Been "out of the game" for too long...

Decipher

Registered VIP
Awesome. I really appreciate the input, fellas!

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I stopped playing console games after GT4 for PS2 so I'm just as outdated as you are :lol:.

I played Forza maybe a month ago at Best Buy. I didn't like the feel at all. I like the more realistic driving. The understeer, the turning, etc. Gran Turismo is as real as it gets IMO. I loved the licenses. Those were such a challenge and the driving was insanely real.

Decipher

Registered VIP
I stopped playing console games after GT4 for PS2 so I'm just as outdated as you are :lol:.

I played Forza maybe a month ago at Best Buy. I didn't like the feel at all. I like the more realistic driving. The understeer, the turning, etc. Gran Turismo is as real as it gets IMO. I loved the licenses. Those were such a challenge and the driving was insanely real.
You know, I was sort of wondering about the prospect of not being able to play Gran Tourismo. I guess the real deciding factor is which is best out of Forza and GT. Are there any other big players as far as realistic racing games go? It sucks you have to choose, because I've heard great things about forza, but I remember how much I loved GT2 and 3 back in the day... it was the best.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nah, I'd say GT and Forza are the two major players in racing games right now (unless you're into need for speed).

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
need for speed is the same old garbage , over and over again

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^^Agreed... but I kind of think they're all like that...

Decipher

Registered VIP
I never liked any of the need for speed... they've always catered to little kids it seems. The realism just isn't there, instead they use gimmicks.

I want realistic damage, tires that wear, motors that need rebuilt, true to life challenges...

boombotz401

Forza is incredible you won't regret it...forza 4 is very innovative huge car list and very customizable

i <3 my Si

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So I need some help. I'm considering getting a gaming console. I really only miss the racing games, and that's probably the only type of game I'd be playing.

Based on that fact, which console should I get? Which system has the best racing franchise? (The newest game when I sold my xbox was project gotham!) I've heard good things about Forza? Which console is more reliable, better graphics, faster load times, better features...? Any thoughts and suggestions will help.
I'm a Gran Turismo user! :thumbup: on PlayStation 3. This is what i recommend you should do.

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You know, I was sort of wondering about the prospect of not being able to play Gran Tourismo. I guess the real deciding factor is which is best out of Forza and GT. Are there any other big players as far as realistic racing games go? It sucks you have to choose, because I've heard great things about forza, but I remember how much I loved GT2 and 3 back in the day... it was the best.
Only you can decide man, play both, gather your results, and make the decision.

A Foza fan will tell you Forza is best.
A GT fan will tell you GT is best.

at the end of the day, their opinion doesn't matter. You need to play both and figure out which one is for you. www.ign.com you can get good info and feedback on both games here. WOrds do not compare what is is to actually play the game (s). That is the route i would take.

Decipher

Registered VIP
true, that and budget are really my two factors. We'll see. I'm leaning toward the xbox as of right now.

Decipher

Registered VIP
So, I picked up a 360 Slim. I was too impatient too wait until I had enough $ for the 250Gb system, so I'll probably be investing in a bigger HD soon. I also picked up forza 4! This game is f**king awesome.

The only thing that sucks is how you need a paid xbox live subscription to stream netflix... retarded. But I have my apple tv for that, so no big deal. Thanks for everybody's input in helping my make my choice!

Decipher

Registered VIP
Looking for more input. I'm on a quest to build myself a nice collection of good, fun, worthwhile games. As of now, Forza 4 , Skyrim, and Tiger Woods PGA Tour '10 are all I've been playing. I'm done with the Call of Duty 1st person shooter type games... I just traded them all in because after 7 years they're all still exactly the same as they were when I last had a system.

So what are the most under rated games for the 360? Something substantive, or fun for split-screen play. Maybe something that my old lady could get into with me? What do you guys think is good for this console?

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I just got a 4gb XBOX 360 with Forza 4, I'm happy with it.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you want more realistic go PS3 and GT5, If you want an experience thats probably 10% less realistic than GT5 but with a much wider variety of cars, customization, and a few more gametypes like soccer with cars Go with Forza. I own Forza myself and my buddy who was PS3 since day one and just bought a 360 a couple months ago prefers Forza, but he says GT5 is a bit more realistic.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Looking for more input. I'm on a quest to build myself a nice collection of good, fun, worthwhile games. As of now, Forza 4 , Skyrim, and Tiger Woods PGA Tour '10 are all I've been playing. I'm done with the Call of Duty 1st person shooter type games... I just traded them all in because after 7 years they're all still exactly the same as they were when I last had a system.

So what are the most under rated games for the 360? Something substantive, or fun for split-screen play. Maybe something that my old lady could get into with me? What do you guys think is good for this console?
Fable is pretty awesome. Grand Theft Auto IV is a must have! Red Dead Redemption is also really good. If you think you're good at racing games, really test your skill and pickup Formula 1 2010... if it turns out you are good then trade in 2010 when 2012 comes out.

My old lady really loves the kinect since I bought it - Newegg $100 with 3 games. Most of the kinect games have downloadable demos so you can try before you buy. We have a blast with Fruit Ninja and Kinect Adventures. I love Kung Fu High Impact because it puts you inside a 2D fighter game and is frickin awesome.

Last edited:

Decipher

Registered VIP
If you want more realistic go PS3 and GT5, If you want an experience thats probably 10% less realistic than GT5 but with a much wider variety of cars, customization, and a few more gametypes like soccer with cars Go with Forza. I own Forza myself and my buddy who was PS3 since day one and just bought a 360 a couple months ago prefers Forza, but he says GT5 is a bit more realistic.
Yea, I was worried about just how realistic Forza 4 was going to be, since I was familiar with GT already... but I have been pleasantly surprised. The only way to play(in my opinion) is with the inside the car view, all settings on simulation with no replay. I've been super happy with the physics engine, graphics, and gameplay. Well worth the money.

Fable is pretty awesome. Grand Theft Auto IV is a must have! Red Dead Redemption is also really good. If you think you're good at racing games, really test your skill and pickup Formula 1 2010... if it turns out you are good then trade in 2010 when 2012 comes out.

My old lady really loves the kinect since I bought it - Newegg $100 with 3 games. Most of the kinect games have downloadable demos so you can try before you buy. We have a blast with Fruit Ninja and Kinect Adventures. I love Kung Fu High Impact because it puts you inside a 2D fighter game and is frickin awesome.
I actually bought Fable the other day... right before I returned it and got Skyrim. From the looks of it, I thought it had the potential to be something my wife would enjoy playing with me, or at least watching, but after 10 minutes playing it I knew it wasn't for me. I'm so glad I got Skyrim... this game is phenomenal! My wife thoroughly enjoys watching and gets really invested in the story. The map, the 1st person play, and the graphics are insane. I'm totally geeking out on this title right now.

I was wondering about Portal or Portal 2. I've heard things here and there about it being really fun. I was thinking about getting Apache Air Assault too... looked pretty good.

I guess my only real aversion these days is to the war based 1st person shooters... any "shooters" for that matter... they're getting so redundant. I played those games endlessly during my hayday as a gamer almost a decade ago, and I think I'm trying to step outside of the box and explore a different gaming experience this time around.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I enjoyed Fable on 360 because I had played it years ago on PC. It was a game that you could play beginning to end 3 or 4 times and have a different experience each time, but didn't take a month to get through the story line. Skyrim is without a doubt one of the best games on the market, and will engulf your free time for weeks and months. Unlike Fable, the world is completely open and you don't necessarily have to follow a quest schedule to complete the game... you have more freedom to choose what to accomplish and what to skip.

Portal and P2 were fun, but once you've played through the game once (which takes a day or two), you really won't play through it again.

I thought apache air assault was rather boring, and difficult to play with a 360 controller.

I know you don't care for military shooters, but the single player campaign for CoD Black Ops was fantastic! Multiplayer is like any other...

Let me just irriterate, Grand Theft Auto IV is a MUST.

Last edited:

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Before you give up on first person shooters, it might be worth your time to try out battlefield 3... beats the hell out of CoD.. so much more depth to the multiplayer gameplay.

I'd also recommend the mass effect series. You should be able to get mass effect 1 fairly cheap.

One VERY underrated game is Katamari. It's a series, actually, but hasn't gotten much recognition in America. I'd recommend giving a Katamari game a try. It's something your girlfriend/wife could probably enjoy, also (mine does).

I haven't actually tried the portal gams, but I've heard great things, and the first one should be pretty cheap by now.

If you're a fan of Sonic the Hedgehog, the newest one is fun - Sonic Generations

I'd say you're bound to like at least one of those.