i'm stumped.....any clues?

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm disappointed I'm just getting in on this thread now; I've been on a trip.

But it was fun reading through!

Finnish~Racer

The ONLY Finnish-Canadian
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Did you get the ignition timing set to spec (alignment with red mark) with the engine idling at an approximately normal speed with the service connector jumped? If so, the mechanical timing is fine.

i totally blanked on that while i was trying to keep it idle as well as check the timing, i need to color the notches so i can see them distinctly when the light flashes. when i did see it though, it flashed back and forth between an inch before and after the sight. Are codes 14 and 38 the only codes now thrown?
and yes the cel codes are only 14 and 38

RonJ

Banned
From what you said, you did not set the ignition timing. The red mark is the middle mark in the group of three. Did you jump the service connector? This is important. You also need a buddy to help hold a steady idle as close to spec speed as possible.

Finnish~Racer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
From what you said, you did not set the ignition timing. The red mark is the middle mark in the group of three. Did you jump the service connector? This is important. You also need a buddy to help hold a steady idle as close to spec speed as possible.
no, i did not.
i fail to remember if i took the connector out before or after i got the car running, but its the best guess to believe that it WASNT in there.
and i was holding it right at idle while timing it, none the less a trial run i guess you could say.

Finnish~Racer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok, so i'm flashing the light at the notches, with the connector in.
anything else?

RonJ

Banned
Before you begin anything, review relevant procedures and diagrams that I posted in your thread. Write down what needs to be done. Preparation is the way to avoid forgetting important things to do.

Finnish~Racer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
true, i know what needs to be done but i had checked out for the day. lol
when i got the car going i was stunned. my dad ran out and said to time it and i jumped into action.....too bad they werent all the right actions

Finnish~Racer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok so i came home today with the intention of timing the car.....got it all setup and friggin dad saw a damn wire on the header and watched the wire melt onto the BRAND FU&KING NEW HEADER!!!!!!! and then said....."oh this is burning!" goddamn idiot!
anyway, he left and i tried to do it myself and i did manage to check it, and i saw NO NOTCHES!

it was timed, and i saw no notches. idk what the heck was going on.
i had the connector in, and the engine was warm.
THE HEADER GOT SUPER HOT! how is that possible? it only ran for 3-4 minutes at around 1500 rpms. the timing HAS to be off?! it can't be anything else. not a clogged fuel filter, nothing with ignition.....
the only thing could be timing.
~Ari

Finnish~Racer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Were any of the marks visible around the pointer?
no. and if i can be so bold as to add my opinion, my engine has never sounded this rough and tumbly. it heated up SUPERfast, and it was very hard to get it to turn over initially.