Installing rear speakers on coupe.

UKcivic-coupe

5+ Year Member
Hi hoping someone can help having trouble removing the rear shelf in order to replace the 6x9 speakers whats the best way to get that shelf out?

spoons

5+ Year Member
mate its a hell of a job all the back seats and side pannels have to come out hell of a game.

immajackuup

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol s**t is a b***h to change the speaker

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
if youve got a utility knife you can just cut the speaker covers off of the panel. still easier said than done tho. first you unbolt the folding part of the rear seats, it should be 2 10mm bolts on either sides of the cushions, then remove the brackets that the seats were bolted to. then remove the bench with i think a 12mm bolt in the back and pull the sides of the bench upwards and they should pop out and pull the bench out. then the side panels just pop off with some force but be careful not to brake the little snaps. after you have all that nonsense out the rear panel can finally come off. it too just pops off and voila, access to your speakers. all in all it should take like 20-30 minutes to get everything out if its your first time doing it. remember when reinstalling to do the rear panel first, then side panels, then seat brackets cuz they mount through a hole in the side panels, then the bench, then the folding seats last. hope this helps and hasnt discouraged you from your speaker install

K2_civic

Fo-drizzle!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Mugenkid18 said:
if youve got a utility knife you can just cut the speaker covers off of the panel. still easier said than done tho. first you unbolt the folding part of the rear seats, it should be 2 10mm bolts on either sides of the cushions, then remove the brackets that the seats were bolted to. then remove the bench with i think a 12mm bolt in the back and pull the sides of the bench upwards and they should pop out and pull the bench out. then the side panels just pop off with some force but be careful not to brake the little snaps. after you have all that nonsense out the rear panel can finally come off. it too just pops off and voila, access to your speakers. all in all it should take like 20-30 minutes to get everything out if its your first time doing it. remember when reinstalling to do the rear panel first, then side panels, then seat brackets cuz they mount through a hole in the side panels, then the bench, then the folding seats last. hope this helps and hasnt discouraged you from your speaker install
Please do not cut the grills, that is GHETTO

FYI, while you have it all out, might as well clean it all and wipe down the windows

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
K2_civic said:
Please do not cut the grills, that is GHETTO

FYI, while you have it all out, might as well clean it all and wipe down the windows
i didnt say i recommend cutting them out lol, just an idea. when i did my speakers is the same time i painted my interior black, just another idea..

Astheros

AMPhotography
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i didnt take anything out....just brought down the back seats.....took the little bolts out from the top of the rear cover....3 of them.....pull one side out....and then pull the other side out....you have to bend it though so as to get it to come over the sidepanels.....it might be scare cause it feels like it might break but it wont.....its pretty hard but flexible plastic...if anything you may break one of the clips on the rear panel but it aint no biggie....

this is how ive done it in 3 coupes.

i am not responsible for anything you do though...this is just how ive done it...try it at your risk.

Dont_Tri

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Off the top of my head here is what I know...

I just did it this weekend when I installed my system in my EM1. You have to remove the back seats completely bottom and fold downs, both side panels then the top rear third brake panel. Not that hard of a job just time consuming and patience is needed. I did the complete removal install the new speakers and reinstall in an hours time.

To start first remove the back seat bottom half. It’s held in by four wire grab things. To remove push in from the front end right behind the two seats driver and passenger and it should pop right out. Then fold down the rear seats and pull up the carpet covers. Remove the size 10mm bolts there should be four all together on the small fold down. Then do the same on the large fold down towards the driver’s side. Then remove the brackets that held the fold down. The bolts holding the brackets are size 12mm remove these there are two in total.
Once the rear seats removed you can now move on towards the side panels which are held in by snap in plugs and wrapped corner around the door. Remove the snap in plugs and the panel should pop right out. Once the sides are out you can now move to the top panel the one with the third brake light. From there it’s pretty simple these are off the top of my head instructions I’m pretty sure if I forgot anything a fellow CC member will add or comment. However, these instructions should take care of your inquiries. Best regards…..

UKcivic-coupe

5+ Year Member
Well all done now, what a b***h of a job that was took around 2 hours i know honda's are well made but not always a good thing lol.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
if the rear deck panel overlapped the side panels it would be a 5 minute job. Mr. Honda just really wants us to keep those factory speakers in there

blarue09

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
before you put anything back, make sure the speakers work perfectly!!! if you had a loose connection or dammaged speaker you would probably want to cry when you find out somethings wrong after putting it all back together.

also... i've heard of people doing bottom mount conversions for the rear speakers when they have everything out, anyone care to share their knowlege about this idea and what you need to do it? It would save a lot of work if you ever blew them or just wanted another change.

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
i just did my friends a few months ago, the back deat comes out, the rear panels and the speaker cover comes off, takes about an hour to get everything out if your working alone, just be clean when putting everything back together or s**t with make rattling noises when your driving at night and arent bumpin music

SweetEBPSi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
BTW, once you have everything out (seats, panels, speakers), instead of installing the new speakers the same way, bottom mount the speakers. Get some of those things that you screw into that are bent in a U shape. If you don't know what I'm talking about, go here and look in the bottom left corner of the pic. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-HMoodh6KzwS/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=103200&tab=morephotos&pi=2&i=264560016&display=XL#Tab

Put those on the car and then srew the speaker to those. If this sounds confusing, I will clarify later, but not unless someone doesn't know what I'm talking about.

The reason for the bottom mount is that if you had to take them out or you got ne speakers, all you would have to do is unscrew the speaker and then screw in the new one. No need to take everything out again.

96greencivic

#1 in the Atlantic!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
SweetEBPSi said:
BTW, once you have everything out (seats, panels, speakers), instead of installing the new speakers the same way, bottom mount the speakers. Get some of those things that you screw into that are bent in a U shape. If you don't know what I'm talking about, go here and look in the bottom left corner of the pic. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-HMoodh6KzwS/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=103200&tab=morephotos&pi=2&i=264560016&display=XL#Tab

Put those on the car and then srew the speaker to those. If this sounds confusing, I will clarify later, but not unless someone doesn't know what I'm talking about.

The reason for the bottom mount is that if you had to take them out or you got ne speakers, all you would have to do is unscrew the speaker and then screw in the new one. No need to take everything out again.
Good call. Wish I thought of that before I did all my audio. Gonna be a pain when I sell the car off and want to put crap speaker back in.

DaGFTDOne

Car Audio Guru
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Actually if you can figure out how to get the inner quarter panels partially out on the top you can pop the rear deck off, thats how I did em at circuit city. its in no way ghetto rigged and you dont have to cut anything

DaGFTDOne

Car Audio Guru
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
SweetEBPSi said:

Didnt see this before, you can also cut the clips holding the screws under the deck and push the speaker up to slide it out then bottom mount..... thats kind of ghetto but thats another trick learned at CC if we couldnt just pop the rear deack easily

SweetEBPSi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
DaGFTDOne said:
Didnt see this before, you can also cut the clips holding the screws under the deck and push the speaker up to slide it out then bottom mount..... thats kind of ghetto but thats another trick learned at CC if we couldnt just pop the rear deack easily
I'm sorry to say this but in your two posts about tricks you have done, you have called the tricks ghetto. Circuit City must really suck. Not saying that CC is the only place that does it, but I would definately never go there now after you telling that. There must be a lot of people that don't inspect work done when they get the car back. I'm one of those people that want it done right the first time.