AEM dry flow (great filter) or spend the money on a Password JDM Carbon intake (whale penis) which again is Baller points but no(useful) HP Gain... ORR you could spend the money on something useful such as body work, you have a factory intake and aftermarket doesn't yeild enough results to bother right now... Later sure but now I say focus on getting her in good shape!

Look on craigslist and junk yards for good parts that will replace what you have. I would say look for a S2000 Steering wheel or a Momo to replace what you have... Rather than spending money on a wheel now and more money when you want a nice one... You can get the entire dashboard for cheap as well just keep an eye out...

GL
Thanks for the heads up on everything! haha VatoZone! I didn't know it was called like that. I've noted the suggestions you've given me and with time, I'll change things up a bit. Last thing I want is to have parts begin to blow up everywhere on the car! f**k that!

Do any of you guys know if it is difficult to remove the distributor in order to change the oil ring seal so it doesn't leak oil? And where is the best place to get a wheel alignment?

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Dude it is super easy, before you unbolt it, you can use a marker or something and mark where the bolts are currently at... This will help you put the dizzy back where it was for timing. There is 3 bolts? or 2 Cr*p I forget either way take the bolts off then pull straight out, put the ring on it, line it back up as you slide it back in, then get the bolts in and try to adjust it to where it was... Once that is done I always leave the bolts a little lose so you can twist the dizzy front to back... Start the car and listen to the idle you want it to run smooth, you go one way it will run rougher you go the other it will rev a little... You want a good idle and no shaking... It is pretty self explanatory, once done turn off car and tighten bolts, but don't over do it either... Just a good snug bolt will go a long way!

GL

And NO VATOZONE ESSAY! lol