Input requested. *Please read*

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Bumping this for more input. If anyone has input, please don't hesitate to post them, whether it be small or big!

Honestly, I think the chatroom button is fine where it is. Everytime you open a page (unless you click "Go to last post"), it shows right up at the top in plain view. But I can also understand how it could be overlooked. I think for organization purposes, it looks the best up there.

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That's not so much the issue, that it's bringing up a different page to access it. I think a lot of us are used to scrolling chats as headers that you can view at all times.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
That's not so much the issue, that it's bringing up a different page to access it. I think a lot of us are used to scrolling chats as headers that you can view at all times.
Oh that's what you meant? In that case that might not be so bad... So like facebook where it pops open a box and you can still scroll the site while keeping the chat box open so you don't lose it?

I'm personally okay with a second window. I use tabs and usually have a ton open at once anyways so I'm used to scrolling back and forth.

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Oh that's what you meant? In that case that might not be so bad... So like facebook where it pops open a box and you can still scroll the site while keeping the chat box open so you don't lose it?

I'm personally okay with a second window. I use tabs and usually have a ton open at once anyways so I'm used to scrolling back and forth.
sort of, not really. So at the bottom of each thread there's a "quick reply" box on here, right? Put that box at the top of the page, but it's a scrolling chat(shoutbox), it's permanently there, and you can chat that way.

Ended up doing a screen shot for you:

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
OOHHH. Shoutbox would definitely be a cool idea. I see those here and there. Is there any way to mod shout boxes? I'd be afraid of spammers or trolls posting stuff in there.

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
OOHHH. Shoutbox would definitely be a cool idea. I see those here and there. Is there any way to mod shout boxes? I'd be afraid of spammers or trolls posting stuff in there.
I was just checking into it. I could disable it to guests and users with less than a certain number of posts (10 maybe). I wouldn't want to put it on every page though. Maybe just put it on the forum home or in the lounges?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I was just checking into it. I could disable it to guests and users with less than a certain number of posts (10 maybe). I wouldn't want to put it on every page though. Maybe just put it on the forum home or in the lounges?
Would it be a bad idea to put it with those boxes you have on the right side of the page? (Latest Topics, CC Store Specials, etc.).

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Would it be a bad idea to put it with those boxes you have on the right side of the page? (Latest Topics, CC Store Specials, etc.).
I'm afraid it might affect the site speed if it loads on every page. That is my only concern.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'm afraid it might affect the site speed if it loads on every page. That is my only concern.
Ah, right. Yeah that would be unfortunate. Home page sounds like the best place for it then.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Is there any way to make it an optional feature... so that it could be enabled or disabled on a user by user basis? This way, those people still kickin it old school with 56k can disable it, and those with high speed access can enable it?

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Is there any way to make it an optional feature... so that it could be enabled or disabled on a user by user basis? This way, those people still kickin it old school with 56k can disable it, and those with high speed access can enable it?
It could possibly be an option. I'm more concerned about the server getting overloaded which would slow the site. I've read a bunch of bad experiences with some other chat systems regarding that. I could enable it on the homepage for now and go from there.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You would have much more experience with stuff like that than I would. I don't know if enabling it on the home page would have the effect that Kelly was saying would be beneficial (she would still need to have a separate window/tab open for the chat).

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm sorry, I noticed I didn't really explain where it's located well. Once you log into the sites it's there, and if you hit 'new posts' or 'today's posts'. Once you enter a thread, it's not visible.

I remember Vic saying you're concerned about slowing the board down; makes sense. I think the forum I posted has a limit before you can post, and they also mod it(when possible).

antie22

i
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i literally read all 13 pages:biz: and...................wow...........there sure were a TON of problems/conflicts huh?

...well besides that, I really like what Kelly showed us with the chat thing, and it being only in the homepage seems more than enough IMO, but a very good idea.

though giving thought to it I think you would have to make the homepage look not so crowded so that people wont be so "kicked in the face" with all the activity going on.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'm sorry, I noticed I didn't really explain where it's located well. Once you log into the sites it's there, and if you hit 'new posts' or 'today's posts'. Once you enter a thread, it's not visible.

I remember Vic saying you're concerned about slowing the board down; makes sense. I think the forum I posted has a limit before you can post, and they also mod it(when possible).
That's how it is on EJ8Squad. It's on the homepage but nowhere else. Now sure how it would effect site load speed though when everyone keeps going back and forth to the home page even if they don't want to shout something.

i literally read all 13 pages:biz: and...................wow...........there sure were a TON of problems/conflicts huh?

...well besides that, I really like what Kelly showed us with the chat thing, and it being only in the homepage seems more than enough IMO, but a very good idea.

though giving thought to it I think you would have to make the homepage look not so crowded so that people wont be so "kicked in the face" with all the activity going on.
It doesn't look all that crowded to me :what:. A few things I would recommend though:

1. Remove Latest Topics from the right, remove the small "New Posts" from the bar that has user cp, faq, community, calendar, etc. and put it up top on the main bar next to Chatroom.
2. Get rid of the Store Specials amd Sponsor Specials on the right and add them onto the Civic Parts Store page (button at top)
3. Get rid of Visit Our Sponsors on the right since the sponsors are listed on the main board page anyways. It looks like the list isn't fully updated either because some on the right aren't on the site sponsors page when you go there.
4. Move Daily Deal to the left side and put a shout box above it so the shout box is the first thing.

By doing that you have more ad space should you choose to want them and it looks less "cluttered".

Last edited:

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
How long have Social Groups been a part of CC? I have been a member on here for 8 years and just now discovered these. What about having a link to them within Off Topic at the top like a subforum?

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
OK, time for a bump, especially after this weekend's escapade.

So, what's new? We've got a couple of new mods I see.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^^We're in the process of expanding the staff - adding a variety of people to gain new insights, increase manpower, and keep the ideas flowing.