How to make decent power without boost

Just a honda!!

Registered VIP
dont waste ur money on a k swap...just do a b20vtec swap..way cheaper den a K swap n youll get the same HP
B20vs are prone to failure at high cr unless u sleeve or block gaurd them and even then its hard to make power u need good quality parts and a good port job wherea k with bolt ons can be upwards of 220

Sent from tapataalllkk

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
B20vs are prone to failure at high cr unless u sleeve or block gaurd them and even then its hard to make power u need good quality parts and a good port job wherea k with bolt ons can be upwards of 220

Sent from tapataalllkk
Is cr compression? Because compression has no effect on the sleeves... it's the high rev that gets it. B20 sleeves are known to be thinner, because they are obviously used in CRVs which aren't meant to rev high. You can have a built b20v on stock sleeves, but personally I would sleeve it for protective measures.

It's all just finding what parts work together the best and to have supporting internals. It definitely requires research and a good amount of spending. My buddy is doing a built 2 litre and it's going to end up being like over 5k. But this is getting sleeved by Benson, DD tech custom cams, full machining of the head....

Just a honda!!

Registered VIP
Actually most people run a high cr and have detonation which makes the thinner sleeves crack

Sent from tapataalllkk

Just a honda!!

Registered VIP
Is cr compression? Because compression has no effect on the sleeves... it's the high rev that gets it. B20 sleeves are known to be thinner, because they are obviously used in CRVs which aren't meant to rev high. You can have a built b20v on stock sleeves, but personally I would sleeve it for protective measures.

It's all just finding what parts work together the best and to have supporting internals. It definitely requires research and a good amount of spending. My buddy is doing a built 2 litre and it's going to end up being like over 5k. But this is getting sleeved by Benson, DD tech custom cams, full machining of the head....
It doesnt matter how high ur revving thats up and down not side to side pffft have u ever seen a cracked b20 ? When u revhigher it creates more room for detonation and imperfection in a tune or basemap

Sent from tapataalllkk

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It doesnt matter how high ur revving thats up and down not side to side pffft have u ever seen a cracked b20 ? When u revhigher it creates more room for detonation and imperfection in a tune or basemap

Sent from tapataalllkk
Your compression doesn't happen where your sleeves are in the cylinder, it happens in the combustion chamber. Higher rev = more friction = more heat. Thinner sleeves can handle as much heat as let's say b16 sleeves. That's how you crack them.

Just a honda!!

Registered VIP
Uhm well once again detonatipn causes heat and to much pressure because the valves arent open because the fuel air mixture is exoloding at the wrong time creating to much heat and pressure in the cylinder causing them to crack

Sent from tapataalllkk

jhar_EK

word
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Uhm well once again detonatipn causes heat and to much pressure because the valves arent open because the fuel air mixture is exoloding at the wrong time creating to much heat and pressure in the cylinder causing them to crack

Sent from tapataalllkk
well the detonation problem is an easy fix....it's called water methanol injection...do some research

i personally have only heard of b20's having problems with the high revs

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
.....besides all that ^^^ I haven't seen a b20v make k series power as a peak or thought the rev range

Just a honda!!

Registered VIP
well the detonation problem is an easy fix....it's called water methanol injection...do some research

i personally have only heard of b20's having problems with the high revs
I know about water metch e85 is better and readily availible

Sent from tapataalllkk

Just a honda!!

Registered VIP
.....besides all that ^^^ I haven't seen a b20v make k series power as a peak or thought the rev range
Yup u have too fuuuuuuulllly build a b to make mild k where u would spend just as much money imo

Sent from tapataalllkk

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Again. I will repeat detonation happens in the combustion chamber. Has nothing to do with the sleeve. You'll melt a piston before you would ever crack a sleeve.

Honda@heart

Simple steps to rid detonation

Sent from tapataalllkk
To tapataalllkk;

Let me no exactly what ur runnin, it'll determine the success of ur engine with the most potential... Lemme know engine code, head, intake, exhaust, cam, cam degree, basically any aftermarket thing you've done, or anything that's been done

Last edited:

Honda@heart

NEVER USE METH INJECT!!!!!

Using meth inject means relying on a small, cheap, simple pump to Reduce combustion temp...(which causesdetonation) relying on a simple, cheap pump means gambling with ur expensive engine... There's so many safer, simple ways

Honda@heart

Reducing c.c. Temps easily

NEVER USE METH INJECT!!!!

Gambling ur nice built engine should not rely a cheap pump to inject a cooling substance, failure of (cheap) injection pump means detonation..... Which will kill ur engine.. There's many simple ways to reduce c.c. Temp...without Ruskin ur engine

Honda@heart

Simple ways to make the hp

So im boosting my car next summer.

for now, i want to try a NA build. I dont want much at all. Just something that will give me 30hp more than what i already have.

1995 civic dx 5speed.

What can i put into my car to make some power.
If your familiar with volumetric efficiency, don't be dumb, if not look it up you can do insane things with both in &ex manifolds , cam, cam degree,

death the kid

huh? compression is directly related to cylinder pressure.... so compression does have something to do with it. hence why turbo b20's are known to pop cylinder walls without high revs. turbos increase cylinder pressure which will in turn crack sleeves. of course there are other variables that crack sleeves well. b20's sleeves aren't just weak because they are "thin" they are also made of a weaker material.

Just a honda!!

Registered VIP
huh? compression is directly related to cylinder pressure.... so compression does have something to do with it. hence why turbo b20's are known to pop cylinder walls without high revs. turbos increase cylinder pressure which will in turn crack sleeves. of course there are other variables that crack sleeves well. b20's sleeves aren't just weak because they are "thin" they are also made of a weaker material.
Exactly !!

Sent from tapataalllkk

Just a honda!!

Registered VIP
Again. I will repeat detonation happens in the combustion chamber. Has nothing to do with the sleeve. You'll melt a piston before you would ever crack a sleeve.
No u will not as my freind cracked his sleeves by detonation and his pistons are finee

Sent from tapataalllkk

Just a honda!!

Registered VIP
To tapataalllkk;

Let me no exactly what ur runnin, it'll determine the success of ur engine with the most potential... Lemme know engine code, head, intake, exhaust, cam, cam degree, basically any aftermarket thing you've done, or anything that's been done
Im running e85

Sent from tapataalllkk

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

Sent from tapataalllkk
you are pretty much right here. excess heat and pressure causes an auto-ignition. this gnerally occurs after the spark plug has been fired, and when there is still end gas in the cylinder.

you are also right here. the combustion chamber is at the top of the cylinder, and can occur in the just the chamber. but if detonation occurs while the piston is on the bottom of its power stroke, or before the piston gets to the top of its exhaust stroke, it could potentially damage the cylinder walls.

how are they made of weaker material? a b20 block is essentially a bored-out b18. same material.