For Experts: my boosted car is over heating

D16Y6

5+ Year Member
hi buddies,

recently I have replaced my pistons with vitara pistons and all build is completed with turbo.

while driving car normal driving the heat guage is normal even in long drive.

but when I rev my car for racing the gague start rising until reach H. then I drive back to the normal but the guage meter still up between middle and H. for no reason while car in parking or driving the guage is playing up and down!!

I have replaced the radiator cap, adding thermostat and still the problem is there. I noticed somthing that might give you hint to help me, after reving and guage playing the extra bottle of the radiator is start filling up excceding the Max line !!!!!
is that means the head pressure is leaking? do I need to tighting the head more? or the guage is not working properly? (I replaced guages sensor+thermo sensor with same problem)

this is last problem before my ride will be in streets offically, I need your help guys

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
did you burp your radiator? You may have an air bubble.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
when going boost, you should upgrade to a dual core radiator and use a good fan. the OE radiator and fan cannot keep up with the extra heat caused by the turbo.

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
when going boost, you should upgrade to a dual core radiator and use a good fan. the OE radiator and fan cannot keep up with the extra heat caused by the turbo.
I actually downgraded to a single core on my turbo D but I wasn't running vitara pistons with a high hp output.

that may be the problem tho Eso!

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i bet i know the answer...

did you use OEM head bolts? more specifically, did you re-use your old headbolts?

if yes to either of those, your probably gettng head lift. try switching to ARP head studs.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it could be everything mentioned above, but i would start with flushing ur cooling system. an air bubble will cause this..

i highly doubt its the fan and radiator, and that would be the last thing i would check...

did u use the same headgasket?

D16Y6

5+ Year Member
radiator already upgraded to dual core, the fan is remaining

D16Y6

5+ Year Member

did you use OEM head bolts? more specifically, did you re-use your old headbolts?

if yes to either of those, your probably gettng head lift. try switching to ARP head studs.
yes I reused head bolts.

it could be everything mentioned above, but i would start with flushing ur cooling system. an air bubble will cause this..

i highly doubt its the fan and radiator, and that would be the last thing i would check...

did u use the same headgasket?

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
open the cap slowly and let the pressure bleed off...

then take the cap all the way off..

make sure to wear gloves and eye protection and turn ur head away when taking the cap off..

then grab the radiator hose and squeeze and release..
repeat this. if u have a bubble, u may have to add some coolant...

slowhatch

torque?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Did you torque the head down in the correct pattern?
What did you torque the nuts to?

EDIT: Get a set of ARP head studs. Problem fixed... The stockers stretch when they get torqued so they're only good once maybe twice

Post some pics! its nice to see more and more vitara guys on the streets

AE Motoring

5+ Year Member
try doing the coolant first, i have had the same problem in the past a long time ago. redid the coolant, made sure all the bubbles were out, was good to go.

D16Y6

5+ Year Member
open the cap slowly and let the pressure bleed off...

then take the cap all the way off..

make sure to wear gloves and eye protection and turn ur head away when taking the cap off..

then grab the radiator hose and squeeze and release..
repeat this. if u have a bubble, u may have to add some coolant...
you mean I do this process while the engin is hot ?
then taking out the bubbles from the lines and fill it with coolant completly.

If I did all that and test my car and overheated and the extra radiator bottle started to fill full this mean there is pressure leak from the head gasket? correct?

D16Y6

5+ Year Member
Did you torque the head down in the correct pattern?
What did you torque the nuts to?

EDIT: Get a set of ARP head studs. Problem fixed... The stockers stretch when they get torqued so they're only good once maybe twice

Post some pics! its nice to see more and more vitara guys on the streets
no, they just tighted the head studs with normal wracher, without tourq range

do I need to replace the studs with ARP set and then tight it more with extra correct tourq?

after solving my problems I will post pics and also videos, help me pass this problem first

D16Y6

5+ Year Member
try doing the coolant first, i have had the same problem in the past a long time ago. redid the coolant, made sure all the bubbles were out, was good to go.
defintly I will do, then I will come back with the results

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

trust me, this will fix your problem.

slowhatch

torque?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
no, they just tighted the head studs with normal wracher, without tourq range

do I need to replace the studs with ARP set and then tight it more with extra correct tourq?
Yes!

after solving my problems I will post pics and also videos, help me pass this problem first
In the mean time loosen all the nuts and torque them in sequence and with a torque wrench.

Gonzo

Tin Foil Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i too have a vitara build and i just spent the last year and a half dealing with overheating problems. So my advice is to get ARPs and torque down using the correct pattern and torque them to 75-80 ft/lbs. ARP is going to tell you to do it at 60 but that s**t is too low. I blew 3 headgaskets at 60 and havent had a problem at 80.