Cold Air Intake??

Civic Stud

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Would you recommend purchasing a cold air intake for a daily driver car???? Also i heard that it will waterlock your engine if it gets wet...is this true?

Civic Stud

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you do suggest it what kind should i go with?

Silver Bullet

6 spd = titis
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its true....water+engine= new motor
get a bypass valve or whatever its called but that doesnt always work
search my dude
google is ur friend

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
as long as the filter is protected from a high amount of water exposure, then you'll be good.

wetcmonkey

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you can always put the filter half way if it rains jsut depends SR kinda loud CAI a lil quieter

desiscrubs

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
they are actually supposed to give better gas mileage, but there is the chance of water damage....just be smart where you put it, and get a bypass valve--worth the 30-40 bucks they cost

RedLine42

High Speed
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Alright, The cold air intake makes a little more power then a short ram intake. First of all a bypass valve basically defeats the purpose of having a cold air intake. Iv had my AEM V2 cai and been through alot of rain and ect and iv been fine. You basically gotta submerge the filter to hydrolock it. I know some people riding around with the filter exposed and theyve been fine. The short ram is easier to install and yes has a lesser chance of hydrolocking. If i get my swap ill probably get a PWJDM Powerchamber intake which is a shortram and have a pipe that lets cold air around the filter.

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
RedLine42 said:
Alright, The cold air intake makes a little more power then a short ram intake. First of all a bypass valve basically defeats the purpose of having a cold air intake. Iv had my AEM V2 cai and been through alot of rain and ect and iv been fine. You basically gotta submerge the filter to hydrolock it. I know some people riding around with the filter exposed and theyve been fine. The short ram is easier to install and yes has a lesser chance of hydrolocking. If i get my swap ill probably get a PWJDM Powerchamber intake which is a shortram and have a pipe that lets cold air around the filter.
Pretty much everything I would have said :thumbs up

Hydrolocking doesn't happen as much as most people think. It pretty much has to be submerged to suck up water honestly. I live where it rains A LOT, had a short ram for 2 years, drove in the rain constantly and never had a problem.

iCivic

EJ8 in the making...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if it floods your f**ked with the CAI unless you have a bypass valve...
it's true as mentioned CAI's are supposed to give you better gas mileage..
CAI on a d series stock motor will make a wopping probably .25hp gain lol...

if you get one it doesn't matter all your decision, i've heard the WP short ram intake is better than the CAI...and i've heard that a like fram drop filter in your stock box will make almost as much diff.

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Honestly, intakes won't give any noticable power on a honda. Thats just a fact. So don't spend a lot of money for a brand name or one that is supposedly "dyno proven." Get one that has a good filter that won't f**k you in the long run and something that looks nice in your engine bay....

redcivicls95

redcivicls95
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Vapor Lock isn't worth a the price of your engine....And unless your doin a swap your not gonna make a whole lot of power out of those lil 1.7's unless you boost'em......So yeah just go with short ram for a daily drive and the ones on ebay are amazing for the price.....

ryanM

ive driven through enormous puddles, rain, snow, everything with my cold air and have NEVER had a single problem. i dont even have the fender liner that would normally protect the filter, mines just out in the open.

terceltyler

The Silver Bullet
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i know some mechanics who actually use water to clean the engine like a seafoam treament. its like steam cleanging it. unless that b***h is fully submerged its not gonna hurt. might even help actually

roaddogg3034

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
CivicBoy80 said:
what's the best air intake for 2000 SI; I have like 4k i could put into intake project. Let me know
CivicBoy80 said:
$15 is cheap and will hurt gas mileage u get what u pay for
do you honestly wanna spend 4k on an intake? thats f**kin retarded. all you pay for on an intake is the brand name stamped on it. theres only so many ways to make a pipe with a filter at the end. theres no ultimate intake, its mainly preference. but IMO, the password-jdm carbon intake would look the best.;)

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
4K on an intake? You could get a nice ass turbo kit for that much...I hope that's what you mean.