94 civic lx starting issues

RonJ

Banned
How old are the spark plugs and plug wires? If the wires are old, also measure their end to end resistance.

csb41502

ill check the wires but the cap rotor and wires and plugs are brand new

csb41502

how do i know if the distributor cap is good or bad? i had this new distributor tested and everything was good. i went out a few hours ago to try to start it for the hell of it and it started.ilet it run for about 2 minutes and shut it off then it wouldnt start again.i tried another ecu and no change either.its gotta be something simple that im missing.i did notice there was no gasket between the dizzy and the dizzy cap.is that important?

RonJ

Banned
If when the engine won't start, the fuel pump still primes but there's no spark, then it may be time to return the aftermarket distributor and buy an OEM one. You might also check the Yel/Grn wire for a short or open.

csb41502

i checked all the wires on the dizzyharness back to the ecu.all of themread continuity and none had shorts back to ground.i just dont understand why it willstart out of the blue when it feels like then wont start other times

RonJ

Banned
i checked all the wires on the dizzyharness back to the ecu.all of themread continuity and none had shorts back to ground.i just dont understand why it willstart out of the blue when it feels like then wont start other times
As I've said, aftermarket distributors are well known to be crappy.

csb41502

I was just out there screwing around with some stuff and did notice the distributor cap is not on all the way. One of the screws is actually brojen and so only 2 are holding it down. Could it possibly have no spark because of this?

csb41502

Ok. Found another interesting thing. My friend came over to play around with it more and we found it has very good spark for a second or 2 but not long enough to start it.after that the spark dies out to almost nothing. This happens every time I start to crank the engine

csb41502

Ok. I got an oem out of a friends that I know was running. It did the same thing. We looked a little further and found out that the throttle position sensor did not have any voltage on any wires when the key was on. Could this be my problem of no spark?

csb41502

I had someone else come over and look at the car. He said its definately not a distributor problem cause I used 4 different ones so far including a oem working dizzy. The other ecu I used was out of a manual trans car which I was not aware of he is pretty confident its a ecu problem. The tps sensor gets no power on any of the wires but do read continuity back to the cpu. I'm hoping this finally solves all my problems

csb41502

today the car started no problem because it was warm out.i dont understand whats going on.i must have started it about 10 times and even drove it around a little.ran smooth as can be.no engine light no nothing