96-00 greddy turbo for ex's

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would prolly shell out the extra 800 bucks for the Intercooler anyhow....kinda need it to boost anything decent.

turboferio

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the greddy tdo4h 15g turbo kit which i have maxes out at 15psi. my buddy has the new greddy kit for the single and he has reached all the way up to 18psi. but the kits look the same just the snail is bigger. and the charge pipe is longer.

RainyDaze

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
interesting...

Well, I've heard a lot about the Edelbrock turbo kit, but nothing about the Greddy. I was kinda confused on the talk about the two. Does anyone know which kit is "better"? I personally like the Edelbrock, however I've heard a lot about Greddy being good.

I've decided that I would most likely turbo my d16y8 instead of do a swap. I wanna see how much power I can suck from my sohc.

8)

RainyDaze

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Turboferio, I wanna give you some mad props for sticking up for the d16y8. I think it is cool that you have put so much time into the sohc engine and produced some good numbers. I think that the B series engines are killer, but when you see a person that has gotten a d series into the 12's it is pretty sweet.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i believe the edelbrock has a bigger turbo, plus it is ball-bearing, is it not? so basically, it can handle more boost.

DetroitTraitor

Bad Mama-Jamma!
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nice. How many pounds of boost come with the stock kit? and are you gonna up the boost level?

KennyC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well im goin d16 all the way now, ive been hearin alot about it lately. First i saw turboferio talkib bout it but i wasnt sure, then someguy in town told me to do it, then anfrey said he was doin it, then i read bout the edelbrok kit in import tuner, so damn it, its fate i guess.....

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member

jamyam

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'd go with the Greddy 15G or 19T over the Edelbrock. The Greddies are cheaper and is enough for "most" of us. 5 psi stock and it can go up to 10 psi with an intercooler...enough for me! All for about $2000. Plus installation of course, unless you do it yourself. =) Hell, for the Edelbrock price, I'd get the Apexi kit!

TurboCane

Type R This!
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
turboferio, I saw that you said you ran 12.4's. Not that I'm doubting that, but there is no way you did that on street tires. I know that I'm only runing 10psi, but I can't get traction until 3rd. That and a good run for me is a barely modded LS1 SS or WS6 and they are good for a 13.0 run. So your saying that with 5psi more on a SOHC that your running 12.4's?

5psi is a ton, I will definitly admit that, but there is no traction for 12.4's. That's what I'm stating. So I'm just asking if that was on slicks.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
good luck finding the apex'i kit new, they're discontinued.

the greddy 15g maxes out at 1 bar (15 psi). the 19t seems to be able to hold 18 psi safely.

i believe the turbo that comes with the edelbrock kit is ball-bearing as well.

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The atvantage with the Edlebrock kit...is that it comes with EVERYTHING minus internals. It has alot of name brand stuff thrown in there as well. If you can get it for the right price I think It would be better than a greddy kit. And...with the greddy kit + intercooler...how would you run 10 lbs of boost safely with stock internals? My friend was running 9 on a stock B18B1 and he blew that up. I think anything past 6 on stock internals is stupid.