How To: Install an aftermarket steering wheel (Civic 92-95) EG's

crowcrack

5+ Year Member
car horn

=) hey nice tutorial!!!! it really helps actually i already install a aftermarket steering wheel but i did not put the quick release i put straight the hub the only one thing is i dont know where to connect the car horn i could not find where the connector is so please could you help me my car is a 98 civic please! really appreciate for the help thank you....

bimer108

5+ Year Member
thank you for sharing. Will definitely use it.

Janette

Installed aftermarket steering wheel, but the ticker!

Rude HB, hope you can help with a question regarding a recent Grant 3595 aftermarket steering wheel installation. I had the shop do it as I am not handy or know how to do it myself.

Thing is, once installed, now the turn signal light indicators will not shut off automatically once I make a turn and I have to shut it off manually like you would when changing lanes. :???: Is there a way to re-etablish the auto function of the turn signalers? The shop is very lackadaisical about finding out if there is a fix for this and isn't really interested in being helpful in this regard. I wondered if this is a common occurrence when changing from a stock steering wheel to an aftermarket one?

Hope you might have some suggestion, thanks. Jan

jwainb

5+ Year Member
My question is, is the srs light going to stay on because of the airbag removal?

mike nice

u no your info was helpful but u forgot to tell us u have to run a fresh wire from the horn into the car in order to connect your horn to the aftermarket wheel

mike nice

also will the passengers airbag still work if my srs light is on befor i put the wheel in or should i try to reset it like the post said or it doesnt matter cause it wont work any way cause of the aftermarket wheel

Daddy_Digital

Haters make me FAMOUS!
Registered VIP
good write up, but...

i REALLY REALLY REALLY hope you disconnected your battery first and waited at LEAST a half hour before you did this... if you didn't you are either really lucky or really dumb. the SRS system has a capacitor designed to allow the airbag to still be able to deploy in the even that the battery cable is severed in an accident. the capacitor can hold its charge for at least 15min after the battery is dissconnected. you are VERY lucky that the airbag didn't blow up in your face.

if anyone else needs to remove their airbag for ANY reason, PLEASE DISSCONNECT THE BATTERY AND WAIT AT LEAST A HALF HOUR BEFORE WORKING ON IT!
you can also pump on the brakes about 10 times to expend all the electrical charge in the electrical system. that should help.

ej8mike

awesome write up, doing mine after christmas,is this the same way to do a quick release for an ek also? also a horn wiring would be awesome too!

rkJDM

Anyone know what to do if you have cruise control with the buttons on the side of the steering wheel? Or do you just not use them any more?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
mm, Does this work with the 6th gens? 98 civic is what im trying to do it with.
Works with any car. Concept is the same. Disable the airbag, remove the airbag, undo the center bolt, pull the wheel, put the new hub on, and mount the new wheel to the hub.

swizz977

5+ Year Member
hey im having trouble with step 19 i got it unplugged but it wont come off how did u get it off???

swizz977

5+ Year Member
number 19 i have it unplugged like in the picture but that part with the blue thing around it the piece i need its attatched on something