Influential Photography (some images may be disturbing)

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have a great book from Time that has images through history that contains really strong images.. this is a cool thread but i am going to edit the title to reflect that some of the images may be disturbing

in regards to famine and why is he taking pictures and not helping... THINK about it for a second.. its not like she just couldnt buy groceries this week.. it is a vast continuous problem... buying her a nice dinner or even groceries for the week would do NOTHING... taking a moving image.. getting the scene out to the world.. touching millions.. POTENTIALLY motivating people to get off of their asses and help to me is FAR more valuable than any food one man could provide... we all know the problem exists.. what have WE done to create change? can you honestly sit in your nice air conditioned room eating your sandwich.. say youve done any more than this man who is at least spreading the word...

BuiltforSin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
interesting story behind the girl and buzzard photograph...

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
oc_civic said:
in regards to famine and why is he taking pictures and not helping... THINK about it for a second.. its not like she just couldnt buy groceries this week.. it is a vast continuous problem... buying her a nice dinner or even groceries for the week would do NOTHING...
actually, to feed someone in a physicall state like that is dangerous
they eat too much, the wrong stuff, or too quick and it will kill them.

the best he could have done was gonna be to toss that girl a bottle of water... that should make her feel better for a whopping hour or so. then he would need to start doing iv fluids untill her body could handle solid foods....
then he only has another ~3million or so starving children over there to help out... but of course all of that would be pointless unless he continued to nourish and support them every day untill there arent anymore starving people in africa... so roughly another million years or so

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
We are not hated by all...

Ltrain

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Error404 said:
Not to be mean or anything, but I wouldn't touch em. Some of the deases they have and what not, plus, it's been said before, that people were instructed NOT to touch them.
f**k it id help im a fatherof alil girl and couldnt live with myself seeing a young girl die, id atleast try mybest to feed her and s**t

Ltrain

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
$lick Rick said:

the best he could have done was gonna be to toss that girl a bottle of water... that should make her feel better for a whopping hour or so. then he would need to start doing iv fluids untill her body could handle solid foods....
then he only has another ~3million or so starving children over there to help out... but of course all of that would be pointless unless he continued to nourish and support them every day untill there arent anymore starving people in africa... so roughly another million years or so
thats tru about thefood thing but at least u helped 1 person

Kataku

HAYOO
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ltrain said:
thats tru about thefood thing but at least u helped 1 person
You missed his point. He wouldn't be "helping one person". He'd be killing her. A human being that malnourished cannot handle any sort of solid food in that state. As he said, the guy would literally had to have hooked the girl to I.V's for her to even begin to regain the strength to handle "real" food.

Sometimes it's just not as simple as throwing someone a loaf of bread, sad or heartbreaking as that may be.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
$lick Rick said:

:werd:

Even the water could have gotten her sick. You can shrink your own stomach in (I think it's..) two weeks just by eating less. Now go back after you've shrank it and try to eat as much as you used to. You can't. You'll feel stuffed and maybe even sick.

Her stomach is probably so small and I doubt could even hold a bottle of water.

The fact is these people (people in starving nations that is) generally live in an area where you can no longer farm. The best thing to do would to just get everyone out of there anyway. My understanding is a lot of it also often has to do with the government though.

Sudan was under civil war (the second one that is) from 1983 until 2005. the war damaged the economy and led to food shortages. The north of Sudan is mostly Muslim and betetr off than the south, which is very poor. I understand now they are at war with Chad. It's a very unstable country and because of that this is the way life will be in that country for a long long time. BEfore these people can get back on their feet the problems with their government must be worked out first.

Even if he was willing to and thought of selling the camera, you have to reaize that that camera is WORTHLESS in southern Sudan. The only thing really worth anything to anyone would be food or water.

92EH9

flat black rat
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

im sure everyone has seen this picture before. its one of my favorite of all time

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

Mitsubishi Type 00 Fighters onboard the Japaneses aircraft carrier, Shokaku. Probably during the Battle of Santa Cruz Islands.

The USS Arizona burning in Pearl Harbor.

Lyndon B. Johnson taking the oath of office on Air Force One after the assasination of John F. Kennedy.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Amy - point taken. Makes a little more sense to me now.

The buddhist monk on fire has always been kind of a symbol to me. It represents a wish for peace in its highest form.... and it's kind of ironic how a burning of one's own body can portray that. Can you think of any single thing that you would set yourself on fire, sit calmly... and die for? I think jumping in front of a bullet is one thing.... but when you burn yourself to death willingly with no complaints and no guarantees....it's something totally different to me.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
In case anyone's curious, a short bit on the two photos posted above by 92EH9.

The first one is a photo of The Unknown Rebel (also known as "Tank Man") during the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989. He held up the column of 90 Chinese Type 90 tanks for around half an hour. When the first tank tried to go around him, he still continued to block it's way. Eventually he climed up onto the lead tank and had a conversation with the driver, though it is not clear what was said (rumors include "Why are you here? My city is in chaos because of you"; "Go back, turn around, and stop killing my people"; and "Go away."). Onlookers (possibly plainclothed police officers) pulled the man away into the crowd. It's unknown who he really is, but there is a story that it was a 19-year-old student named Wang Weilin.

The photo posted above wqas taken by Jef Widener from the sixth floor of the Bejing Hotel, which is around half a mile away.

The second one is a photo of the South Vietbanese poilce chief Chief General Nguyen Ngoc Loan executing NLF Captain Nguyen Van Lem.
Nguyen Van Lem was captured, his hands bound and was brought in front of the journalists. General Nguyen pulled out his revolver and calmly executed the prisoner with a single shot to the right temple. It was captured on film. Nguyen claimed that this was justified because the prisoner had been the captain of an NLF platoon that (reportedly) had just executed the wives, children and relatives of several South Vietnamese police officers. Thirty-four bound and murdered civilians were found in one ditch.

92EH9

flat black rat
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
cool, i knew the story on the tianenman one but not on the execution

jak

shaken...... not stirred.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
bump! anyone have any more? i have seen most of these before but this is a cool idea.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'm pretty sure we had a thread kind of like this in the old lounge too. Wonder what all those pics were.