94 civic lx starting issues

csb41502

i bought this car a few weeks ago from my neighbor cause it wouldnt start for them and they didnt wanna put any money into it.it would crank but not start for them. so i did a lot of reading and thought it was the main realy.bought that put it in.no change.i had someone look at it and he said one of the components were bad in the distributor.so i decided to buy a whole distributor.put it in and it instantly fired right up.next morning i tried starting and it was back to crank with no start.started looking all over to see if anything was not connected and i found a wire on the passenger side disconnected.the wire connected to what i would describe as a short nipple under the distributor next to a hose and the wire connecting to it had a bullet connector on it.plugged that in and it fired up right away.ran great nice and smooth.no misses or check engine lights.so this morning went to start it and its back to crank no start.ive done every test i know about.the map wires read 5 volts.the distributor reads 12v along with the tach is reading 12v.the ignition switch reads 12v on all wires and the middle wire reads 10.2v while cranking.i jumped out the small wire on starter to battery and no change.crank no start.i dont know where to go from here

RonJ

Banned
Does the fuel pump prime?

Is there bright white spark at the plugs?

When you turn the key to ON(II), does the CEL remain on steady?

csb41502

its getting fuel.the cel comes on then back off after a few seconds.i know im getting fuel cause when the car starts i let it run for like 20 or so minutes.when i get it to run it runs great.nice and smooth.i dont understand why it will start one day and not the next

RonJ

Banned
You are not answering the key questions. When the engine WON'T START, does the fuel pump prime and is there bright white spark at the plugs. Post a response when you have collected this critical information.

csb41502

the fuel pump does prime.reguardless if it starts or not.and when it dosent start there is zero spark

RonJ

Banned
Test the coil and have an auto parts store test the igniter unit. While the distributor is opened up, check that all wire connections are clean and tight and that there is no visible damage.

You'll find diagrams for testing the coil here.

csb41502

ive done all the tests.the distributor is 4 days old.the car started just 24 hours ago and ran for like 30 minutes.it ran beautiful.never skipped a beat.i shut it off and started it back up 4 more times over like a 6 hour period.now this morning,no start.when i put the dizzy in 4 days ago it started immediately and ran for an entire day also.thats when i found that wire hanging off the little nipple on the engine block.i thought i had it fixed yesterday when i plugged in that wire and it started immediately

RonJ

Banned
ive done all the tests.the distributor is 4 days old.the car started just 24 hours ago and ran for like 30 minutes.it ran beautiful.never skipped a beat.i shut it off and started it back up 4 more times over like a 6 hour period.now this morning,no start.when i put the dizzy in 4 days ago it started immediately and ran for an entire day also.thats when i found that wire hanging off the little nipple on the engine block.i thought i had it fixed yesterday when i plugged in that wire and it started immediately
You clearly have an intermittent problem. Make sure that all the wires connected to the coil and igniter unit inside the distributor are both clean, tight, and undamaged. Next carefully inspect the distributor connectors and its wires. Whenever the engine won't start, test the distributor wires for a short or open using a multimeter.

The disconnected wire below the distributor sounds like the one for the coolant temp sending unit for the cluster temp gauge. Post a picture.

csb41502

are there external crank and cam position sensors?can it be a problem with the computer in the car?

RonJ

Banned
At the link I posted, you will find a diagram for input tests for the igniter unit. These would be worthwhile doing.

And did you install an aftermarket distributor? If so, they can be bad right out of the box. It's always wise to buy an OEM distributor, even though it will be more expensive.

csb41502

it actually was aftermarket.i didnt have the money for a new one.i was gonna swap it under warranty and try another one.

RonJ

Banned
i was gonna swap it under warranty and try another one.
This is worth a try. But for future reference, anyone who knows Hondas knows that you should pay the extra money for an OEM distributor. They're more expensive but well worth the money due to high quality and reliability.

csb41502

i know its better to buy oem.im working on a real tight budget.its just real frustrating i put a "new" dizzy in and it fires right up and works on and off for the last 3 days. its just very frustrating i think the problem goes away then all of a sudden a few hours later im starting over.i will do all those tests and go from there

RonJ

Banned
i know its better to buy oem.im working on a real tight budget.its just real frustrating i put a "new" dizzy in and it fires right up and works on and off for the last 3 days. its just very frustrating i think the problem goes away then all of a sudden a few hours later im starting over.i will do all those tests and go from there
I understand the tight budget. My suggestions represent the ideal situation. But aftermarket distributors are hit or miss at best.

csb41502

so if i swap out the dizzy and it starts would it be just a bad dizzy?or i guess if it still dont start after a few hours or overnight i have more problems

RonJ

Banned
so if i swap out the dizzy and it starts would it be just a bad dizzy?or i guess if it still dont start after a few hours or overnight i have more problems
Yes. Using your warranty, start by swapping out the current distributor with a different one. If the same problem persists, then troubleshoot the distributor wires and do the input tests I suggested. Tell the auto parts store that you thought the joke with the first distributor was pretty funny, but now you would like a good one.

csb41502

ok a little update.went up to get a new dizzy under warranty.put it in fired right up.let it run for about 20 min.shut it off now it wont start again.i wanted to rule out the wires so i unplugged the computer and all the wires have no shorts all the way back to the dizzy.next im gonna plug in the computer and test everything out like suggested