Hazy headlight restoration results

zammykoo

caffeinated
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hey all, just want to share some headlight restoration results pics. I wish I documented the restoration process but I didn't have much time and had to rush to get it done.

I'll tell you this is a hell of a lot better than before. The hazing was probably worse than what you've ever seen. This is because I tried to restore it a few years ago and the clear coat I used wasn't made for high-temp (I think) so it turned yellow and got super oxidized to the point where you can scrape the oxidation with your nail. Looked real nasty.

It did take a lots and lots of sanding by hand cause I didn't have the tools so my arms were sore for the next couple days. I bought a kit and used the sealer at the end of the process to keep it from hazing again. If it does then thats ok, it has a lifetime guarantee.

Enjoy.

[After shots]

ibemike

5+ Year Member
Looks fresh. I need to do my headlights as well.

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
looks good. wish you had "before" shots

Ej8Kid

Too Much Traction
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Wow, each time I did mine it would return hazy the very next day.

zammykoo

caffeinated
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thanks guys, yeah it surprised me how well it turned out. i was skeptical of the restoration kit (still a bit about how long it'll last) but its been about a couple weeks now and no hazing at all.

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
what products did you use?

zammykoo

caffeinated
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
what products did you use?
This is the kit I used, it looks like a no-name brand and is packaged in a foil bag

Crystal View - Headlight Restorer

I got it for about $20 at a local advance auto parts, but other auto parts stores may carry it.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I may pick that up and try it. I've tried wet sanding, etc before.. and turned out terrible. They're starting to peel too, but maybe this will work.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
they look great! I always touch up mine with some McGuire;s metal polish and some elbow grease.

yamaharider324

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I did mine about a year ago and need to re do them again. They are starting to haze up but not nearly as bad as they were.

zammykoo

caffeinated
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah, this kit claims to last the life of the vehicle... no need for touching up! :D

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
may i ask exactly what the sealer is? is it a paste or is it a clear film that you apply or what. i used the 3m kit and it worked real good but after 5 months the haze has returned

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have learned that there is no permanent headlight restoration. No matter what product you use, it will degrade again. I dont know if the headlights have a special coat or what, cuz once I restored my headlights, in a matter of months it turned yellow. I used several products and nothing works.

what is this SEALANT you used for your headlights?

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
oh yeah, a before pictures will help out. Also, pictures are deceiving. when i restored mine, they look like new in pictures, however they were not 100% clear. it was more like 90-95% clear. Im buying after market headlights now. at least they will last a year or two.

zammykoo

caffeinated
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
may i ask exactly what the sealer is? is it a paste or is it a clear film that you apply or what. i used the 3m kit and it worked real good but after 5 months the haze has returned
the mystery sealer that came in my kit was a very liquidy, but dries really quick after applying with the provided towel/cloth

I have learned that there is no permanent headlight restoration. No matter what product you use, it will degrade again. I dont know if the headlights have a special coat or what, cuz once I restored my headlights, in a matter of months it turned yellow. I used several products and nothing works.

what is this SEALANT you used for your headlights?
i'm not sure what exactly are the ingredients of the sealant, but as stated above it is liquidy, almost like uncarbonated sugar/soda water that gets tacky quick and dries

can you tell me what kind of kits you've tried? and what kind of sealant were used?

oh yeah, a before pictures will help out. Also, pictures are deceiving. when i restored mine, they look like new in pictures, however they were not 100% clear. it was more like 90-95% clear. Im buying after market headlights now. at least they will last a year or two.
the pics are actually very close to the real deal, i took them with my dslr. you can actually spot the fine scratches in the pic, especially the rough area near the blue bulb.

yeah i really wish i had before pics.....

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oh wow. you did a real good job. Do you mind posting any before pictures if any are avaliable?

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
sounds to me like its a liquid wax that dries on then you buff it off? i dont think many kits come with a sealant

zammykoo

caffeinated
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
oh wow. you did a real good job. Do you mind posting any before pictures if any are avaliable?
thanks, but unfortunately i don't have before pics, i'll tell you they looked worse than what you've seen on this forum

sounds to me like its a liquid wax that dries on then you buff it off? i dont think many kits come with a sealant
its definately not wax, you don't buff this stuff after its applied. it acts as a clear coat that you wipe on, not sprayed