Boosting a d15

Pr0n1s

Respected
So I have a 93 civic that is vind out for a d16 but someone put a d15 in it and I'm thinking of cheap fun things and I want to boost it. Seen cheap ebay kits for like 600 but I want to keep it low like 6lbs or so. But does anyone know if I'll have to reflash anything or with that low of boost can I just bolt on and go. Also I can't find the map sensor or anything that looks like it should go to it.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
What model do you have? EX / LX / etc? EX comes with a D16 motor, others come with D15. My guess is that you have an EX but the motor had issues and the previous owner swapped in a D16.

In short, you can just bolt on and go, but it will not last. You need to tune the car, otherwise it's going to lack fuel and cause detonation.

Those ebay kits are cheap for a reason. Fitment is poor, the seals on the turbos are garbage, and overall they're just not a good idea.

If you want to play with boost, do it right. Expect to drop a couple thousand $ on this. A proper tune should cost you around $500 alone. The tune is THE most important part of any FI setup.

Cheap. Fast. Reliable. You only get to choose 2.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
...I'm thinking of cheap fun things and I want to boost it.
Boost is not something cheap in any realm and should not be treated as such. If you do then its guaranteed that performance will suffer and costly repairs will be in your future.

There are VERY FEW people who have had reliable experiences with generic eBay turbo kits but only while not pushing much out of them. It'd make more sense to upgrade internals, port & polish the cylinders, and so on.

Also I can't find the map sensor or anything that looks like it should go to it.
Visit HondaPartsNow.com and pull up the diagram to whichever car your D15 pertains to. You can also download the service manuals online for each and look up the wiring harnesses then try to trace the origins and figure out what to do from there.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It'd make more sense to upgrade internals, port & polish the cylinders, and so on.
This isn't out of the question, but likely overkill for what OP wants, judging by his clause of wanting low boost, even though low psi is irrelevant as it's the size of the turbo that really matters.

@Pr0n1s what's your power goal, HP wise? And what's your budget? PSI is irrelevent because 6psi on a T3/T4 will be much different than 6psi on something larger.

http://www.beesandgoats.com/boostfaq/g2icturbo.html

^ Read this, it's a bible of turbo goodness.

Pr0n1s

Respected
Not looking for to much HP budget wise maybe bout 1k I'm looking into bigger injectors and fuel rail adding an oil cooler.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Not looking for to much HP budget wise maybe bout 1k I'm looking into bigger injectors and fuel rail adding an oil cooler.
It will be very, very hard to get all this done with $1000. Tuning alone should run you $500.

My advice, save your $ and plan to turbo it correctly. Expect to spent upwards of $2500. Don't cheap out on crappy parts that will likely break. Remember, you're going to be forcing a whole lot of extra air and gases through these parts, and they're going to get hot!