Engine takes along time to heat up good or bad???

Discussion in 'Engine Tech / Drivetrain' started by spidersilva, Oct 8, 2011.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. spidersilva

spidersilva New Member

I started my car and drove around and was flooring it too for about 8min and the temperature was still cold, it didn't even move. My fan was off too. I know the thermostat could be stuck open but after about 12min the temperature needle went up a little bit. The farthest I've seen it up was 1/4 when 2/4 being half. What could go wrong if I keep driving like this without fixing it? Heard that the oil needs to be warmed up to have the engine run properly.

2. treeafodo

treeafodo Austin Registered VIP

First of all was it cold outside? This has a huge factor...

3. replicator

replicator New Member

Visually inspect the thermostat, and see if it's stuck in open position. Might need to replace :twisted:

4. Kensai

Kensai ♪♫♪♫♪~ Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

The thermostat is meant to stay closed so that the car warms up faster, and open when it starts to reach operating temperature.

If it is stuck open, your car will take a longer time to get up to operating temperature..

5. spidersilva

spidersilva New Member

it was cold but not that cold and you said it's a major factor, what will happen? I mean what will happen if i continue to drive with the thermostat stuck open?

6. Kensai

Kensai ♪♫♪♫♪~ Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

Seriously? Just replace it, its like $20 lol.

Make sure you verify that it is stuck open first though, check if the coolant is circulating by feeling the upper radiator hose when the car is cold.

7. spidersilva

spidersilva New Member

I'm not talking about fixing it, i'm saying what will happen if I don't.

8. Hendo

Hendo Sporting Lunatic Fringe Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

Warm oil lubricates better. Premature engine wear, if it doesn't get up to full temp over short trips you get s**t building up in your motor etc etc. Seriously dude. Spend $12 and take the three tiny bolts out and replace it. Don't be lazy, treat it right and it'll treat YOU right.

9. spidersilva

spidersilva New Member

finally somebody tells me what will happen, that's all i wanted, thanks man

10. Hendo

Hendo Sporting Lunatic Fringe Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

Yes, there IS a good reason you should replace it if it's stuck open. That's why small motors tend to last a long time, they get up to operating temp very quickly and most people do lots of short trips.