Do I really not have an oxygen sensor??

serversurfer

So, my car's been throwing CEL 41 ever since I got it, about a month ago. After some debate, I decided to just get a new sensor rather than shell out for a multimeter only to find that I needed a new sensor anyway. However, since my '93 CX had a D16Z6 swapped in to it by persons unknown, I decided I should probably take a peek at the wiring, just to make sure it wasn't obviously wrong. That's when I hit a snag.

Shouldn't this be where my oxygen sensor goes?

I found this plug on the lower-left of the engine, kind of near the block stamp.

This plug is up near the distributor.

So, am I looking in the wrong place, or what? Wouldn't my car run like crap without an oxygen sensor? It's died a couple of times when it was really cold out — no, I haven't cleaned the IACV or the FITV yet — but other than that, it seems to run like a champ.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
first one i dont belive is it, to many plugs for the o2 sensor wires. they are only 2,3,4 wires depending.

second one might be it. or just see if you have a o2 sensor under the car? problem solved

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The O2 sensor will be in the exhaust system somewhere (some put it close to or just after the catalytic converter) That manifold doesn't look right for a Z6, but it's been so long since I had a D-series I couldn't remember.

Get the car on stands or on wheel ramps and look at the whole exhaust, anything with 2 wires and screwed into the pipe would be your O2 sensor, from there on out it's plug and play. Good luck getting the old one out, they bind in there pretty-pretty-good.

The smaller plug if either would be the right one, it is the "H" plug or 2 prong plug.

95CTR

52mpg? I do it all day.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the two wire one that you have pictured should be the O2 plug, and yes the bung on the side of the manifold is one location that it could go, and there may be another further back... but if your car is a CX with and OBD1 Z6, just go to a junk yard, snag a two wire O2 sensor from there, (make sure the clips are the same though) as far as the dieing i dont think that would have anything to do with the O2 cause my 95 CX (although not swapped) has no O2 and has never stalled out on its own. but the Z6 may be different...

if you get a sensor from the yard and the thing is bad, then just cut it off with as close to th esensor as possible and use the extra wire to solder and shrink wrap the new O2 that you'd get.

hope that helps. btw

and even though mine is still a one wire, i can take a pic of how the wire is ran if youd like it for referance

serversurfer

That manifold doesn't look right for a Z6, but it's been so long since I had a D-series I couldn't remember.
I'm pretty sure it's the stock manifold. While I know it's not GREATEST EXHAUST EVAR, that's not really a problem, is it?

Get the car on stands or on wheel ramps and look at the whole exhaust, anything with 2 wires and screwed into the pipe would be your O2 sensor, from there on out it's plug and play.
The dude at Valvoline went under the car and said he didn't see anything, not even any wires.

as far as the dieing i dont think that would have anything to do with the O2 cause my 95 CX (although not swapped) has no O2 and has never stalled out on its own. but the Z6 may be different...
So it is possible my car is just running without one? So does that mean I want to install one, or not? I mean, the sensor is only $27 brand new. Isn't it better to have it?

The P28 ECU for the D16Z6 engine looks for a 4-wire O2 sensor.
So you're saying that I'll need to wire it for four wires? I assume that means I currently have a 2-wire plug, the second plug pictured? If so, how do I fix that?

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i think you have a bigger issure than a sensor missing. possible plug or something. you should have a o2 sensor and it will a a 4 wire sensor. so a plug that has for pin holes

RonJ

Banned
So you're saying that I'll need to wire it for four wires? I assume that means I currently have a 2-wire plug, the second plug pictured? If so, how do I fix that?
Remove the passenger side kick panel to see what ECU is installed. To match the D16Z6 engine, you should have a P28 ECU, which requires a 4-wire O2 sensor.

If you find a 1-wire connector (edited) that has an O2 sensor wire (post clear pictures of the wire colors in the loose connectors), then the car may originally have had a D15B8 engine, which runs a 1-wire (edited) O2 sensor. In this case, you may want to source an engine wire harness from an ex or Si eg.

95CTR

52mpg? I do it all day.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So it is possible my car is just running without one? So does that mean I want to install one, or not? I mean, the sensor is only $27 brand new. Isn't it better to have it?

well your car will run with out it, it will just possibly throw a code, or run like poop, oddly i think my car might be a differnt breed because mine went bad, i deleted it, and my MPG went up and it runs the same as it did before (mines also a one wire OBD1 car though)

you should install one, it is better to have it, i just didnt do it cause my mpg's went up as much as they did, plus sense my motor has the miles that it does, i said the hell with it, when it dies it dies. because my car not having an O2 in it is causeing it to run lean, which is were the milage came from but that means im closer to running the risk of burning a valve if im not carful.

but yeah if i were you id look under the car for one, and if you dont find it, obveiously the Z6 should have a four wire O2, so look for a four wire plug in that general aera that has one white, one green, and two black wires, that should be it. (the colors may be differnt, but thats what i seem to remeber they were on an integra i had) if some one else knows a different color set im sure they will correct me.

serversurfer

I have a P28 ECU. The wires on the plug near the dizzy are green/white, black/white, and yellow/white. On the plug by the block, they appear to be orange (x2), white/blue, [missing] across the "top" and white, green/white, black, and yellow/black across the "bottom." I don't notice any other obvious empty plugs, but I'm not sure where to look.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I hope ur a girl...

If not, plz cut your crackhead finger nails...

RonJ

Banned
I have a P28 ECU. The wires on the plug near the dizzy are green/white, black/white, and yellow/white.
Your car must be a VX, which originally had a D15Z1 engine. This engine had an EGR valve lift sensor. It has 3P connector with Grn/Wht, Wht/Blk, and Yel/Wht wires.

On the plug by the block, they appear to be orange (x2), white/blue, [missing] across the "top" and white, green/white, black, and yellow/black across the "bottom."
This is the LAF sensor plug (wide band O2 sensor) for the VX/D15Z1 engine. You now need the engine wire harness from an EX/Si D16Z6 engine.

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
s**t too bad it still doesnt have the z1, 45-50mpg for the win

can he not grab a the plugs from a 4 wire o2 setup, wire them in and run it that way with the p28?

serversurfer

Thanks, Ron. The VIN comes back as a CX, which had the D15B8. I assume its wiring harness as the same as the D15Z1?

So to sum up, I'm not running an oxygen sensor due to incompatible wiring, but I should be running one because if I do, my mileage may get better or worse, and running one requires buying another wiring harness and figuring out how to hook it up. (Or can I just nab a plug and splice it on to the LAF wire, as FAITHhasME suggests?)

Hmm. This fruit is not hanging quite as low as I'd estimated, nor is it quite as ripe as it initially seemed. What else am I missing by having the wrong harness? Will a "standard" sensor fit in that hole, or do I need a new manifold too? Do I need a new manifold anyway?

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
you dont need a new manifold, the one you have looks to have a plug in it for a o2 sensor anyway

the z1 and b8 do not have the same harness, b8 isnt vtec and z1 is the high mpg "3 stage" vtec BS, so its wired for vtec and the LAF. Someone may have just used the VX harness since its close enough to run a z6 but couldnt run a front o2 because of the different plugs. Or they had the wrong manifold and didnt bother to pull the o2 bung out and run an o2 sensor

sorry to say it but it looks like you bought a half assed swapped car

RonJ

Banned
can he not grab a the plugs from a 4 wire o2 setup, wire them in and run it that way with the p28?
This can be done, assuming that the mismatched wire harness isn't causing other problems. It may be best in the end to just install the proper wire harness. Cutting and splicing wires will be problematic if not done correctly, especially for O2 sensor wires.

serversurfer

sorry to say it but it looks like you bought a half assed swapped car
lol Oh, I know. I bought it because it was $900 and it ran, and then I put about $250 worth of parts in to it just getting it to pass safety. Now I've got a laundry list of things that need to be done, prioritized by benefit and cost. Replacing the oxygen sensor seemed cheap and easy. Replacing a wiring harness sounds expensive and hard. :P

Just to be clear, I'm looking for part 12 on this page? Are there any other harnesses I need?

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
jesus, do not pay that much for a harness

join honda-tech marketplace and buy one for 50 bucks