97 HX with Y8 ECM and O2 Problems

jar25201

Okay so I have a 97 HX that had a D16Y8 swap done to it and they left the original P2N D16Y5 ECM and it fried and burned after driving it for three years. I honestly thought it had the Y8 already since it ran above average.... So obviously I replaced it with a P2P Y8 ECM and now I am posting a P0135 CEL code and runs crappy.

Is this because of the wide-band O2 sensor the Y5 uses?

Should I put a Y5 ECM back in?

What would you do? What would be the correct way to finish this swap issue?

RonJ

Banned
You have a Y8 engine so you need to run a Y8 ECU.

The code is for the heater element of the primary O2 sensor. Check fuse 15 and whether voltage reaches the primary O2 sensor plug.

How old are the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor? Have you ever done a tune up?

jar25201

Yes I did a tune-up four months ago, new battery, dizzy, cap, wires, plugs, and belts.

Fuse 15 is fine. I checked resistance on HO2S across all pins with no reading. I did not check voltage to sensor, i'll do that after this posting.

Am I getting this error because of the new D16Y8 P2P ECM with the wideband o2?

Or is the O2 Sensor really just gone out at the same time ECM bite the dust?

RonJ

Banned
I checked resistance on HO2S across all pins with no reading.

Am I getting this error because of the new D16Y8 P2P ECM with the wideband o2?

Or is the O2 Sensor really just gone out at the same time ECM bite the dust?
How many wires does your primary O2 sensor have?

RonJ

Banned
You need a 4-wire O2 sensor and plug for the Y8, and you also need to properly wire it to the ECU.

jar25201

So how do I do this correctly? Should I get a harness or just a four wire O2 sensor and splice into the Y5 harness?

RonJ

Banned
Getting a Y8 engine harness would be best, but you can also get an O2 sensor plug at a junk yard and splice/solder/shrink wrap it to the wire harness. You need to properly pin three of the wires to the ECU and one wire to the fuse 15 circuit.

jar25201

I highly appreciate your super quick awesome help. I will just go pickup a Y8 harness instead of bothering with making sure I get the pin out correctly. Would you know which wires go where to the 7P o2 connector in case I don't find a Y8 harness soon enough?

RonJ

Banned
If you want to buy an engine harness, then buy one for a 96-98 D16Y8 engine with a manual transmission. Your ECU should be the same.

jar25201

Can I get those instructions? I went to three different junk yards with no y8 that were not cut or pulled already. So i got me a few of the 4P connectors with pigtails.

RonJ

Banned
Have you purchased a 4-wire O2 sensor for the D16Y8 and installed it into the header? If so, disconnect the battery and then do this:

• Cut the wires at the rear of the primary O2 sensor 8P connector (wire harness side). Three of these wires are these colors: Wht, Blk/Wht, and Grn/Blk.
  • The junk yard 4P O2 sensor connector (wire harness side) has 4 wires with these colors: Wht, Blk/Wht, Grn/Blk, and Blk/Yel.
  • Splice, solder, and shrink wrap the three wires of the same color from the cut wires and those from the 4P connector.
  • Locate the Blk/Yel wire in the secondary O2 sensor connector. To this wire, splice/solder shrink wrap a new wire and run it to the Blk/Yel wire in the primary O2 sensor connector. Splice/solder/shrink wrap them.
Plug the 4P connector into the O2 sensor, reconnect battery, reset ECU, and you should be good to go.