Any good brands of HID-type bulbs?

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I got a response from Apexcone support. In regards to the flickering (driver's side) and the discoloration (passenger's side), they said I should swap the bulbs and/or the ballasts and see if the problem follows the bulb or stays on the same side. If the problem stays on one side then it is a faulty ballast but if the problem follows the bulb, then it's obviously the bulb.

He also mentioned another possible cause:
"...the flickering could be due to an error code or a power issue even though those situations usually affect both headlights. If the problem doesn't track with the bulb or the ballast, the fact that the problem occurs only when the engine is running suggests that it is an error code issue, which will likely be solved by our Error Code Eliminators Type-3."

I swapped the bulbs, and both problems tracked the bulbs (flickering switched to passenger's side, etc.). While the bulbs were out, I turned them on and noticed that the discolored bulb is so because it takes longer to warm up. Once it warmed up, they both matched in color (although sometimes they stay discolored). Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9An1sChw2M

Once I switched the ballasts though, both the discoloration and flickering went away (at least for now). I will remain observant to see if the issues come back.
Hmm, maybe you got lucky. It's not an error code, our ECUs don't have anything that fancy as far as headlights. Besides, it would show up on our cars and not just yours. If it comes back, it's probably the bulb, since it followed the bulb. I'll bet Apexcone/DDM will send you a replacement.

If they try and tell you it's an error code, explain to them how none of the other Civic owners are having this problem, and you can quote or link this thread as proof.

Wilshire001

Hey it's me
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I am soaking my headlight lens with CLR as I type. Hopefully this will remove the cloudiness because Blue Magic Headlight Lens Restorer is not working.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Why not just sand and polish?

Oh, wait, this was that crap on the inside. Maybe sand with a really high grit sandpaper?

Wilshire001

Hey it's me
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Why not just sand and polish?

Oh, wait, this was that crap on the inside. Maybe sand with a really high grit sandpaper?
I tried everything: Used lens cleaner/restorer on both sides. Used CLR on both sides, Wet sanded the outside (first then the inside) with 800 grit then 2000 grit. Put another coat of lens cleaner and then car wax. Crap was still there.Since it didn't come off, I think it is the whole plastic that is affected.
This is what it looks like with a flashlight shone through it after all of that:

redexcoupe

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Try tooth paste! I know it sounds crazy, but I used tooth paste and a microfiber cloth and just gave it a good rub down for about 5 minutes, clear as day! Youd be surprised

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hmm, it happened after you put them in the oven, right? What temp did you set it to?

Wilshire001

Hey it's me
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hmm, it happened after you put them in the oven, right? What temp did you set it to?
Well after I put it in the oven (I don't remember but I think I set it to 350 for about 3 minutes), I detached the lens from the the housing. I wiped it with a damp cloth and this is what happened. I don't remember if I wiped it while the lens was hot, maybe this might've caused this?

Wilshire001

Hey it's me
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Try tooth paste! I know it sounds crazy, but I used tooth paste and a microfiber cloth and just gave it a good rub down for about 5 minutes, clear as day! Youd be surprised
I wish I would've known that while my headlight was open.
I'll try it on the outside, see how it goes.

XcLuSiVeLy4GoD

ODP
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

Looky looky what came in the mail today!! From unbox to completed install took about a half hour... I can see why no one has done a how to on this.... Jeez I thought my cai install was easy on my old accord.... this was literally two clips in the wheel well on each side then just plug it in..... Everything started up perfectly and looks awesome!! She looks kinda evil in that last pic, lol.... Enjoy the crappy iPhone pics lol... Photoshoot coming soon....

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well after I put it in the oven (I don't remember but I think I set it to 350 for about 3 minutes), I detached the lens from the the housing. I wiped it with a damp cloth and this is what happened. I don't remember if I wiped it while the lens was hot, maybe this might've caused this?
That sounds like the cause of the problem. The rapid cooling probably caused damage to the plastic.

I wish I would've known that while my headlight was open.
I'll try it on the outside, see how it goes.
I am almost positive this will be ineffective after your other methods had no effect. It seems like the plastic is damaged. Your only options are:

1. Sanding. The lowest you tried was 800 grit. If you went to a much lower grit (even lower than would normally be recommended for headlight restoration) such as 200 or 100, you might be able to dig deep enough to repair the damage with some effort. To make the headlight clear again, you would have to move progressively up in grits (say, 400, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000), then finish with polish or clear coat. I'm not confident this method will work. It could however, be a last ditch effort to save the housings.

2. Replacement. Consider going to a junkyard. It doesn't matter if the ones you pick up are oxidized; that'd be a lot easier to fix than yours.

3. Deal with it. I didn't even notice it in the other pics. :what:

Looky looky what came in the mail today!! From unbox to completed install took about a half hour... I can see why no one has done a how to on this.... Jeez I thought my cai install was easy on my old accord.... this was literally two clips in the wheel well on each side then just plug it in..... Everything started up perfectly and looks awesome!! She looks kinda evil in that last pic, lol.... Enjoy the crappy iPhone pics lol... Photoshoot coming soon....
I forgot for a second that this thread was moved to exterior, so I was like, huh... eighth gen?

But yeah, that looks awesome. =) Which ones were those?

Noodler

I wear socks
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i'll do one better! crappy iphone video!
DDM HIDs 35w 5000k H4 LowBeam Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrJQblQlgdA

Wilshire001

Hey it's me
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Quesstion:
I have the normal halogens temporarily installed until I get my replacement HID's from DDM Tuning. Is it bad that I leave the ballasts connected (Red wire to the battery, black wires to the frame) without the bulbs attached?

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Quesstion:
I have the normal halogens temporarily installed until I get my replacement HID's from DDM Tuning. Is it bad that I leave the ballasts connected (Red wire to the battery, black wires to the frame) without the bulbs attached?
I don't think it'd do anything, but you might as well just unplug the ballasts. You don't have to undo any wiring, just pull the plug off the ballasts.

Did I just see your driver's side bulb come on before the passenger's side bulb?
Seconded...

Noodler

I wear socks
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Did I just see your driver's side bulb come on before the passenger's side bulb?

btw, nice city lights, I want to install some on mine. You have yours wired to the turn signals right?
i tested the driver's side before i installed the passenger side. so the passenger side was "adapting" to say on the first turn on. They both turn on and warm up at the same rate now. I'll make a new video some other time with both headlights in the frame lol.

I dont know how they're wired, bought them with the ctr headlights and everything worked. looks like they're connected to the parking/turning signal bulbs, i'll have to check some other time.

Wilshire001

Hey it's me
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm having a bad experience with DDM Tuning's exchange process. I sent them in because one bulb was flickering. I then received an email asking me for my "order number." After several attempts to provide them with the order number (invoice number), I got it right (I didn't know what the "order number" was). About a day after, on Feb. 1, I received an email from the same guy saying: "Please use attached return label to send the bulbs back and we will test and replace them for you." I called the very same day I received this email to clarify that I didn't have the bulbs because I had already sent them. After being transferred three times, the person asked my name, number and which HID kit I had. He said I would "quickly" get a call back from them. I did not receive one call from them that day. So I resorted to reply to their email trying to clarify that I already sent my bulbs before this day (Feb. 1). I am now waiting for response from them (usually, they would've responded by now).

Has anyone had a similar experience with DDM Tuning and their exchange process or with warranty claims?

Wilshire001

Hey it's me
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm having a bad experience with DDM Tuning's exchange process. I sent them in because one bulb was flickering. I then received an email asking me for my "order number." After several attempts to provide them with the order number (invoice number), I got it right (I didn't know what the "order number" was). About a day after, on Feb. 1, I received an email from the same guy saying: "Please use attached return label to send the bulbs back and we will test and replace them for you." I called the very same day I received this email to clarify that I didn't have the bulbs because I had already sent them. After being transferred three times, the person asked my name, number and which HID kit I had. He said I would "quickly" get a call back from them. I did not receive one call from them that day. So I resorted to reply to their email trying to clarify that I already sent my bulbs before this day (Feb. 1). I am now waiting for response from them (usually, they would've responded by now).

Has anyone had a similar experience with DDM Tuning and their exchange process or with warranty claims?
Ok, guys...false alarm. I just received my bulbs right now. Was an expedited exchange. The bulbs work fine. I am very happy with the exchange, it's just that, like someone said, "DDM Tuning is not good with communication."

I'll do best! Here's an even crappier video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlIiagbg3F8