Handgun...

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
MR99si said:
What made you compare a security six to a python? The python is the rolls royce of wheel guns and the security six is like the geo metro of wheel guns..
meh :what: just an example. I didn't suggest an RG at least!

The Security Six is a dead reliable revolver and much stronger than the K-framed S&W which are about the same size.

Teh Python is dead sexy though.

MR99si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Beelzebubba said:
Teh Python is dead sexy though.
Yes they are!

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
spook4thecia said:
People who choose standard military rounds tend to be idiots. Case in point: the 5.56. It sucks. SF operators in the sandbox are requesting or or acquiring themselves M14's and other 7.62 rifles because the 5.56 just doesn't reach out and touch the bad guy. My ex-marine friend carried an AK on patrol in Iraq A- b/c it was more reliable, and B- b/c it fires 7.62.
and yet IMI still made the Tavor 5.56mm :what:

spook4thecia

Who Dat
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
MR99si said:
Normally the only time I carry is when I go somewhere with my wife & son, when I do this is what I normally have on me less the light if it's daytime. Wife carries a little lightweight 5 shot 38 special. A can of pepper spray is also good to have, check out this vid of a guy getting hosed with fox labs 5.3 milion SHU (same stuff I carry).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcqWdgZHik0

Surefire G2 FTW.
I'm about to order one. I've been meaning to but I've been so busy with school and work. I keep a BLACKHAWK! Gladius as my SHTF/home defense light and a Streamlight TLR-1 weapon light on my XD. But I need a general purpose, all the time light and the G2 fits the bill:thumbs up

Beelzebubba said:
and yet IMI still made the Tavor 5.56mm :what:
Well in a future U.S./Israeli war on the Mid East, us having the same round would make sense.

Today, if Umbrella Corporation decided to do an experiment in New Orleans metro area, I'd much rather have a Russian SKS, HK UMP(mmmm full auto .45 slugs), or an H&K 417(7.62 variant HK made AR--RELIABLE!!!)
http://www.hkpro.com/hk417.htm

But if I had my way, I'd make our next standard infantry rifle be chambered in 6.5mm Grendel.

Trbolvrcrx

Dude wheres my honda
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have an XD .45 tactical and looove it. I also have a JA380, and a mossburg 500 shotgun.

97civicracer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Trbolvrcrx said:
I have an XD .45 tactical and looove it..
Springfield Armory XD .45 ftw. Beats out the glock in many comparison tests and w/ .45 rounds you'll be stopping most people coming at you real quick.

Trbolvrcrx

Dude wheres my honda
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
97civicracer said:
Springfield Armory XD .45 ftw. Beats out the glock in many comparison tests and w/ .45 rounds you'll be stopping most people coming at you real quick.
:word:

Plus it is very light weight.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
spoke to a couple other law enforcement officers and they were pretty pro 40 caliber... so now im really on the fence between the 9mm and 40... at first i was dead set against the 40 due to mag capacity but i can overcome that by just getting a larger magazine..

so is the fire power behind a 40 cal that much better than a 9mm..

thanks for all the input .. just to be clear im still heavily leaning towards a glock..

spook4thecia

Who Dat
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
oc_civic said:
spoke to a couple other law enforcement officers and they were pretty pro 40 caliber... so now im really on the fence between the 9mm and 40... at first i was dead set against the 40 due to mag capacity but i can overcome that by just getting a larger magazine..

thanks for all the input .. just to be clear im still heavily leaning towards a glock..
.40's a good caliber. I was gona get a .40 because 1. there really isn't a reason to get a 9 except for more shooting between reloads while at the range, and ammo is somewhat cheaper(but if you shoot heavy, you should just reload anyway) and 2. I thought (like the masses) that .45 was this massive unwieldy round.

Most real shooters agree that the .40 can actually be more unwieldy do to it's snappy-ness where as a .45 is more of a "push."

.40S&W is a good round. Purists will say "It's a compromise round and there should be no compromise in self defense" while there is some credence to this, the .40 is a vicious caliber, carried by the FBI if that counts for anything. I just don't see a reason for a 9mm to be a main home defense weapon.

Interesting read:9mm vs. .45(link)

an LEO forum said:
It's all about 2 factors. Shot Placement, and Trauma. 99% of the time, if you shoot the BG in the right place, that's the end...HOWEVER... add in stress, adrenaline, fear, xcitement, and all of the other little factors, coupled with the reluctance of many agencies to properly train, and you see why our hit ratio in combat (LEO's) is as statistically dismal as it is.

TRauma. Small, light High-velocity Bullet V Big, Heavy, Slow bullet.. Big, heavy and Slow Wins IMO. the idea is to disrupt his system as much as possible to shut him down NOW. IMO this is best done by punching Large, Messy, open holes to let his insides become Outsides, and to distract him from attempting to do the same to my own tender, pink (and rather cute ) dermis. People say that "Stopping Power" is a Myth..and if you look at in the way it has been protrayed by some, they're right, it is..or is it, if you shoott he BG with one (or even 2 or 3) 9mm's and DONT hit him in an instantly fatal spot, will he still be able to bring the fight to you. Conversely if you do the same with a couple of .45 ACp's, that are going to tear him up, and boost him into shock more quickly, will that be more likely to "Stop" him from engaging further??

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
truth be told.. ive never been shot.. but i am still not %100 sold on an intruder getting hit 3 out of 16 shots with something even as basic as a 9mm and have him still aggresively coming at you... i mean the big picture.. here he is 3AM expectng to just walk in and rob me.. getting met with a hail of gunfire.. several of those rounds now burried in him.. dont you think that would take the fight out of him... i mean i could be totally wrong.. my BIGEEST concern is the ability for my wife to use this weapon confidently... i mean the reality is i could get a 44magnum...... or whatever "big" round you want to put in there.. but i DONT want to overpower my wife.. her ability to hit what she is shooting at is KEY..

Jmoto911

Built, not bought.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
There was a guy who was trippin balls and got shot 11 times (back when they used 9mm) and kept coming at my dad and his partner for 20 mins before his high wore off and he dropped dead. So, yes.. bigger caliber is more stopping power. A 9mm just doesn't have the "drop you on your ass because you have a fat ass hole in your body" capacity... where a .40 and .45 will

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
and i completely understand what your saying OC...it would be like me when i was 13 shooting a .357 out in the desert...too much for me to pull off multiple accurate shots in a short period of time...thats why i want a .40 next year

MR99si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
97civicracer said:
Please post these tests, would like to read them. It's not tougher, it's not more reliable, the only thing it has that a glock doesn't is a safety! The finish on glocks (tennifer) is tougher and much better looking too.

MR99si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oc_civic said:

Not really a big difference, the pros of a 9mm are less recoil, faster follow up shots, normally better accuracy due to less recoil, normally higher mag capacity, ammo is much cheaper for practice ect. Get a glock in 9mm and load it with a quality HP and you'll have no worries! People get to crazy over this kinda stuff, give me a 9mm glock and I'll drop any human with a few shots center mass. Just look @ the Virgina tech shooting, I beleive that crazy little azzhole was using a 9mm and it seemed pretty effective.

A good friend of mine (stationed @ ft. lewis army base) used his 9mm service pistol on a couple occasions in Iraq and was amazed @ the effectiveness (this was with ball/fmj ammo). Go to a range and rent a few guns (to see what fits you best) may be a glock or something else never know. Whatever you do get know that shot placement is critical, practice practice practice!

http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammunition/corbon_1209/

Very good site: http://www.brassfetcher.com/

spook4thecia

Who Dat
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
oc_civic said:
my BIGEEST concern is the ability for my wife to use this weapon confidently... i mean the reality is i could get a 44magnum...... or whatever "big" round you want to put in there.. but i DONT want to overpower my wife.. her ability to hit what she is shooting at is KEY..
I'm telling you, .45 doesn't have that much kick. I'm not a big guy at all. I never work out, well arms or chest anyway. I'm not some hardass, I would tell you straight up if it kicked alot. I don't feel like I have to prove my manhood or anything like that. It just doesn't kick that much. The OMG .45's are a hand cannon is one of the biggest gun myths out there. The difference b/w 9mm and .45 is less than the difference between .223(5.56) and a .308(7.62) IMO. I was actually afraid of .45....untill I shot one that fit my hand... then I was like all that hype is ridiculous. I find .40's to be harder to control because it's so snappy.

MR99si said:
Please post these tests, would like to read them. It's not tougher, it's not more reliable, the only thing it has that a glock doesn't is a safety! The finish on glocks (tennifer) is tougher and much better looking too.
Not tougher? could be right. But as a strictly home defense gun, it probably won't be frozen, etc. But the XD has passed these tests as well... Not more reliable? your opinion... but it is a very reliable weapon..as are Glocks. And all new XD's come with a finish that is very similar to the tennifer finish. It's rugged enough. And a lot of people have their's GunKote'd anyway. Can't wait to get my slide done in Coyote Tan:yummy: :yummy:

SiGSR said:
At his end notes, he suggests...

"I would err on the side of the largest diameter, hardest kicking handgun that I could shoot safely and effectively as my choice for self-defense."

http://www.brassfetcher.com/FAQ.html
:thumbs up

Trbolvrcrx

Dude wheres my honda
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have shot a springfeild 1911 .45 and it kicks alot harder than my XD. But the 1911 didnt kick that hard, the XD is an very light recoil. Plus if someone gets up after being shot from a .45 dang better get out the shotgun.

MR99si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
SiGSR said:
At his end notes, he suggests...

"I would err on the side of the largest diameter, hardest kicking handgun that I could shoot safely and effectively as my choice for self-defense."

http://www.brassfetcher.com/FAQ.html

For the vast majority out there 9mm & 40 are their limits, would a desert eagle 44 mag provide an awesome amount of stopping power yes however wouldn't be to practical! OC if you do go with a larger cal glock you might wanna consider one that is factory ported, this will cut down on muzzle flip! I do beleive OC is trying to decide between a 9mm & a 40 s&w (not some hand cannon)! :lol:

I use to carry this, a kimber custom 45 that was tuned by kimbers custom shop. This gun is so reliable I can load the mag with empty brass and cycle them one @ a time without jamming! Not a very pratical carry gun though, weighs a ton!!

BTW I am certified in:

OC,CS,ASP.

Certified Armorer: glock

State certified range master, NRA certified shooting instructor

Worked part time @ a family owned gun shop for three years, have been instructing defense type classes part time for not quite five years and have been shooting and reloading for 22 years.

MP in the Marines

Degree in Criminal Justice

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah obviously a slug in a 12 gauge... or a 30-06 round to the face would be effective.. but not reasonable.. my wife can not reliably shoot a 357 imo... so thats where the 9mm came from.. my only thought now is can she handle a 40 cal.. if so then that really should be my choice... but if i go with a 9mm i wont feel as if im settling.. i will feel that it is the best gun for my situation and criteria... as long as i make the choice on real application... and not some ego mocho having the biggest or baddest.. i feel it will be the right choice.. i guess what it comes down to is biggest cal my wife can handle efficiently ..