Is upgrading to a 2000 Civic Si the best choice?

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
oh sorry 42000 when i bought it

Nickeleye

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

Tiso

Tello !
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
joe7987 said:
I strongly disagree with you. Weight definitely matters.

and I don't think anybody cleared this up.. so i'll take a stab at it for you...
losing weight on your car doesnt give you more horsepower. I'm not sure how to say this but it... makes your horsepower count more. Did that make sense to you? Let me put it this way - Give a car an engine that puts out 70 horsepower and it's slow as f**k. Give that same engine to a scooter and it'll f**kin fly.

They both had the same amount of horsepower but the scooter had serious weight advantages thus it had less weight to move and went faster.

Hopefully that cleared it up a little for you.
I agree with you. I was saying that the extra 200lbs doesn't matter if he was going to have this car as a daily go gettier and cruise car. I was saying weight would matter if he was going to turn this car in a 'drag car or really fast car what some will call it'. Cause you wouldn't want all that extra weight holding you down. It seems to me he just wants to have a speedy little daily driver car and I was just inputting that the EM1 weight doesn't matter if its for that(Meaning: the em1 weights 200 some more lbs than his DX).

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i just realized you live less than an hour from me. lol. that looks like a steal also. just make sure you get a carfax report on it before you make any final decisions

Nickeleye

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Tiso - You're exactly right. I won't be drag racing or street racing so I just want something that's going to be a nice healthy boost up from my sad little DX.

Shiznit028 - Where are you at? What's carfax and how do I use it? Can I just enter a VIN number and it'll tell me the story of a car? I'd check right now, but I can't seem to get on the damn website!!!

Nickeleye

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nevermind. Got into the carfax site. Tells me this car has 4 records, but I guess I either have to pay $20 to find out what the deal is or see if I can find out from the owner... hopefully it's nothing bad. That'd be a shame.

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
well think about it. $20 for how many reports? are you really going to get a car or are you just thinking about it right now? if you really are going to get a car then you should pay the $20. im in simi valley btw

denracho

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i would do a swap or some engine work instead. anfrey is right because dx is the lightest and you don't have to worry about trading paper work crap and all that bullshit.... just turbo your d engine and you can be faster than the 7th gen si's. i was trying to sell my car 3 times and i still end up keeping it. i will swap my auto to manual because there's a shop that will do it for me for 400 including the tranny and installation included. cheap hah.... then turbo.. or nos... btw "WELCOME TO CC".

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
he already said he doesnt want to swap or do anything like that.
attention clubcivic: TURBOING A CAR IS NOT THE ANSWER TO EVERY QUESTION
anyway, i had a 2000ex, and, well, shes sleeping for a long time but now i have a 2000si and i couldn't have made a better choice.

160hp may not seem like a whole lot compared to 127 or 115, but think of thise. my si is heavier than my ex, only has 33 more horsepower and like the same torque. the 0-60 is TWO seconds faster and quarter mile almost one and a half. its the fastest production civic you can get, except the type R.

plus, it will handle better than your dx, and you cant go wrong with a dohc if you want to upgrade. the only problem with my car is its lack of torque, but youve been driving a DX so you wont really notice. not to mention it looks great, the lips and the wheels, guages, badges, and the engine are really slick. trust me, once you hit VTEC in the si, you wont be thinking about 200 measly pounds.

overall, get the si. its an overall great car, if you've got any more questions i pretty much know everything there is, so feel free. ;)

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
not to mention it has better suspension. ie upgraded front sway bar and a rear sway bar

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ive never heard of anyone with a 99-00si thats says they dont like it

Nickeleye

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks for all of the info you guys.
Going-West - I appreciate your thoughts. I want to clear something up. It's not that I'm opposed to modifying my car to an SI... it's just that I can't spare downtime to do that to the car. I need the car everyday for commuting purposes and can't afford to have the engine torn out so I can do a replacement over the coarse of a week or so. On top of that it would be kind of a pain. So I'd rather just sell my DX and maybe spend a couple grand to upgrade to the SI, which looks like it might be a good possibility.

As far as adding turbo goes... can't you turbo the SI's engine too if you REALLY wanted to?

green

You Can DO IT!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
1 more vote for the EM1. I got a good deal on mine, 10k w/ 39k miles in hawaii! lol. It wasn't beat on, and it was a friend of mine, so I knew it was taken care of. I really really like my car. I don't forsee selling it ever. I love all the "luxury" features, moonroof, stock tweeters, keyless entry, and all that. Obviously DOHC VTEC is great, I'm still not sick of "spirited driving" after a year. I think they are one of the best looking usdm civics, and have so much potential.
One of the best things about my car is that I get 30 - 32 miles a gallon, even when I drive like a maniac. I commute a lot, and it is so great that I get such good gas mileage while having fun at the same time.

It's true that you could convert your dx, but that is a ton of work with potential hidden cost. I would buy the si, and in your spare time, start upgrading a solid base. That si on autotrader looks like a good deal, but definitely do your homework on it (watch out for those salvage titles!). Welcome to CC, you'll learn a lot about your car if you put the time in.

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nickeleye said:
Thanks for all of the info you guys.
Going-West - I appreciate your thoughts. I want to clear something up. It's not that I'm opposed to modifying my car to an SI... it's just that I can't spare downtime to do that to the car. I need the car everyday for commuting purposes and can't afford to have the engine torn out so I can do a replacement over the coarse of a week or so. On top of that it would be kind of a pain. So I'd rather just sell my DX and maybe spend a couple grand to upgrade to the SI, which looks like it might be a good possibility.

As far as adding turbo goes... can't you turbo the SI's engine too if you REALLY wanted to?
no problem. and yes, you can turbo a SI, even if you dont REALLY want to, its just the same as any other car. slap on a turbo kit at about 6-7 psi depending on the setup and youll be running mid 13's. the b16a2 has loads of potential

01S2K

VTEC Worshipper
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Make sure you protect it though. It seems like theives love the EM1 as much as we do.

quicksilver1689

tuning owns you
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i whould love to have a 99-00 si. its a good platform to upgrade. B16 motor which will do u good.

jdmcivicsilver

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hey Nickeleye welcome to the site bro . Hey what part of Ventura county do you live in? all i can say is thank god someone else is in Ventura i'm not alone. If you want the si get it .