Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:thumbs up lookin good

enycesam

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Looks real good. I just picked up another set of meshies in gunmetal.

Bruckhoff_34

Built not baught
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm really impressed with how well they turned out. The clear looks really good! Not dull like some other spray can clear coats.

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Duplicolor FTW.

Next project is purple brake calipers to match my Tanabe coilovers.

ryanM

not bad, almost exactly how i went about painting my old beater hx wheels, except instead of sanding them i sandblasted mine..

LowNotSlow

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Did you do any sanding/buffing after the clear? Looks great!
No sanding or buffing that's just how the clear came out. Smoooooth as glass.

Prep work at the beginning > prep work at the end.

biggbird72

MaD JdM TyTe yO!
5+ Year Member
No sanding or buffing that's just how the clear came out. Smoooooth as glass.

Prep work at the beginning > prep work at the end.
Absolutely! I've done a few sets myself but I was weary of using the Duplicolor clear so I just took mine down to get professional clear coat. However, it seems that a fair amount of prep work turns out great. What was your sanding progression?

I started with 800, then went to 1200 then 3000, but I used a small amount primer before I applied my paint. . Plus I wetsanded and buffed after clear coat. I do like the way yours turned out and I'd rather do it all myself. I'd love to know your squence of sanding and any other info.

Very nice work.

defvayne

Set This World On Blaze!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Absolutely! I've done a few sets myself but I was weary of using the Duplicolor clear so I just took mine down to get professional clear coat. However, it seems that a fair amount of prep work turns out great. What was your sanding progression?

I started with 800, then went to 1200 then 3000, but I used a small amount primer before I applied my paint. . Plus I wetsanded and buffed after clear coat. I do like the way yours turned out and I'd rather do it all myself. I'd love to know your squence of sanding and any other info.

Very nice work.
I have the same question. Mine are pretty beat up due to previous owner and my fault. But i want to know what process you followed when sanding. Did you paint the inside of the rim?

eskateboarding7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
what i want to know is how well does the paint hold up after being mounted and rotated all the time? Does it get f**ked up?

Jimmy2times

White, middle-class
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
idk mine did and i used duplicolor. it depends on ur prep work and how often u drive on em.

LowNotSlow

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Any paint is going to get f**ked up eventually. This stuff is supposed to handle the brake dust and stuff better but I know it's only a matter of time before it has to happen over again.

Progression went like this:
All wet sanded btw

That's it. For sanding. Don't want to make it too too smooth (1500 is too high) or you're just reducing the mechanical grip of the paint. 600 won't show scratches through the paint but still keeps things smooth. 3000 you might as well be doing a polished surface at that point.

After that it was 4-5 coats primer, 5-6 coats paint, 4-5 coats clear. 10 minutes between each spray. I also did the painting indoors in an area with an air filter to keep dust to a minimum.

I sent pics to Duplicolor and they might use it on their website for a success story.

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i just did the same thing with my blades. i used the duplicolor as well, just didnt do near a nice of a job as you did.

biggbird72

MaD JdM TyTe yO!
5+ Year Member
Any paint is going to get f**ked up eventually. This stuff is supposed to handle the brake dust and stuff better but I know it's only a matter of time before it has to happen over again.

Progression went like this:
All wet sanded btw

That's it. For sanding. Don't want to make it too too smooth (1500 is too high) or you're just reducing the mechanical grip of the paint. 600 won't show scratches through the paint but still keeps things smooth. 3000 you might as well be doing a polished surface at that point.

After that it was 4-5 coats primer, 5-6 coats paint, 4-5 coats clear. 10 minutes between each spray. I also did the painting indoors in an area with an air filter to keep dust to a minimum.

I sent pics to Duplicolor and they might use it on their website for a success story.

Man that would be sweet if Duplicolor did that.

And yeah on the 3000 I used it to wet sand and buff my clear. But I will use your progression next time. Did you sand between coats or just progressed up to 600 and started painting? Thanks.
Again, good job.

Last edited: