For California Drivers

CivicDX94

5+ Year Member
Somebody told me that it is illegal in California to change the OEM parts of your engine for aftermarket parts (i.e. intake, header, muffler, etc.) and that if I decided to change any parts that I would either need to remove them before the smoke check, or get California Air Review Board (CARB) approved parts. Where can I get CARB approved parts?

racerx661

certified pervert
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
most good quality parts are carb legal already...but u pay the price for them...as long as u can pass a visual inspection and pass smog....u wont have any problems

latinochino

Jersey's Finests Cuban
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey is absolutly correct. I have to by all carb approved parts. Bacially all named brand product. Like AEM, DC SPORTS, GREDDY, ECT....

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
actualy.. carb legal or not.. a LOT of states have additional laws regarding modifying your car.. an example would be.. an exhaust that is carb legal... what that means is the exhaust does not alter your cars emmisions in a way that would prevent you from passing inspection.. carb legal deal mostly as far as im aware air quality.. this same exhaust COULD be loud enough to violate local noise laws. so you COULD get a ticket for a carb approved exhaust.. it COULD happen...

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
california f**kin sucks, plain and simple

exahust does NOT have to be carb legal. Anything from the cat back is ok.

Anything in the engine bay however must be carb approved. Personally i just put all the stock stuff back on when i have to go back in for smog.

After this year i will never have to smog my car again because im moving to eureka, ca where they dont have smog.

x007den

New User
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
as has alread been mentioned, when talking about muffler and such u need to worry about noise, not whther its carb legal or not. if you get cited for an excessively loud muffler u have the opportunity to get it tested and possibly pass the sound test.

Rubixcu7

Not Fittin In...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
most exhaust tickets are not fixable...

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i got my car smogged a month ago and i passed under a d16 spec easily =)

em2civic

5+ Year Member
just got a state ref ticket and yes if you have a loud exhaust it is not a fix it ticket and they will send you to the state ref. Not unless you can provide statement from the manufacture that the exhaust does pass the decible test and is carb legal. Ticket will cost approx........ 400 bucks....

efurself

5+ Year Member
how loud is your exhaust because i found that. "Existing law gives a court discretion to dismiss a prosecution for
violating vehicular noise level restrictions if it finds that both
of the following conditions existed: (1) the vehicle was equipped
with an exhaust system meeting regulations (95 db) adopted by the
commissioner and (2) the defendant had reasonable grounds to believe
that the exhaust system was in good working order and that the
vehicle was not operated in violation of applicable noise
restrictions." if it helps?

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well despite my earlier post from 3 years ago

i was ticketed in feb 08 in my old 96 integra for the following

modified exhaust
intake with no carb (which was found as a result of the exhaust, badgering, and an illegal search since the exhaust was later determined to be legal)
front tinted windows
no front plate

at the time i had enough bs to deal with because my back window had shattered a week earlier so i was out $200 on that then had to pay $38 for a smog and get my tix signed off which was another 10 after my exhaust was determined to be legit

not suprisingly i decided to get out the scene a little bit after that.

jokenfu

Adobo Powered Pinoy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
actualy.. carb legal or not.. a LOT of states have additional laws regarding modifying your car.. an example would be.. an exhaust that is carb legal... what that means is the exhaust does not alter your cars emmisions in a way that would prevent you from passing inspection.. carb legal deal mostly as far as im aware air quality.. this same exhaust COULD be loud enough to violate local noise laws. so you COULD get a ticket for a carb approved exhaust.. it COULD happen...
what he means to say is, you have to buy C.A.R.B. legal products in California to support the GOVT and the rich. there is no difference between a joe shmo intake system or header and the name brand DOT approved products but the sticker itself. so why do you think that??? ummm MONEY talks.

jokenfu

Adobo Powered Pinoy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well despite my earlier post from 3 years ago

i was ticketed in feb 08 in my old 96 integra for the following

modified exhaust
intake with no carb (which was found as a result of the exhaust, badgering, and an illegal search since the exhaust was later determined to be legal)
front tinted windows
no front plate

at the time i had enough bs to deal with because my back window had shattered a week earlier so i was out $200 on that then had to pay $38 for a smog and get my tix signed off which was another 10 after my exhaust was determined to be legit

not suprisingly i decided to get out the scene a little bit after that.
Melt, YOU AND ME BOTH!!!
lol...so what's the difference between an imports "loud exhaust" vs a muscle's cars ??? they're actually louder.

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
im glad i live as far away from ca as i can...

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
another thing i noticed is that i didnt end up moving to eureka like my 05 post says ... i seriously hope to be out of CA by 09 though.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Melt, YOU AND ME BOTH!!!
lol...so what's the difference between an imports "loud exhaust" vs a muscle's cars ??? they're actually louder.
You can usually hear a imports exhaust farther away then a muscle cars, muscle cars aren't high pitched they have more bass, imports have more treble. Usually you can hear a muscle cars exhaust from far away is when it's straight pipe or open headers, or possibly a bypass system.

If you want to get into "loud exhaust" what about motorcycles?

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
motorcycles are exempt because harley told california that they were not going to make some bullshit CA motorcycle, becuase most of theirs exceed 95 db from the factory