engine swap confusion

schultz9008

I have a 1997 Honda civic ex and the motor is bad and I was wandering if I should do a swap for a diff engine or just rebuild the one I have...i aldo was wandering about how much it would cost to do an auto to mani tranny swap...what would be the cheapest route regarding a swap...i have about 2k to play with...do you think is be able to do the engine swap and auto to mani tranny able to happen in the price range

sikswic

Black Caulk or White?
This might help a little...

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=196671

Also i believe your engine is a d16y8, so just swapping the same engine in would be cheaper. If you swapped any other motor in, for example a b16 or any other dohc, then you would need an engine harness, ecu, if youre swapping auto to manual then you would need the shift linkage and tranny. Then you can either scrap your old engine or bore and rebuild it.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Make sure you get the correct engine, if you go with a stock replacement. The D16Y8 came in several flavors. The 96-98 did not have the air injection as the 99-00 did. Also, on manuals, the IACV is on the back of the IM, while the autos had it on the TB. So if you plan to do a manual conversion, get the manual version for the 96-98 (make sure your IACV is on the back of the IM, and you should be good. The D16Y8's can be had for a decent price, should leave you plenty of room for a manual conversion.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:welcome: to ClubCivic!

Please take some time to search the tech forums before posting. There's plenty of information available, you just gotta search first :lol:

For your auto to manual swap if you choose to do so:
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=157624

I did my auto to manual swap for about ~$800, and picked up a complete B18 motor for $1100. With $2k, you should be able to accomplish both, especially if you stick with a D16