Is upgrading to a 2000 Civic Si the best choice?

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
heheheh

i was just tryin to get a rise out of yah baby [/austin powers]

Nickeleye

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Can somebody give me, the newbie, a quick explanation of what all these shorthand terms are that you all are using?

Ex. EM1, EM3, DC2, etc.

EM1_ProJect

Yeah...it's boosted
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nickeleye said:
Can somebody give me, the newbie, a quick explanation of what all these shorthand terms are that you all are using?

Ex. EM1, EM3, DC2, etc.
Chassis codes... Em1 = my car =)

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Nickeleye said:

Ex. EM1, EM3, DC2, etc.
i have a thread with all the civic chassis codes..... it is a sticky in the "engine tech" forum. your current car is an EJ6.

Nickeleye

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok, so I want to make sure I understand this right. There are several chassis codes. Some chassis are lighter and some area heavier. What's the big deal from one chassis to the next? If you're not going to be racing or anything it doesn't seem like to me most people would notice the difference from one chassis or another. Maybe I'm wrong... or is it more of a bragging rights type of thing?

mugen00

American Honda=Domestic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you do decide to get a 2000 si, becareful in choosing one cause alot of those cars have been abused and messed with. Its really hard to find a 2000 Si thats in mint condition.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Tiso said:
weight really doesn't matter unless you are planning on making this car a speed demon(drag or something else) as well. Just depends on what you want to do to the car. you can't go wrong with the EM1 though. Welcome to CC.
I strongly disagree with you. Weight definitely matters.

and I don't think anybody cleared this up.. so i'll take a stab at it for you...
losing weight on your car doesnt give you more horsepower. I'm not sure how to say this but it... makes your horsepower count more. Did that make sense to you? Let me put it this way - Give a car an engine that puts out 70 horsepower and it's slow as f**k. Give that same engine to a scooter and it'll f**kin fly.

They both had the same amount of horsepower but the scooter had serious weight advantages thus it had less weight to move and went faster.

Hopefully that cleared it up a little for you.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Nickeleye said:
Ok, so I want to make sure I understand this right. There are several chassis codes. Some chassis are lighter and some area heavier. What's the big deal from one chassis to the next? If you're not going to be racing or anything it doesn't seem like to me most people would notice the difference from one chassis or another. Maybe I'm wrong... or is it more of a bragging rights type of thing?
a chassis code tells a lot about a car. you can tell what model the car is as well as the "trim." it is must easier for us to say EM1 isntead of 99-00 civic si... or say EJ8 instead of 96-00 civic ex.. with just two letters and an number, you can identify several things about car.. whether it has a moonroof, what engine is in it, what the curb weight is, etc. not much for bragging rights unless you have an EK9 (civic type r)

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
joe7987 said:
I strongly disagree with you. Weight definitely matters.

and I don't think anybody cleared this up.. so i'll take a stab at it for you...
losing weight on your car doesnt give you more horsepower. I'm not sure how to say this but it... makes your horsepower count more. Did that make sense to you? Let me put it this way - Give a car an engine that puts out 70 horsepower and it's slow as f**k. Give that same engine to a scooter and it'll f**kin fly.

They both had the same amount of horsepower but the scooter had serious weight advantages thus it had less weight to move and went faster.

Hopefully that cleared it up a little for you.
i think the scooter would tip over lol

Nickeleye

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
True enough. In fact, I was thinking that most people have these types of cars (Honda or otherwise) fall into two categories - either they take really good care of the car OR they thrash it.

Mugen - Is that your car in the sig.? What type of wheels are those? They look a lot like the 5 spoke Enkei wheels I have on my Civic.

Nickeleye

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I just had a couple more questions - What's the last year that the hatchback SI's were made (not the newest version)?

Do any of the older SI's have the passenger seat easily slides forward to let passengers in the back like most of the newer 2dr coupes have? That's one thing that's really annoying about my Civic right now. If anybody wants to get the back I have to slide the seat forward AND pull the lever so the seat tilts forward just so people can get in back.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
the last year for usdm Si hatchbacks was 1995 (5th generation).... there is a 6th generation SiR hatchback (also known as VTi) that was not marketted in the us

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
anfrey said:
the last year for usdm Si hatchbacks was 1995 (5th generation).... there is a 6th generation SiR hatchback (also known as VTi) that was not marketted in the us
you just had to rub it in didnt yah you lil cdm imported biatch :evil:

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
pop-n-fresh said:
you just had to rub it in didnt yah you lil cdm imported biatch :evil:
well, i'm showing him the importance of using chassis codes or generation names.. because there are several markets worldwide =) if i wasn't in the US i would've said 2000 ;)

Nickeleye

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks for the information. I didn't know you could identify the car so easily in just three letters.
I also understand the weight/horespower analogy as well. It makes perfect sense that if I had 160 HP in a 2000 SI vs. my 2000 DX I'd have a bit of a performance gain. But, that being said, I don't think it would be much and in my case I wouldn't have the time to "upgrade" my car up to SI standards.

Nickeleye

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What about pricing. I've been finding the Si for anywhere from $11,000 to $15,000. Some have improvements already made to the cars and some have not. Some have 40,000 miles and the less expensive ones have closer to 90,000 miles. Personally, I'm looking more towards the $12-13k range, but if the mods are worth the money I may just consider going higher. I wonder if anybody here can tell me what an acceptable price might be for a used 2000 SI that may have at least 45k miles and maybe a couple of mods (since most people seem to have modified at least a couple of things about the car).

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i bought my 2000 em1 for $11,000. it came with short ram intake (SRI), Carbon Fiber (CF) hood, a drop on Ground Control Coilovers, and kyb GR2 gas shocks that werent on the car and sold. i was really lucky. usually a car that comes with all those would go for 13k-14k. just look around, and know how to negotiate