lights dim when i step on the gas

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
ok so im having this little problem, and its pissing me off. some searching has lead me to believe that it might be my alternator. what happens is at night when im driving with all my lights on ill just be cruising and ill let off the gas and the lights will get brighter, then when i step on the gas they will get a bit more dim. i have noticed this on all the lights on the car (interior lights, headlights/foglights) it started doing this within the last couple months...

05/07 EDIT: so i replaced the alternator a few days....still doing it. is there something called a voltage regulator inside the car somewhere i can replace?

ryanM

its either the alternator or the battery

go to autozone or advanced and have them check it. they do free alternator/battery tests.

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
ok thanks bro! well the battery was replaced summer of 07. so like almost 2 years ago...could the battery go bad that quickly? im not really sure how old the alt. is because i got it off a friend...

edit: i also check all my grounds. i did the "big 3" and they all are nice and tight w/ metal to metal contact

edit again: whats leading me to believe its the alt is that when i searched i read that theres something in the alt. that tells itself how much voltage to put out depending on the rpm's. is this true? like the voltage output sensor or something...lol

enycesam

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah, it's either the alternator or battery. You should have it checked before you go replacing them though.

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
then i guess ill go tomorrow and get them checked out....

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
oh and speaking about the radio lights dimming...it even dims when the car is off...and like how i said about the radio turning off if i turn it up too hi, it does that also when the car is off

Shenanigans

I want my CR-Z already!
5+ Year Member
Batteries last about 5 years I believe. I would also suspect it's the alternator. It's dying and no longer creating enough electrical power to keep everything running at 100%.

Bugz2871

5+ Year Member
oh and speaking about the radio lights dimming...it even dims when the car is off...and like how i said about the radio turning off if i turn it up too hi, it does that also when the car is off

its alternator same thing was happing to mines my sub would go on an off an the radio would turn off an then srs came on an rpm or mph didnt move at all then the car would stall lol

ryanM

ok thanks bro! well the battery was replaced summer of 07. so like almost 2 years ago...could the battery go bad that quickly? im not really sure how old the alt. is because i got it off a friend...

edit: i also check all my grounds. i did the "big 3" and they all are nice and tight w/ metal to metal contact

edit again: whats leading me to believe its the alt is that when i searched i read that theres something in the alt. that tells itself how much voltage to put out depending on the rpm's. is this true? like the voltage output sensor or something...lol
if your alternator goes bad it can take your battery down with it.

grounds should be fine. you would be experiencing more problems if your grounds werent making contact

of course the alternator output is determined by RPM's. its driven by a BELT directly off of your crank pulley :lol:

the faster it spins, the more output

what you are experiencing is kind of backwards of how it usually happens.

usually if your alt is going bad, your lights will dim at low rpms, and as you give it more gas they brighten up.

just go get them checked tomorrow so you can know for sure.

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
if your alternator goes bad it can take your battery down with it.

grounds should be fine. you would be experiencing more problems if your grounds werent making contact

of course the alternator output is determined by RPM's. its driven by a BELT directly off of your crank pulley :lol:

the faster it spins, the more output

what you are experiencing is kind of backwards of how it usually happens.

usually if your alt is going bad, your lights will dim at low rpms, and as you give it more gas they brighten up.

just go get them checked tomorrow so you can know for sure.
:lol:

yeah! and sometimes when i step on the gas it dims but once i reach 2500 rpm they will get bright again!

i cant all of you enough for all of the quick replies.

ill go tomorrow morning and post up the result!

bmx4life54321

saving neglected honda
5+ Year Member
that happened to me and i bought a new alternator its been 3 months and my lights dim and brighten pretty much by themselves or when i go from any gear to nuetral they brighten but once i shift into another gear they go dim again might be the battery gonna go with an optimum yellow top or something

Sammo115

It be me, Sammo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hrmmm! very interesting. something very similar is happening to me as well haha. good info given.

bud6770

Your mom has vtec
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If it does it while the car is not running than its not the alternator, the alternator only affects anything if its running.

wannabe

law abiding smog tech
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
there was a recall on some of the earlier 6th gen civic because of this problem. i forget the tech bulletin number but if you feel like going down to your local honda dealership i think they may be able to look it up for you. it had something to do with the alternator and the wiring leading to the power distribution box under the hood. the steps involve checking voltage drops along the wires between the alt and dist. box with a load on the alt if i remember correctly.

DocShay

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ah, reminds me of my issue from 2 months ago when my alternator was on its way to death. Alt wouldnt charge unless I was at, at least 4k rpm lol. Anything below that and within a few seconds all my lights, rmp, gauges everything would die...powersteering go..then car stalls.

always a good time rolling up to a light/stop sign and keeping it a 4kRPM. People gave me dirty looks.

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
there was a recall on some of the earlier 6th gen civic because of this problem. i forget the tech bulletin number but if you feel like going down to your local honda dealership i think they may be able to look it up for you. it had something to do with the alternator and the wiring leading to the power distribution box under the hood. the steps involve checking voltage drops along the wires between the alt and dist. box with a load on the alt if i remember correctly.
hm, my friend works there...maybe he can look it up.

Ah, reminds me of my issue from 2 months ago when my alternator was on its way to death. Alt wouldnt charge unless I was at, at least 4k rpm lol. Anything below that and within a few seconds all my lights, rmp, gauges everything would die...powersteering go..then car stalls.

always a good time rolling up to a light/stop sign and keeping it a 4kRPM. People gave me dirty looks.
i edited the first post stating i just replaced the alternator...