Brak's 98 EX

Otto85

MYSTERY SOLVED!!!
Its the "Air Assist Solenoid" i found pictures here

Looks like they added this system for 99/00, and based on the pictures, mine is broken, so i'll replace it with a plug.

Although... It might help with the aforementioned idle issue.
we'll see.

---EDIT---
Otto, the CEL is always on, along with SRS. car came that way, but my scanner shows no codes present
Dont Worry, It's on the list.
Ahhh sweet

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
... PS, I expect pics of your '73 Opel GT project sometime soon ;)
I can give you this...

We're still waiting for spring, so it's nestled up against the 56 Chevy Wagon, 65 Impala, and the one of the Satellites... ;)

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
Although... It might help with the aforementioned idle issue. we'll see.
OK i think i misspoke.. I don't have an idle issue anymore.
After i replaced the distributor cap, I forgot to keep an eye on it.

I posted this on another thread, and should've added it here too.

This is what happens when you dont have a gasket for your distributor cap, and there's coolant spraying around the engine bay..

Note the Green contacts, and you can't really see it, but the carbon build up was so bad, i don't know how this thing even ran...

I had intended on replacing it when i did the plugs and wires, but i got the wrong cap & rotor.
didn't realize there were two possible distributors.

Oh the fun of unraveling someone elses mess :mrgreen:

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
Well, was a good morning at the junk yard...

Got a bunch of switches where with the lettering intact, a cupholder without the stupid lid, and most of the stuff i need for my manual swap.
Manual Gauge Cluster, Clutch pedal & Slave cylinder with the hardline (not pictured)

also picked up a stainless header, with cat and resonator. not sure the brand, but it's much better than what's on my car now.

Total Cost $50

Gonna try and go back tomorrow, and pull the transmission + shifter assembly.
Also the sunvisor, and Sunroof shade i forgot to pull.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
with that out of the way. Time to swap the front struts.

Parts have arrived and are ready to go.

And yes. there is a tool box in my kitchen.
Ladies visit, but they don't live here. :mrgreen:

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
Well, struts were a no go...
went to remove them, and found the nut on mounting fork, is completely rounded off on one side, and non existant on the other. looks like it sheared off long ago, based on the rust.
this is the part that clamps down on the bottom of the strut, but they appear to be welded in with rust, and aren't going anywhere soon.

now to figure out where the hell i can get a new pair, without spending an arm and a leg.

On the plus side, i replaced the upper control arms, and it's night and day, old shocks aren't nearly as bad as i thought.
now when i drive across railroad tracks, it no longer feels like my front suspension is going to fall off :lol:

Those ball joints were in bad condition

and to top things off, it seems someone hit my car in the Target parking lot :cussing:

there was already a crack along the top, that someone had glued up. but everything else is new.

looks like i need a new bumper sooner than i thought.

Otto85

Man that sucks, might wanna go check the scrap yard for the strut bolts that would definitely be the best place to start

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
as you can see from this stock photo, the bolt goes through the housing, and they're rusted in there solid.

The amount of drilling it would take to to try and get them out, is honestly not worth the effort.

I've put about 200 miles on the car since yesterday, and it rides nice now, thanks to the upper ball joints, so these shocks will be good for the time being.

I'll put them on the "eventually" list.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
Well. my car was stolen from out in front of my house. :angryred:
i guess this thread is done.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
Well... $400 later it's home.

Rims were gone, and the impound just threw it on the ground. weight of the car being supported by the oil pan :smackself

I had to hire a tow (at my own expense) and get creative, in order to get my steelies back on it.

the scrape mark on the ground runs the entire lenght of the car, so i assume they just pushed it off of a flat bed.

all in all, the body and interior aren't as bad as i expected, but the core support is thrashed, and my brand new radiator is trash.

dunno what i'm going to do with this thing going forward

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Wow.... It looks like the people who recovered your car did more damage than the thieves. That's unreal.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
Well, it's taken a couple weeks of scrounging parts, but it's finally drivable again.

Luckily i had picked up those exhaust parts back in post #24, because the existing system was completely mangled from the car being on the ground.
the muffler literally fell off when i lifted it up.

new stereo should arrive tomorrow, and i've got a line on a front clip.

at this point, i guess this is now a "forever car", because with the cost of getting it back, and fixing it, i'm now invested well over it's value.
so much for a $400 quick fixer.

I've know of an Odyssey i can get for peanuts.... so... J-Swap?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You should consider investing in a 2-way car alarm to help prevent another theft and loss of the money you want to keep putting into it.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
Digging around under the dash I found it has one. With remote start. Just gotta figure out what I need to make it work.
That was definitely on the list... Remote start is a must during the winter

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
Final piece of the exhaust has been installed

Also, new stereo arrived.

Deck was the cheapest i could find, with the features i needed, and included the speakers as a package deal.
not my first choice, but will be good enough...

My biggest pet peeve is bad wiring, so it was time to bust out the soldering iron & heat shrink.

Final product

Last edited: