And still it clunks

civicauto

Hello All
I am new to the forum, I own a 1998 civic auto
I have problem with a clunking/tapping from under my Civic, I have changed both bottom and top ball joints, both sides of the car, both steering track rod ends, the big radius are bushes at the rear of the car and still get the clunk! done all this because advice from my local Garage,
I know that nobody on here can give me a guarantee what is causing this clunking and what needs changing, but someone has got to be able to be at least 99% sure they know what it is.

Thanks
lee

civic402Lx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Noise present while in steady motion or only over bump?
Have you check motor mount?
What about the condition of your struts?

I would alsdo check exhaust heat shield.

dancam

Registered VIP
When does it clunk? only while speeding up or slowing down? or only while going over bumps? or only while going bumps when turning? or only when turning? Only while turning one direction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

civicauto

When does it clunk? only while speeding up or slowing down? or only while going over bumps? or only while going bumps when turning? or only when turning? Only while turning one direction?
Thanks for the replies.
It's very odd to me, It only happens when going down a road that may only be what I would say slightly bumpy, When driving down smooth road there is No clunks or bumps, might get it happen over speed bumps, but not all the time
No clunks when breaking, speeding up or down, I would say it happens intermittently, if you see a bit of rough road out in front of you and drive over it it will sometimes clunk, or you get nothing, it's so annoying

Thanks
lee

Last edited by a moderator:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Have you inspected the struts & motor mounts, including the tranny mount? It sounds like it may be one of those.

civicauto

I do hope it's not the struts, replaced all the ball joints only couple weeks ago, don't want to dismantle all that again, I have been searching on line , sway bar bushes has been coming up abit, anyone know anything about those causing clunks and knocks

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, you have yet to answer about the motor mounts.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Also check the heatshield as previously mentioned. This is a very common issue with these cars, though it will produce a rattle, not a clunk.

civicauto

I will have to have a look at the motor mounts tomorrow morning, it's dark outside, cant see nothing at the moment, will let you know later,
thanks for posting back to me it's most appreciated

thanks
lee

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I will have to have a look at the motor mounts tomorrow morning, it's dark outside, cant see nothing at the moment, will let you know later,
thanks for posting back to me it's most appreciated

thanks
lee
Any easy "pre-check" to the motor mounts, is to simply pop the hood and see if you can shake /rock the motor. It should move slightly, but if you can get it rocking, chances are you have a motor mount issue.

civicauto

Hello all
I found out what the clunking was, Anti roll bar stabilizer drop links, a right pita to remove, little bar with two ball joints attached that like to turn around with the nuts when your trying to undo them, I resorted to cutting them off with a angle grinder, recon it's a waste of time trying to undo the nuts. grinder worked quite well , but you must take extra care doing it like this because of where these little drop links are situated, quite easily lose a couple of fingers!:(
I got the car back on the road, I could not believe the difference these little drop links make to how the car drives, all I can hear now is the tyres on the road surface , handling as also improved , it's really really noticeable when cornering
Yep, it's fantastic!
Thanks
lee

Last edited:

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Glad you got the issue resolved! :thumbs up

dancam

Registered VIP
Glad you found it. What most people dont see is there is usually another nut close to the ball you can stick a wrench on to prevent them from spinning or at the end of the threaded rod you can insert an allen wrench or torks to prevent it from spinning. =) some cheap chinese ones lack that, but 90% have it and it sucks to find that out after you spend forever risking your life grinding them off, lol.

civicauto

Glad you found it. What most people dont see is there is usually another nut close to the ball you can stick a wrench on to prevent them from spinning or at the end of the threaded rod you can insert an allen wrench or torks to prevent it from spinning. =) some cheap chinese ones lack that, but 90% have it and it sucks to find that out after you spend forever risking your life grinding them off, lol.

The ones on my car were the original fitted factory parts, never been changed definately no nut close by to hold onto,
that is if we are talking about the same part https://www.ingallseng.com/ik80487-sway-bar-link-kit.html

dancam

Registered VIP
Yup, same part. Look closely at the picture in the link you sent and you'll see that you can stick a torks in the end of the threaded part to stop it from turning =)