How To: City Lights Wiring (5th gen shown)

Status
Not open for further replies.

one6

Shorts and Sandals FTW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
DYI: City Lights into 5th Gen

*Someone please sticky this and move it to it's appropriate place thanks.
After multiple questions and requests I decided to write a walkthrough on how to install City Lights into your 5th gen Civic. Enjoy! ;)

**Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage caused to your vehicle by installing the following mod. By reading the following you agree that it is indeed you who are responsible for your actions. This worked for me, and worked great. This may or may not work for you, I’ve only done this to my car. I can not and will not be held accountable for anything you damage to your vehicle. **

What you need:
Wire taps
Female wire connectors (your wire taps may already come with some)
16 gauge wire (your choice of color, I went with Red (power) and Black (ground).
Wire crimpers
Gauged wire stripper
(optional) tube of dielectric tune up grease

*Most of this can be found at your local auto parts store (wire crimpers and gauged wire stripper can be found at RadioShack).

Step 1: Prep wires

Strip the ends of your city lights so that you may be able to crimp them onto the female wire connectors.

With the 16 gauge wire you bought, lengthen (I’m assuming you know how to do this) the city light wires by about 4 to 8 inches.

Strip the end of the 16 gauge wire.

Step 2: Crimp

Crimp female wire connectors onto the ends of the city light wires.

**(optional) cover ends with some dielectric tune up grease before crimping (this will weatherproof your connection and prevent arcing).

Step 3: Power Tap

Here’s where you need to pay close attention. Look at the wires that go into your turn signal bulb. They should be Red, Black, and Green.

Red=Switch
Black=Ground
Green=Turn Signal

Tap into the Red wire (switch). This is where your city lights will draw their power from. That way whenever you turn on your parking lights, they will power up.

Step 4: Ground Tap

Here’s where it gets tricky. In order to wire up your city lights so that they turn off with your headlights, you need to ground them to your headlight power. This will act as a false ground (double positive) and break the circuit when you turn on your headlights (and act as a ground when your headlights are off).
Finding it was tricky. This is how my car works (yours may be different (I don’t know). Your headlights should have a female plug with 3 holes that plug into your headlights. Trace the wires back until you can distinguish three different colors.

*If you can’t find the colors, I believe the top one is the headlight power.*

Red with a White or Yellow line (low beam power)
Red with a Blue line (high beam power)
Black (ground)

*If you can’t find the colors, I believe the top one is the headlight power.*

Tap into your low beam power so that you draw power from them when you turn your headlights on.

Step 5: Plug and enjoy

Insert the female wire connector into the wire tap.

(Optional: squirt some dielectric tune up grease into the female wire conectors. This will not only weatherproof your connection, it will also make it easier to remove in the event that you need to remove your city lights.)

Step 6: Enjoy your City Lights

You should now be finished. Pat yourself on the back for a job well done. Turn on your parking brakes and check them out. Your City Lights should light up along with your corners (parking lights).

Now turn on your headlights, your city lights should power off.

There you have it. I hope I didn’t miss anything (I did this a couple of months ago and regurgitated this mostly from memory). If you have any questions please feel free to ask (it's why I joined this forum).

-Adrian

one6

Shorts and Sandals FTW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
What they look like at night

Just a small teaser pic of last nights/this mornings photoshoot...

SiRcivic27

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks for the post, will have to try this when I get home! Hopefully it fixed my problem...

one6

Shorts and Sandals FTW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
EH2 GSR 7232 said:
Excelent DIY and very helpful pictures. :thumbs up :thumbs up :thumbs up
Thanks ;)

SiRcivic27 said:
Thanks for the post, will have to try this when I get home! Hopefully it fixed my problem...
Let me know how it turns out.

kangaroo

..........UPS.........
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
that looks hella good.!!!!
props to you

one6

Shorts and Sandals FTW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

civic_tj

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
do they stay off with your high beams on as well since you tapped into your low beams for your double posative?

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
they look sick man...great write up..!!

ShinsenTuner

CC's Youngest OG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
arent those old school Denji headlights?

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
that looks sick, but in your case it might have looked good if they stayed on with the headlight, just since its not in the same housing.

one6

Shorts and Sandals FTW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Genuine Rolla said:
they look sick man...great write up..!!
Thank you.
civic_tj said:
do they stay off with your high beams on as well since you tapped into your low beams for your double posative?
No, they flick back on (I haven't figured that one out yet)

ShinsenTuner said:
arent those old school Denji headlights?
Yes, they're the 2nd Gen projectors from back in the day. I picked them up for dirt cheap.
gearbox said:
that looks sick, but in your case it might have looked good if they stayed on with the headlight, just since its not in the same housing.
At the time I wasn't sure how I wanted them to look. I think the city lights lit up with the corners looks awesome.

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
for the hi beam, cant you double fake ground it to the hi beam wire too? it wont cause problem so long as the lo beam turns off when the hi beam comes on. if they both turn on together and you have it double grounded, you may have a small explosion

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
GREAT job moving to exterior archives... really good write up..

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hmm i put a city light in my hi beam reflector (far left), and i want them to turn off when the hi beams come on. the problem is all of my headlight harness wires are hot, so using that as a ground makes the light stay on all the time when nothing else is turned on...dont know what to do. its not a huge deal that they stay on except that the hi beam bulb heat is gonna kill the small bulb right next to it.

one6

Shorts and Sandals FTW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
How are they set up? I think if you power them from your low beams and ground them to your high beams they'll turn off when you use your high beams.

one6

Shorts and Sandals FTW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
gearbox said:
for the hi beam, cant you double fake ground it to the hi beam wire too? it wont cause problem so long as the lo beam turns off when the hi beam comes on. if they both turn on together and you have it double grounded, you may have a small explosion
I just this this post for the first time...sorry for the late response.

In theory it won't work. The minute you were to double ground it to the high beam, the city lights would never switch off. Electricity chooses the path with least resistance. They would power on with the corners (since that's where the powers coming from and since there's no power coming from either grounds). But when you flick on the low beams, they'd be grounded to the high beams (which isn't using any power therefore acting as ground) and the city lights would stay on. Same thing with the high beams except the other way around. Now it's kinda hard to aviod a small explosion with these since everytime I ficlk them on to high beam, for a split second you could see both lights working at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.