Aftermarket Intake

robfather

5+ Year Member
I recently purchased a new cold air intake. The old one was in very bad shape...literally. I'm already getting mixed reaction to install an aftermarket intake or a stock one. Which one brings greater mpg's and performance?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Stock with a K&N filter. An intake alone adds no noticeable performance increase to a D series motor.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The only noticeable difference is sound and looks.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My d15b7 actually got worse gas mileage with a cai so I sold it and put a short ram on. Noticed no difference so the stock box went back in. Total waste of money in my opinion.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I put a cheap $35 ebay short ram on my old 95 D15B7 and noticed nothing but louder noise when I floored it. I normally don't spend a lot on intakes and wouldn't recommend it unless you're doing P&P head, large IM plenum and port matched TB. THEN it might matter a little more, but don't go nuts.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Technically, intake/header/exhaust is supposed to less restrictive which in turn is supposed to increase gas mileage (if you drive it normally which most people won't because they want to hear all the fancy new noises).

I would recommend just putting the stock intake back on and getting a K&N filter like xplod3r said. Just make sure it's properly cleaned and oiled regularly. Unless they've come out with new filters over the past couple years that don't require oiling.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would recommend just putting the stock intake back on and getting a K&N filter like xplod3r said. Just make sure it's properly cleaned and oiled regularly. Unless they've come out with new filters over the past couple years that don't require oiling.
Yes. AEM makes a dry filter.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I would sell it, might car mods did a video on stock vs cone filter vs stock box with k&n filter on a dyno and there were no changes in hp

sikswic

Black Caulk or White?
my cold air intake sometimes gives my gas pedal some lag because i think its taking in too much air

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The technical answer is what JohnS said. Answering your question as to what makes the best mpg and performance, it's the cold air intake. Also like previously stated, the noticeable difference on a D series engine is minimal. Noticeable and existent are different. Although minor, it's there. Arguing the performance per dollar is another debate. Driving the car properly to maximize mpg is the key. If you're driving economically, you won't get the most performance, and vice versa. Since the difference is so minor, most opt to not do anything at all and stay stock.

Mighty car Mods did a filter test and saw no changes, but mighty car mods also did a cold air intake test on a car with a factory cold air intake design and saw no change lol. It was a very dumb comparison test when most vehicles don't come oem equipped with a performance derived factory intake system like the Nissan Skyline. A honda civic draws air from inside the engine bay in stock form, so there is an increase to be found and gains are relative to the engine size that's in question. It's all common sense stuff when you think about it

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yes. AEM makes a dry filter.
I know AEM does, I have one. I'm talking about K&N. And thank you for reminding me because my AEM dry flow is like 6 years old and I think I've only cleaned it a couple of times since I got it LOL. I've neglected my car the past several years :(.

Our 6th gens should 30+mpg unless something is wrong with it. For the unnoticeable minute amount of performance gains and very little increase in mpg from an intake/header/exhaust on our D-Series engines, save your money and stay stock.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The technical answer is what JohnS said. Answering your question as to what makes the best mpg and performance, it's the cold air intake. Also like previously stated, the noticeable difference on a D series engine is minimal. Noticeable and existent are different. Although minor, it's there. Arguing the performance per dollar is another debate. Driving the car properly to maximize mpg is the key. If you're driving economically, you won't get the most performance, and vice versa. Since the difference is so minor, most opt to not do anything at all and stay stock.

Mighty car Mods did a filter test and saw no changes, but mighty car mods also did a cold air intake test on a car with a factory cold air intake design and saw no change lol. It was a very dumb comparison test when most vehicles don't come oem equipped with a performance derived factory intake system like the Nissan Skyline. A honda civic draws air from inside the engine bay in stock form, so there is an increase to be found and gains are relative to the engine size that's in question. It's all common sense stuff when you think about it
what exactly is the box in a 96-00 ex si model that is in the passenger fender well with a tube going into the airbox? i would consider that a cold air intake, yes im sure its restrictive but its drawing in air from outside the engine bay. also might car mods saw no results on pod filters with a daihatsu (spelling?) which im sure is not performance oriented so im sure a civic will see no gains also, the op was asking about mpg and performance so i doubt theres any performance to come from a CAI especially without tuning to take advantage of any extra air the car might actually be getting.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Air intake tubes do not increase the amount of air that goes into the engine

If your engine pulls 250cfm and the stock intake can move 300cfm through it, slapping a tube capable of moving 500cfm isn't going to change anything. The engine is still only pulling 250cfm.

The only thing that a metal/plastic tube can improve in this case is where the air is drawn from, and unless you want to strap a freezer to your hood ambient air is the best you can do.

sikswic

Black Caulk or White?
What?[/Q

Sometimes when im driving at 3000 rpms or lower and i just hold the gas pedal a little for like 5 seconds and then start pressing it, it doesnt give it gas for a second and then jerks my car forward a little bit. idk if its my cold air intake or just something in my engine.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what exactly is the box in a 96-00 ex si model that is in the passenger fender well with a tube going into the airbox? i would consider that a cold air intake, yes im sure its restrictive but its drawing in air from outside the engine bay. also might car mods saw no results on pod filters with a daihatsu (spelling?) which im sure is not performance oriented so im sure a civic will see no gains also, the op was asking about mpg and performance so i doubt theres any performance to come from a CAI especially without tuning to take advantage of any extra air the car might actually be getting.
On a truly stock civic, that air box has a plastic tube that drops down and curves right back up with the opening where air is drawn in directly behind the passenger headlight inside the bay.

Item #16 seen here for a 2000 honda civic ex. http://www.hondapartsnow.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?catalogID=11&productID=4&yearID=18&doorID=1&gradeID=8&areaID=2&transmissionID=3&originID=-1&colorLabelIDs=-1&colorLabelID=-1&sectionID=&idAndImageID=1578 1470618

There are gains to be made without tuning with a cold air intake, simply due to a cooler and more dense air supply to the engine. The amount of gain is relative to the engine's efficiency but that's besides the point.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
What?[/Q

Sometimes when im driving at 3000 rpms or lower and i just hold the gas pedal a little for like 5 seconds and then start pressing it, it doesnt give it gas for a second and then jerks my car forward a little bit. idk if its my cold air intake or just something in my engine.
You mean because you are out of the powerband and flooring it? Not to mention the y7 has no power to begin with. BTW that is bad for your engine.