Is this car worth buying?

Christianr17

Whats up guys, i was wondering if you guys think this is a fair deal for a 2000 civic ex? the guy says the outside has a minor scratch. the interiors side panel is ripped and it needs a knock sensor (guy says its like 10 bucks). i was wondering what you guys thought? He also says that he doesnt know what the suspension is. that it cost his 250 to do. http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/cto/4196006779.html

Trekk

Registered VIP
Seems high to me.
Car has been painted and looks like someone was messing with the low side of the a/c

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Moved to the "Should I buy" section :thumbs up

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'm always suspicious of vehicles that have been repainted. It's also missing the side skirts, the low side a/c line is covered in dye (which may be a sign somebody's looking for an a/c leak), and you'll get tired of those painted interior pieces.... for the condition it's in, I wouldn't give 3600... I might give $2000-2400 if a mechanic checked it over and made sure it didn't need other items fixed/replaced.

As a rule, I almost never buy a car that someone else has already started modifying anyways, unless I'm looking for a project.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's way too high for a 13 year old car. It doesn't look too bad to me but that price is too much.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ripped Interior = find seats in a junkyard
Painted interior trims = easily found online or at junkyards
Knock Sensor = if it was that easy & cheap to repair then why didnt he handle it? Never fall for that tactic.
Suspension = any quality shock or spring will either be labeled or have an easily identifiable color. So chances are its a cheap brand. Just push down each corner & if it bounces a bit the shock's worn.
Repainted = Take a close look at the paint. Too much orange peel or minimal luster indicates cheap paint & clear. Thus it'll need repainting within 3 years. Also check the edges around the glass, in the engine bay & the door & trunk jams for a clean blend.

There's no way this Civic is worth paying more than $2500 and thats if it runs very well. This car definitely sounds like a project. Whether it be a relatively simple or complex project is the big question. If the engine performs solid & shifts smoothly then it may not need anything major. Im inclined to believe this guy is searching for a sucker kid enamored with Civics to foolishly pay anywhere near $3600.

Tip #1: Anyone that paints random interior trims in white knows little to nothing about cars or proper maintenance. So chances are the car has some mechanical neglect especially if he's too lazy to clean the engine bay of the car he wishes to sell.

Tip #2: If you choose to check out the car again, leave it on for 10-15 minutes with the AC on while you review the entire car. It'll allow the engine to warm up enough to observe and potential leaks.

Tip #3: Use each issue with the car to nitpick the price down. Research price estimates for each issue then thrown in potential observable issues, such as the AC potentially having a leak & the engine clearly having an issue that Im inclined to believe is more than just a simple knock sensor.