high idle, low idle, high idle, low idle....

jkcivic

5+ Year Member
ok so i have a low idle sometimes (300 rpms) and then i have a high idle (1500 rpms) when i start the car. it varies from time to time. i have read up and thought it was the iacv but nope not the problem. the car ran perfectly fine for over a year now until now. wtf is the problem. please help. also the car is running very very rich. no check engine lights btw.

whtcivic93

www.mm-graphics.net
Does it surge, or does it just idle low somtetimes, and high others?

jkcivic

5+ Year Member
just idles high or low depending on its mood. doesnt change at all. doesnt drop, doesnt raise up. just stays at that steady idle.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mine does the same thing. Cold engine car starts and goes up to around 2k (kinda high even for cold start)..

When it's warm, I can be at a stop light and idle at 850-900 like normal. The VERY next light I could be idling at 1100-1200 or so. I've even seen it idle as low as 500 at one point too.

RonJ

Banned
1) Is the coolant level low? Regardless, bleed the cooling system of possible trapped air.

2) Check for an intake air or vacuum leak. For example, with the air intake removed, does covering the top of the throttle body with your hand kill an idling engine?

jkcivic

5+ Year Member
im takn it to my local honda mechanic tomorrow to take a look at it. ALSO a nether question... is 94-01 gsr brake pads the same?????? i bought my car with gsr rear brakes already on them and i dont know what year they are to put new pads on them.....

4wd eg6

5+ Year Member
im takn it to my local honda mechanic tomorrow to take a look at it. ALSO a nether question... is 94-01 gsr brake pads the same?????? i bought my car with gsr rear brakes already on them and i dont know what year they are to put new pads on them.....
any 94-01 rear pads are the same just the type r are different.