Brak's 98 EX

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
I have purchased the entire kit from JDI. Ghost key is worth every dollar.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
Thanks.
new starter should be here soon.
I also ordered a new radiator, radiator fan, and the Ghost Key today.

This better run. :lol:

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Thanks.
new starter should be here soon.
I also ordered a new radiator, radiator fan, and the Ghost Key today.

This better run. :lol:
Ghost Key is great. I have them as well.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
i wish it was active, so that you don't have to physically swipe, but i'll take what i can get...

I'm hoping when i remove the existing ignition switch harness, it will take the old security system with it.

the relentless beeping when the door is open drives me crazy...
pretty sure it can be heard in one of the interior shots.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
new starter arrived today.
got it installed, and confirmed motor spins freely (albeit slowly), and i have spark.
Compression test was horrible, which is to be expected due to how long it sat.
I put MMO in the cylinders when i first tore into it, which likely helped, but the "0" on cylinder 2 has me worried.

car has a 1/4 tank of Kerosene at this point, and i only had about a gallon of fresh stuff on hand, so i'll need to take care of that.
buttoned it back up, and tried starting it, got a couple shakes, which is promising.

unfortunately that's as far as i got, because once again the weather is not cooperating.
Plus my Go Pro took a $hit, and i lost everything i had shot. or more correctly, it didn't actually record anything at all.

At this point, I don't have anyone to help me push it into the garage, so it's stuck in my driveway until it can move under it's own power...
it rained nonstop all weekend, and will likely rain for the next 2 days.
So Frustrating.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Get it covered up if its not water tight. Best you can do dude.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
oh, it's fine. it's spent it's entire life outside. Garage is for working, not parking :D

I just need to get it into the garage, so weather doesn't keep slowing me down, and allow me to work at night, protected from the swarms of bloodsuckers.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
added 5 gallons of fresh fuel to the 1/4 tank of Kerosene, and punched new lugs onto battery cables.

Tried starting it, but no dice.
it stumbled a few times, but wouldn't catch. even using ether...

Engine is rotating much slower than i would expect, so i guess my jump pack isn't up to the task.
even jumping it from my truck was no bueno, so i guess i'll have to give in and get a new battery when i get paid next week.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
I need to put kerosene into my RV gas tank (ToyHauler with a reserve built in petrol-tank). Not Honda related but definitely maintenance related.

I started working on the ACTY's today and ended up punching two rust holes through right around the windshield.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
BTW it should have started fine off your truck. Check your grounds again and grind down and metal contact points to ensure a good ground.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
i replaced most of the ground straps when i replaced the battery wires.
Picked up a new battery yesterday, and the motor now spins at i would expect.

Last week i found this, while going through boxes of old parts.

Never got to install it, back in the day...

Today i managed to get to the junkyard, and found a couple odds and ends

the hazard switch is beat up, but it will do the job until i can get to my storage unit back in Minneapolis.
I have a couple in better condition.

Also, this happened

my mom texted and asked if i could bring over the weed whacker when i'm done with it :rolf:

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Awesome updates Brak!

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
Got my oil, valve cover gasket, and plugs replaced last night.
still need to sort out the lack of brakes, but i'm a couple steps closer.

Previously i was concerned about the compression, but that was before i got the new battery...

Currently reading ~130 on all cylinders, but that wasn't at WOT, and the accuracy of the gauge is questionable, so i'm happy with the results.
readings are consistent.

at some point i'll do a leakdown test, and i can check the compression again (at WOT this time).

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
In regards to the brakes... I fear for the worst.

i can hear a squirting noise when i step on the pedal, so i checked all 4 wheels, and i don't see any evidence of leakage...
while i was under the car changing the oil, i was poking around and noticed that plastic channel that houses the brake lines is wet right under the drivers door /facepalm

Guessing new hard lines are on the horizon.
i hate flaring and bending lines.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
Havent gotten to the brakes yet, but placed an order for some parts which should arrive in the next few days...
Hoping i can get the ghost key installed this weekend.

Either way, new video is up, covering stuff i already posted about here...

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Your videos are turning out pretty good dude.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
Your videos are turning out pretty good dude.
Thanks.

made some progress over the last week or so...
Ghost key is installed, and it allowed me to completely remove the mess that has been under my dash...

Best part, the constant dinging is gone. ever since i've owned it, the car has thought the key was inserted, so it would freak out any time the door was open, and the ignition was off...

In other news, i swapped some of the switches while i had the dash disassembled.
i've had these in a box for years, originally pulled them because the print is like new, but at the time i didn't realize there was a darker interior option.

I like the color contrast for the sunroof, and mirror switches.
on the fence for the dimmer and cruise...

Fun Fact:
I had the car for nearly a year before i figured out what that cruise button was.
my old one didn't light up when pressed.
Cruise always worked, until one day it didn't. went down an crazy troubleshooting rabbit hole testing circuits.
turns out it had always been on, and i had accidentally turned it off while cleaning the dash.