Intake questions

RayES2

Got an 05 ES2 with a D17A2.. I know about air intakes and which one I want, is it possible to just do a cone filter on the stock intake tube without throwing a CEL or should I just go with the performance? Not looking for MAJOR hp or mpg, just a little somethin somethin. Reason I ask is if I don't see a difference with just the cone filer I would be able to put the stock system back on before I buy the performance. No flaming or trolling, need serious answers from serious people. Thanks!

Bhikku

Mud, Blood, Beer
Registered VIP
To be honest i doubt you'd see a difference between stock and aftermarket, aside from more sound.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yeah, adding just an intake or a filter to an otherwise stock D-series engine is like adding a penny to an already full jar of change... It's there, but you won't really see the difference. IMO I would keep it as is and just change the filter when needed.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You won notice a performance difference on a stock engine with any air intake option above upgrading the drop-in filter. Just upgrade to a K&N filter and you'll be fine.

RayES2

Sweet, thanks for the info fellas. I figured as much but you never know until you ask right?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yup, that's what we're here for :thumbs up

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
don't use a k&n drop in those require oil and can be very easily over oiled. buy the cheapest ebay intake you can find and swap the cone filter with a AEM dryflow they even sell them at advanced auto parts.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
don't use a k&n drop in those require oil and can be very easily over oiled. buy the cheapest ebay intake you can find and swap the cone filter with a AEM dryflow they even sell them at advanced auto parts.
Maintenance on a K&N filter is about as easy as it gets. I'm not sure how you could screw that up.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Maintenance on a K&N filter is about as easy as it gets. I'm not sure how you could screw that up.
The only way you over-spray the oil is if you dont pay attention and just spray it heavily. Even if you do over-oil it, just let it drip off for a bit. Thats it.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The only way you over-spray the oil is if you dont pay attention and just spray it heavily. Even if you do over-oil it, just let it drip off for a bit. Thats it.
Not necessarily true. I had a factory k&n (oiled by them fresh out of the box) take out the air intake temp sensor and the map sensor on my sportbike. That thing sucks in air like a vacuum though so maybe it was too much for the oil to stay put regardless of how much was sprayed on.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not necessarily true. I had a factory k&n (oiled by them fresh out of the box) take out the air intake temp sensor and the map sensor on my sportbike. That thing sucks in air like a vacuum though so maybe it was too much for the oil to stay put regardless of how much was sprayed on.
Good point. Although I personally just wipe off such excess oil on the suction side of the filter.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My engine is stock and I made good power with a cold air intake. ;)