catalytic converter

tjsavoy

Is it difficult/expensive to replace the cc on a 2000 civic coupe ex? How can I guarantee that I order the right part? Nothing new or fancy on the car. I'm 16, so I'm just getting started... This is my first car.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Its pretty easy. 5 bolts/nuts I believe. 2 in front 3 in back

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just get headers. Skip the catalytic converter.
A header for him would still leave an empty space that needs filling with either a stock cat, high flow cat, or test pipe

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

RonJ

Banned
For the 00 Civic EX, the secondary O2 sensor screws into a bung at the top of the cat, so yes you'll need to remove the sensor from the cat when replacing it.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Magnaflows high flow cat is cheaper than oem and flows better.
However if he's looking to stay quiet that's not going to help. My cat went out and I just went with OE only because I realllllly didn't want to be louder than I already am. But if that's not an issue I would say go for it.

OE is very expensive however. But cats aren't cheap period.

For the 00 Civic EX, the secondary O2 sensor screws into a bung at the top of the cat, so yes you'll need to remove the sensor from the cat when replacing it.
Disco.

Its pretty easy. 5 bolts/nuts I believe. 2 in front 3 in back
Yup. Just make sure you soak that ish in PB (especially the rear three), it'll be much easier. I almost started crying I was so pissed I couldn't get them off. I'm a weak one, no upper body strength. :oops:

And as for the O2 sensor removal, I would go to O'Reilly's an rent an O2 sensor socket (it's free). I wouldn't recommend using a crescent wrench. You might strip it that way.

DavidR

5+ Year Member
Just bought a 99 civic ex and have CEL for a p0420, Car is running a little rough, Just wondering if an aftermarket cat will work just as good as an OEM. I hear with aftermarkets will set off the CEL for a p0420. really don't care about the check engine light as long as I can get the car to run smooth, plus I can't afford a brand new one from honda at the moment. Any recomendations on aftermarket cats would be apreciated. I'm not looking for anything that is gonna make the exhaust louder, just a simple replacement.

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
You can get a CEL eliminator if you run a test pipe, but shouldn't have a problem with any direct fit cat.

DavidR

5+ Year Member
But would the engine run properly even though the aftermarket will be triggering a CEL?

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yes it will. The cel will be on just telling you that your cat is not doing its job. It will wonder why the same amount of emissions are entering and exiting the cat, causing it to throw a code. You're engine won't run any different. However your gas mileage will slightly be altered.

DavidR

5+ Year Member
If I do that 02 sensor trick woud that restore the lost gas milage when I install the new cat?

cclark

i have a 1999 honda civic lx that need a new catalytic converter. How difficuly DIY. I am fairly handy, is there any welding involved?