installing my coilovers

red98civ

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah i had to get the upper strut mounts off the stock struts. also i will look into switching the springs whenever my friend and i have the time to redo the whole setup.
also i'll have to roll the front fenders when i do that so i dont rub on turns

by the way the coil overs are a full kit and cost $230 and $56 for shipping b/c they weigh like 50 pounds

red98civ

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
also, has anyone heard of disconnecting the inner tie rods for the front when doing suspension?

frankmoocivic

I
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Not trying to be that guy.......... Car looks great but where the rear coilover bolts to the LCA does that piece look a lttle thin for a suspension part???? And where did you connect your front brake lines don't they mount to the front shock??

red98civ

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my mechanic said the front inner tie rods busted from not disconnecting them during the install so i gotta get them replaced. where it bolts to the LCA its definitely thinner than the oem struts, and the brake lines dont go to the strut, they go around it to the brake assembly

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Not trying to be that guy.......... Car looks great but where the rear coilover bolts to the LCA does that piece look a lttle thin for a suspension part???? And where did you connect your front brake lines don't they mount to the front shock??
Now that you mention it, it does look a bit thin... but nobody's had an issue with them that I know of, so I guess we can just keep an eye out.

I can't remember if they do or not on our cars... and it's raining outside so I'm not going to go check. :lol:

If they do mount to the strut, a zip tie will suffice. :what:

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my mechanic said the front inner tie rods busted from not disconnecting them during the install so i gotta get them replaced. where it bolts to the LCA its definitely thinner than the oem struts, and the brake lines dont go to the strut, they go around it to the brake assembly
I'm not sure that this would matter, but then again I'm not sure that it would not. It's possible that your tie rods were blown already and he's just citing that as the cause.

Sammo115

It be me, Sammo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Damn. not to be a d**k or anything but i never knew it would be this complicated for some to install sleeves. Ive installed sleeves, full coilovers on a buttload of cars and ive never taken out any tie rod or anything else besides the shock/springs itself.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Damn. not to be a d**k or anything but i never knew it would be this complicated for some to install sleeves. Ive installed sleeves, full coilovers on a buttload of cars and ive never taken out any tie rod or anything else besides the shock/springs itself.
This was a full coil-over strut install. But yes, I've also never heard of disconnecting the tie rods.

frankmoocivic

I
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well I'm sure the actual install wasn't that bad and like my man said maybe it was broken before the install. Well either way he did a good enough job.

red98civ

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
now i just have to find some time to re-do the entire thing and put the front springs in the back, and the backs in the front. and roll my fenders

Georgy

5+ Year Member
I have a few questions and I figured it would be better to post here than make a new thread.

I'm looking into the raceland coilovers. If I get them, do i need to buy struts or other things to lower my civic? Is the install pretty straightfoward? Also, if I'm looking to lower about 1.5-2 inches do i need a camber kit?

I have a 1999 civic ex coupe. If someone can point me towards a how-to guide for this car for coilovers that would be appreciated. Thanks!

red98civ

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the raceland coilovers are a full coilover setup, the site tells you what it consists of www.racelandus.com but it is struts and springs in a full setup. if you only wanna drop that little you may not need a camber kit but im not sure b/c im slammed and have bad camber. also if you dont wanna slam your car, make sure you dont set the coilovers all the way down. there is many sites and forum posts on how to do this, just google it and try to have a friend there when you do the job.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have a few questions and I figured it would be better to post here than make a new thread.

I'm looking into the raceland coilovers. If I get them, do i need to buy struts or other things to lower my civic? Is the install pretty straightfoward? Also, if I'm looking to lower about 1.5-2 inches do i need a camber kit?

I have a 1999 civic ex coupe. If someone can point me towards a how-to guide for this car for coilovers that would be appreciated. Thanks!
Full coilovers (as opposed to coilover sleeves) come with both the spring and the strut, so between the hardware already on your car and what Raceland provides, you'll be set, as long as you have some basic tools.

Do you NEED a camber kit? No. SHOULD you get a camber kit? Yes. You can get a camber kit for the front and use the washer trick for the rear. If you don't correct your camber, you may have greatly exaggerated tire wear (will cost you more in the long run as you keep replacing tires). Some people end up not having too big of an issue, but I would highly recommend correcting your camber.

Washer Trick:
http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=744

The install of the coilovers will be very similar to this thread:
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=130371

EDIT: As you have a coupe and this is for a hatch, the rear will be slightly different. Instead of under the speakers, the top bearing plates for the rear struts in our coupes are behind some carpeting in the trunk. Just look under the car to figure out exactly where, then pull the carpet back.

Make sure in about a week after you install the coilovers (it may take a week or so for the springs to settle) that you get an alignment. You will need the camber kit and washer trick beforehand.

Maleek

5+ Year Member
Im really tempted to buy these coilovers, but the roads are really bumpy where i live, so im afraid that my car will be bouncing all over the place if i get them :(

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Im really tempted to buy these coilovers, but the roads are really bumpy where i live, so im afraid that my car will be bouncing all over the place if i get them :(
Actually, the spring rates are soft compared to other aftermarket companies, so that shouldn't be much of an issue.

They have about the same rates as EM1 springs.

Maleek

5+ Year Member
Actually, the spring rates are soft compared to other aftermarket companies, so that shouldn't be much of an issue.

They have about the same rates as EM1 springs.
Im assuming you like them then lol, how long have you had yours?

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Im assuming you like them then lol, how long have you had yours?
I don't have them, but I've done the research and read reviews on them. I'll be ordering a set in the coming weeks, when I can scrounge up some extra cash. I'll post up a thread on here when I get them.

red98civ

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
mine are not too bouncy at all. rolled my fenders today and my tires dont rub. this sunday i'll be switching the front and rear springs so the back can drop more too, then i'll be lowering all the way down for a full out slam. hope the ride stays not-so-bouncy like it is now! i'll definitely post more pics and let you guys know how it turns out