intake question please help anyone with single cam vtec

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
PIC PIC PIC

I bought an intake and installed it but i don't know what to do with this thing someone help... post a pic if possible plus there like a hose i dont know what to do with, i put a breather on the valve cover and now that hose (which is melted to another hose) is just sitting there can someone show me a pic of how they installed theres up close so i can see what you did, and also 1 more question...i bought a short shifter and everyone keeps telling my not to put it on, should i or not?
what is this?

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you dont really have to use that peice.but i think your better off using that hose they gave you (should have) and using that to connect from the valve cover to the intake piping..hope this helps

Arcane Hayter

I'll sleep when I'm dead.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
2slo4u said:
you dont really have to use that peice.but i think your better off using that hose they gave you (should have) and using that to connect from the valve cover to the intake piping..hope this helps
Yeah, that's how mines hooked up. Seams like the original hose that was connected to the valve cover is piggy-backed onto to another hose you need to keep connected, so the original one is still laying there under my hood. I couldn't figure out a good way to disconnect it from the other one without just replacing that one in the process. So yeah, it should connect from the intake pipe to your valve cover and as for the bracket - I couldn't figure it out and chunked it. ;)

Vicious

1st gen lover
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Suanico said:
I bought an intake and installed it but i don't know what to do with this thing someone help... post a pic if possible plus there like a hose i dont know what to do with, i put a breather on the valve cover and now that hose (which is melted to another hose) is just sitting there can someone show me a pic of how they installed theres up close so i can see what you did, and also 1 more question...i bought a short shifter and everyone keeps telling my not to put it on, should i or not?
what is this?
take the beather off and connect that hose from the intake to the valve cover the breather only reduces back pressure or something like that. and that bracket is supposed to attact to the intake pipe and bolted to a bushing inside the engine bay. that's what it's supposed to be for, like on my AEM intake, but since you got an ebay intake you'll have to weld it and even then i doubt it'd line up with the bushing so i just suggest leaving it off. all it's designed to do is to keep the intake pipe from shaking. and the short shifter i'd only install if it were from a reputable company cuz the shitty ebay ones will break on you. hope this helps man ;)

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
for installation:
- make sure u use that long colored tube provided connecting the valve cover and the intake
- make sure u plug the IAT sensor into the hole on the intake
- if there is another hole, plug that other tube in it that sort runs down the engine bay and across to some other lines (it just blows out air i believe but not important)

if u get a cel, reset the ecu.
to reset ecu:
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=58333

and dont worry about that metal tube that connected stock box intake and valve cover. its pretty much welded onto that bracket with the other hose. i left mine hanging in the engine bay too. and that last tube in the installation i mentioned above is hanging in my engine bay too and not a problem.

as for that bracket, u dont need it. if u tightened the clamps on the couplers good enough, then the intake should barely budge. also, i noticed if u install it at a certain position, the filter actually sits on the hoses by the stock box location. but most brand name companies sell their intakes WITH that bracket welded/soldered on so u can bolt it up to stock bolt locations

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
oh sweet i'll post a pic later today thanks everyone

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
figured it out my friend showed me what he did on his lexus and it works perfect check it, not a bad intake for $25 shipped, i can tell a hp difference and the sound of vtec is lovely

Last edited:

Arcane Hayter

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Suanico said:
figured it out my friend showed me what he did on his lexus and it works perfect check it, not a bad intake for $25 shipped, i can tell a hp difference and the sound of vtec is lovely

:thumbs up

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Suanico said:

BWAHAHAHAHAH. Horsepower difference?

It's called a lead foot.

SweetEBPSi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I like how you still left part of your intake in your bumper. Just take the bumper off and take that out.

Arcane Hayter

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
SweetEBPSi said:
I like how you still left part of your intake in your bumper. Just take the bumper off and take that out.
What is that? The silencer for the OEM intake? Whoops ;)

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
SweetEBPSi said:
yeah thats is going to get done next, i had like 30 minutes before i went to work so that wasn't important but im going to haha

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
MugenShox said:
nice bro.. looks good... get rid of that stock airbox and its all good...
Funny ..... I think the stock airbox looks 10x better than any flashy piece of chrome in an engine bay. Also, factory air filters and aftermarket drop-in's flow a lot better than a dyed piece of paper with some wire mesh on it.

RICESUX

5+ Year Member
Eran said:
Funny ..... I think the stock airbox looks 10x better than any flashy piece of chrome in an engine bay..
Yeah, not fond of gleaming polished surfaces under the hood either.

98civichx

SILVER EJ7
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the welded metal hoses you can take off. one goes from the valve cover to the air intake the other goes from the head to the intake manifold. the inside one is a coolant line to help cool the intake manifold. go to your local parts store buy about 8-10 inches of fuel line and use the pinch clamps that are already on the hoses and replace that crap. it will look so much better than leaving the ugly metal lines in there. if you can replace your intake you can replace the hoses its all straight forward.

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
SweetEBPSi said:

there you happy

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
we will go right along and keep this thread civil.. how many of you talking all that about intakes had one at one time ;) we all go through stages and learn to do dif things to our cars.. some of us move on and some dont.. first mod i did was filter on a stick.. and i even thought that it added more power.. as eran so bluntly put it.. you are probably making less hp in a few spots.... a word of advice.. hang onto your stock airbox stuff as you may regret this part one day.. not talkign s**t jsut being honest... :D

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
oh i keep all my stock parts i learned to do that from my last car, i threw away my stock airbox, stock cd player and rims in tires, literally dumped them, biggest mistake ever but i was 17 so leave me alone, hahaa, but Im not taking this intake off i think its bad ass, i can notice a different