Any good brands of HID-type bulbs?

Wilshire001

Hey it's me
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Nice :D

Glad they're finally working right. By the way, it weirds me out how similar our Civics look.
haha, exactly what I thought when I saw the pictures of your Civic. I seriously thought "Hey is that my Civic???:shock:" when I saw the pictures of your Civic.

I want to do that CTR grill like yours though. Did you buy it or did you DIY?

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well it's actually a CTR replica. :lol: I bought it from someone here on CC for $15 shipped and then I color matched it.

I've got smoked tails, too...

red98civ

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
cool, how'd you do them? do u have pics?
i used VHT Night Shade for mine. it comes in a can, all you gotta do is remove your tail lights, barely sand them down with some fine grit sandpaper, spray a coat, let it dry, spray another, let it dry and keep repeating until they're dark enough for you. then put a coat or two of clear ontop of that

edit, i got it at pepboys for under $15

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
cool, how'd you do them? do u have pics?
i used VHT Night Shade for mine. it comes in a can, all you gotta do is remove your tail lights, barely sand them down with some fine grit sandpaper, spray a coat, let it dry, spray another, let it dry and keep repeating until they're dark enough for you. then put a coat or two of clear ontop of that

Yeah, that's what I did, too. Three coats on them, so they're about as dark as yours.

I've been working with LED lighting to combat the loss of brightness. I've tried three different types of LED tail light bulbs, one of which is as bright as stock through the smoked tails. However, I only have a pair of those, while there are four tail light bulbs. I'll buy the other pair eventually, but they're expensive at around $40 shipped for a pair.

I also got a pair of LED turn signal bulbs, but they weren't bright enough. I also took them out because of the hyperflash issue. I need to find brighter ones and get a relay to combat the hyperflash.

I have LED backup lights, too. They need to be brighter, but the LED white looks a lot nicer than the incandescent white.

No pics yet, I'll take pics when I get all proper the LEDs in. I don't like to post up pics until I'm done with something. Also, I know a lot of people are running smoked tails on here, so I'll post a little thread on the LED stuff when I'm done.

Wilshire001

Hey it's me
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah, that's what I did, too. Three coats on them, so they're about as dark as yours.

I've been working with LED lighting to combat the loss of brightness. I've tried three different types of LED tail light bulbs, one of which is as bright as stock through the smoked tails. However, I only have a pair of those, while there are four tail light bulbs. I'll buy the other pair eventually, but they're expensive at around $40 shipped for a pair.

I also got a pair of LED turn signal bulbs, but they weren't bright enough. I also took them out because of the hyperflash issue. I need to find brighter ones and get a relay to combat the hyperflash.

I have LED backup lights, too. They need to be brighter, but the LED white looks a lot nicer than the incandescent white.

No pics yet, I'll take pics when I get all proper the LEDs in. I don't like to post up pics until I'm done with something. Also, I know a lot of people are running smoked tails on here, so I'll post a little thread on the LED stuff when I'm done.
I smoked my tailights but then they started to look hazy so I took them off. I've been meaning to try it with the clear coat. I'm a little bit apprehensive that I won't be able to take it off if I have to, but I guess there's paint stripper and acetone for that.

I'd like to see that LED thread when you're done though.

1000 grit sandpaper works, right?

red98civ

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
1000 grit sandpaper works, right?

yeah or 1500, i forget what i used. you'd be better off starting w/ a higher grit and working to a lower but you barely need to sand it

XcLuSiVeLy4GoD

ODP
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Okay so I have had the DDM Tuning hid kit for two weeks and one of them just stopped working... I tried unplugging them and plugging them back in and nothing.... I have emailed ddm and will update just as soon as more information becomes available...

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Okay so I have had the DDM Tuning hid kit for two weeks and one of them just stopped working... I tried unplugging them and plugging them back in and nothing.... I have emailed ddm and will update just as soon as more information becomes available...
Yeah, let us know. They seem to be pretty good with customer service.

moebiius

5+ Year Member
thanks for answering my questions. I already ordered the 35w 5000k about 4 days ago from DDM Tuning. They still haven't shipped it though, I wonder whats taking them so long.
1. Slim ballasts are smaller to allow mounting in tight areas. Most commonly used on motorcycles. However, they work just fine on normal/full size vehicles. Other than size, there is no difference between slim and normal ballasts.
2. They have an option because if you get just lows, when you turn on your hi's nothing will happen.
3. The more wattage, the brighter the light. 35w HID's will not be as bright as 55w HID's depending on what bulb type you have.
4. For absolute pure white, you'd most likely want 55w 6K. 35w 6K's have a slight hint of blue. Running them on a 55w ballast will make them brighter, removing the hint of blue.

This is the tricky part I came across when researching HID's. Cameras, whether it be photo or video, cannot correctly capture the color output of HID's. So all HID's will tend to have a blue hue when on video. If you youtube 14K HID's (purples), they'll look blue.

Here's a quick idea of how HID's will look...

35 Watt Ballast:
3K - Yellow (Fogs)
5K - Pure White
6K - White with hint of blue
8K - Blueish white, more on the blue side
10K - Blue
12K - Blurple (Mix of blue and purple)
14K - Purple

55 Watt Ballast:
3K - Yellow (Fogs)
5K - White
6K - Pure White
8K - White with hint of blue
10K - Blueish white
12K - Blue with some purple
14K - Purple

I have 35w 8K Hi/Lo's on my Civic, 35w 6K's in my T-Bird and 55w 10K's in my lows and fogs on my truck. They're all purchased from DDM Tuning. Out of all the setups, I like my trucks the best. However, I sometimes have to drive with just my fogs on because they're so bright, lol.

Here's some pics of the setup on my truck: (55w 10K's)

Where can I can this Tundra Hood? what brand is it? and I love the ride bro! Nice!

Aldundra

5+ Year Member
Just ordered 55W 8000K Hids after seeing the price and hearing that the kits are pretty good quality.

Granted the lifetime warrenty things helps a bit

Also, H4 is the same thing as 9003/HB2 right?

Because if it isn't, im f**ked

black96ex

Are any of you guys HID's in the stock housing? I'm wondering if the light scatter is really bad with them.