How to make decent power without boost

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My buddies old set up with his B20v was 258hp. That was stock bore and under-cammed. Now he's getting it overbored with custom cams (equivalent to Stage 3s) and anticipates like 280ish?
thats awesome. what head was he running?

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
stock?
i hope to not have so many bills one day and be able to save up some money for a gsr on my b20 lol

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
stock?
i hope to not have so many bills one day and be able to save up some money for a gsr on my b20 lol
I believe it didn't go through any machining... but it was a built head.

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
This thread confuses me. Is money a problem or isn't it? Do you want to waste money or be logical about it? Why are you waiting till next year to turbo? Why build NA now, then turbo? How does wanting to learn the car yourself have anything to do with NA/Turbo/motor swap? All of those options will still teach you something. My head hurts trying to understand the logic here.

If you want to keep the motor you have now, but gain 30hp, I believe your answer was already given near the start of this thread.

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
This thread confuses me. Is money a problem or isn't it? Do you want to waste money or be logical about it? Why are you waiting till next year to turbo? Why build NA now, then turbo? How does wanting to learn the car yourself have anything to do with NA/Turbo/motor swap? All of those options will still teach you something. My head hurts trying to understand the logic here.

If you want to keep the motor you have now, but gain 30hp, I believe your answer was already given near the start of this thread.
There is no logic in this thread. Plain and simple, a 300hp NA B-Series is borderline track queen. That's not going to be practical as a DD at all. NA requires an assload of money and strain in order to make that much power, resulting in horrible gas mileage. A K-Series, however, is feasible (particularly a k20/24 frankenstein. I have a friend with one in a hatch, and he claims it's 300hp or so. I've never seen a dyno sheet, but it's fast). I agree with everyone else on pretty much everything. If you want to boost, save money and boost later. If you want NA, go with a K-series, and prepare to be broke. But since you live with mommy, doesn't seem like that's a problem..

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I say save your money to move out :what:

Girls don't like boys who live with their mommies. Just sayin.

SleepingSol

10sec dd or BUST
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The only motor that's gonna make close to 300hp na is a k series. End of story
You sir fail. What about a J series?

Anyway, a k series can do it. K24 block with 14:1 compression, ported head, cams, good race header, bigger injectors and fuel pump, and itbs.

sbinqnz718

EH9SVTEC
5+ Year Member
dont waste ur money on a k swap...just do a b20vtec swap..way cheaper den a K swap n youll get the same HP

jhar_EK

word
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i'd like to see that b20v swap then.....hell i'll put my k up beside