Califonia law!!!

818EK_

So here in california people get pulled over for having loud exhaust, and i know there is a law such as if you modify your muffler/exhaust, its illegal. . . .and i recently purchased full cat-back exhaust system it should be coming any day, and online it said its 50-state legal, so my question is since its is legal and if i get pulled over for a loud exhaust, what should i do? how can someone prove there loud exhaust is legal???

anyone have some personal experiance with cops hassling them??:?:

dank24

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
what kinda engine u got?

dank24

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
tell them your y8 is only getting about 2whp for a cat back. He will laugh and probably let you off.

TaNk00VsM

5+ Year Member
they do it by decibals. if your car goes over someting like 98 decibles its too loud therefore illegal. my buddy has a gti and got stopped for modded exhaust we told me that it didint got over 98 decibles which was the limit and we got let off. id just say that!

Akiahara96

back!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
it's 95 dB. if you get pulled over for it, you politely take your ticket.

you get your exhaust decibel level tested, you take that piece of paper and a copy of the law to court with you.

i got a ticket for this, btw, and that's what i did. the ticket was dismissed and i didn't have to pay a thing. this was in washington, but they use the same california law, so... :what:

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I am almost positive the "50 State Legal" thing has to do with c.a.r.b. laws and not noise. Meaning that it is legal for emissions testing. You should have read a little deeper into what the statement meant.

BTW if your exhaust is modified in ANY way from stock it is a technically breaking a federal law. Most don't abide by it and most jurisdictions don't give tickets based on it, but they could.

818EK_

it's 95 dB. if you get pulled over for it, you politely take your ticket.

you get your exhaust decibel level tested, you take that piece of paper and a copy of the law to court with you.

i got a ticket for this, btw, and that's what i did. the ticket was dismissed and i didn't have to pay a thing. this was in washington, but they use the same california law, so... :what:
Yea ive herd of this. . were could i take it to get tested?

I am almost positive the "50 State Legal" thing has to do with c.a.r.b. laws and not noise. Meaning that it is legal for emissions testing. You should have read a little deeper into what the statement meant.

BTW if your exhaust is modified in ANY way from stock it is a technically breaking a federal law. Most don't abide by it and most jurisdictions don't give tickets based on it, but they could.
And yea it was talking about the carb, im sure theres a way around this, sucks california has to be so strict, motorcycles exhaust go loud as hell, nobody ever bothers them. . . .. sad

Akiahara96

back!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i took mine to a muffler place for testing. just make sure it's dated and signed by the guy who does it.

and you know what, my "totally legal, compatible with stock equipment" aftermarket exhaust tripped my CEL and now i can't pass emissions. wasn't supposed to have problems with it, either, so i'm pretty annoyed.

JdmPrncss

I ♥ NYGraFFit :)
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

In Va they're bad about exhaust tickets :/ My just got one last week and I got one sunday...

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
And yea it was talking about the carb, im sure theres a way around this, sucks california has to be so strict, motorcycles exhaust go loud as hell, nobody ever bothers them. . . .. sad
California has such strict laws on emissions because of the massive amount of pollution down their. It is ridiculous how high it is there.

Again, C.A.R.B. laws have NOTHING to do with noise.

In Va they're bad about exhaust tickets :/ My just got one last week and I got one sunday...
Some states are very strict. Hell some states that are very lenient have areas that are strict. I have never pulled over for exhaust in my area, but have been pulled over just 20 minutes from home. They are way more strict down by the waterfront here than they are up in town.

Location, location, location.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
just a heads up.. a website advertising an exhaust as being 50 state legal does NOT mean it is GUARANTEED to be excepted as CARB legal..

Boricua_Civic

thats bullshit, because down here you b seeing all these hillbillies with F-350s raised up about 10 feet and sound like a damn airplane! they just hate on the Tuners!

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How do you know they aren't getting pulled over either? Do you follow all of them around 24/7? I am guessing that they are having just as much problems if they are as modified as you claim.

mikemo

5+ Year Member
try getting a cover for air intake ,bought new intake filter with out it my car got very loud .maybe boxing it in will help

Rocky91890

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You just dont ever see the trucks or the motorcycles getting pulled over for their exhaust, its always the tuners, I got into that discussion with a guy at my local deli...He said he has been driving different Harley for the past 40 years and has never been pulled over and he guarantees his exhaust is 10 times louder then any cars he has heard.

But the part that gets me is around here in PA I have gotten a ticket for illegal exhaust mods and I have the same exhaust header and everything but the intake that cam from the factory, i took it to court and told the judge, he said it doesnt matter, if the cop that pulled me over says its to loud then its to loud.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
But the part that gets me is around here in PA I have gotten a ticket for illegal exhaust mods and I have the same exhaust header and everything but the intake that cam from the factory, i took it to court and told the judge, he said it doesnt matter, if the cop that pulled me over says its to loud then its to loud.
that's when you appeal. one judge's decision isn't the last word.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
very glad that here in florida, they dont give a s**t :P
same with indiana. no cats, no resonators, ewg vented to atmosphere... plus no emissions/inspection