Idle droping on its own

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Here's one for ya, Ron. 1994 del Sol, D15b7 engine, with 219k on the ticker. Car runs 100% perfect, except for at idle, SOMETIMES. Sometimes at idle (mainly when coming to a stop), the RPMs drop from the normal ~850, down to ~200 (almost stalling). Just changed the fuel filter, plugs, oil and filter, the air filter looks clean. I just drove a ~700 mile trip, and got over 35mph all day long, so its not affecting my gas milage. Any idea's?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
driver error

:lol:

RonJ

Banned
Dirty IACV?

Clogged PCV valve or PCV or breather hose?

Idle speed need adjustment?

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I changed the PCV as well (sorry, forgot to mention it in my OP), and it was quite clogged. From what I could see, it looked OK everywhere else. I dont think it'd be the idle speed (adjusting the idle screw), b/c if I did that, when it decides to idle normal, it would be up above 1000rpm's.

I'll try cleaning the IACV once I can afford to get new gaskets for it. :lol:

RonJ

Banned
I changed the PCV as well (sorry, forgot to mention it in my OP), and it was quite clogged. From what I could see, it looked OK everywhere else.

Did you check the breather and PCV hoses for obstructions? You may want to clean or replace them given that the PCV valve was clogged.

I dont think it'd be the idle speed (adjusting the idle screw), b/c if I did that, when it decides to idle normal, it would be up above 1000rpm's.

This is not necessarily true. The ECU should compensate for adjustments of the idle screw. I'd give the procedure a try, but make sure to hook up an accurate tachometer and in advance make sure the ignition timing is set to spec.

I'll try cleaning the IACV once I can afford to get new gaskets for it. :lol:

Replacing the rubber gaskets may not be necessary.

XeroReboot

Z6-All Motor
Ron's such a classy guy... he's answered this same question abotu 15 times and he never gets angry or starts rippin' on people for not searching +1 RON!