d16y8 performance

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok thanks people thats a whole lot of Info there... But what if I remove everything else and leave the A/C Its mad hot here i dont think taking that away will be a good thing!.... can I remove everything else except that?
and where can I find steps in removing these items ex. Power Steering and Cruise Control That I use never... isnt the strut Bar needed though for better traction or something?
It's your DD... I wouldn't recommend removing A/C or power steering unless it was a dedicated track car. Cruise Control... up to you. I personally use it, so I would never remove mine, and wouldn't recommend anyone doing so unless they absolutely never want to use it.

A strut bar reduces chassis flex by tying the struts together... I wouldn't recommend removing it unless you are ONLY concerned with your quarter mile time, as removing it will decrease your handling.

Khnemu

5+ Year Member
It's your DD... I wouldn't recommend removing A/C or power steering unless it was a dedicated track car. Cruise Control... up to you. I personally use it, so I would never remove mine, and wouldn't recommend anyone doing so unless they absolutely never want to use it.

A strut bar reduces chassis flex by tying the struts together... I wouldn't recommend removing it unless you are ONLY concerned with your quarter mile time, as removing it will decrease your handling.
Beat me to it. :evil:

:cool:

_Ben_W

5+ Year Member
Stage 2 bisimoto cam with a skunk 2 intake manifold and convert from obd2 to obd1 with a chipped p28 ecu and a good tune. Still reliable and enough power to give you better 1/4 times.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Stage 2 bisimoto cam with a skunk 2 intake manifold and convert from obd2 to obd1 with a chipped p28 ecu and a good tune. Still reliable and enough power to give you better 1/4 times.
hmm......no comment

esco4more

5+ Year Member
Thanks for this infor because thios was more or less what i was looking for id it possible for you to direct me to best sites or places to purchase these parts

Zzyzxek

5+ Year Member
get rid of the d16y8 they suck. get a z6 or d15b if you want to stick with d series. if you do then build a d15b, vitara pistons and eagle rods (you can get em from fjdistributors for good prices) then go to GO-AUTOWORKS.com and get a tuner kit. then get some injectors and get it tuned. all of that will run you about 5000 bucks tops and you will have a 300-400whp d series civic and run 11s. or just get a d15b or z6 and run 10psi/tuned on stock interals and you can make 200-220whp safely for about 3000 bucks.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
get rid of the d16y8 they suck. get a z6 or d15b if you want to stick with d series.
The good thing about buying another engine to swap in is that you can build it seperately and still have a running car. Then, once it's fully built, you can swap it in. No time without your DD.

The bad thing, of course, is that it costs more money.

_Ben_W

5+ Year Member
Check out www.fjdistributors.com. and www.bisimoto.com. As for the y8 is crap theory, do more research. The y8 has bad oil flow, but can be fixed by porting the oil pump. The op asked for something to make his y8 a little faster which is what I suggested. No one wants to hear "you just need to swap" when they want to go a little faster. If you want more information on your engine check out www.d-series.org and www.onecamonly.com. Cool guys, and willing to help you out with the d series without telling you to swap

airzi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
do ppl sell these obd convrsions on ebay?

airzi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
wkd thanks. so there is jst no chance of getting my current ECU re mapped?

_Ben_W

5+ Year Member
Only if you use a piggyback like edelbrock turbo kit uses, but going obd 1 is much easier. Why are you so set on tuning right now? I don't see you gaining much at all without boost or a cam and springs. What I would do is find a local shop that tunes, and see what he uses, and do research on that. Here in Houston, to get an obd1 ecu chipped and 2 hours of dyno time runs $450. Its not something I would trust any shadetree mechanic to perform. Just my .02

munoz4415

5+ Year Member
i agree. delete: power steering, rear end seats, panels. trim, a/c, lighter wheels, convert to manual windows, fiberglass fenders and hood, get manual mirrors, remove cruise control. little s**t like that adds up to alot of weight.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i agree. delete: power steering, rear end seats, panels. trim, a/c, lighter wheels, convert to manual windows, fiberglass fenders and hood, get manual mirrors, remove cruise control. little s**t like that adds up to alot of weight.
1.5 month old thread you're posting on here...

Just saying.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Excellent first post by bringing back an old thread! Brewers suck.